The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

49 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

So Toronto can never even attempt to engage with the domestic rugby union playing community - even though it’s apparently a large part of their fanbase - in case it upsets them (even though it might be mutually beneficial for both codes to work together to attract more young people to rugby than, say, gridiron/soccer/hockey or whatever)?

Nice straw-man, no one has said they shouldn't or don`t "Engage" with them, just not antagonise them.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have seen a lot of criticism from on here that Toronto are engaging too much with the RU community and blurring the lines between RU and Rugby League. I remember a lot of criticism when they sponsored a RU event and taught generic rugby in things like festivals and the whole putting Rugby balls in children's hand slogan with Argyle not particularly minding the code. Now they are being criticised for not engaging with RU. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

So it seems there is no reason to fear engagement and tap into the Canadian RU playing community.

Confused. 

Sponsoring events and running kids clinics is different than (for example) taking national team players.

No one knows for sure why, just theories based on observations. Maybe someone at RO has pics of DA doing something naughty.

16 hours ago, TIWIT said:

But the Arrows have the full support and backing of MLR. Most of the time it seems Argyle is going it alone with little to no support from SL.

Perceptive, TIWIT. For all the relentless moaning about RU v RL, if you want RL to succeed in North America, then teams need more demonstrated support from the motherland. SL's treatment of Wolfpack has so far been disgraceful. If it stumbles locally in the face of competition from the Arrows and its MLR support, then a chunk of the blame will lie with Super League itself. And then we''ll need earplugs to mute the union-blaming, instead of introspection.

But I think that's a doomsday scenario. Canadian sports fans are capable of following both the Wolfpack and the Arrows. I don't agree that Wolfpack fans in general are primarily union fans - most are new to rugby of either code and begin as casual fans who learn the game from scratch. Both codes are still niche sports here, there's room for everyone. Some of us went to both teams' fixtures last season. Some of us bought both types of merch. No one lost an eye.

18 minutes ago, Loup said:

Perceptive, TIWIT. For all the relentless moaning about RU v RL, if you want RL to succeed in North America, then teams need more demonstrated support from the motherland. SL's treatment of Wolfpack has so far been disgraceful. If it stumbles locally in the face of competition from the Arrows and its MLR support, then a chunk of the blame will lie with Super League itself. And then we''ll need earplugs to mute the union-blaming, instead of introspection.

But I think that's a doomsday scenario. Canadian sports fans are capable of following both the Wolfpack and the Arrows. I don't agree that Wolfpack fans in general are primarily union fans - most are new to rugby of either code and begin as casual fans who learn the game from scratch. Both codes are still niche sports here, there's room for everyone. Some of us went to both teams' fixtures last season. Some of us bought both types of merch. No one lost an eye.

Im a FEV fan so have no real interest in what's going on in SL so can you tell me the above please

I like RU and played it as a youngster and I do attend Arrows games but my season ticket holder loyalty will always be Wolfpack...but I think when the Aces are added to the mix you will see more media coverage across the country. I can even see bus loads of fans field tripping back n forth between the two cities..hell I am on that bus! League just seems to inspire that kind of rabid fanaticism.

13 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

I like RU and played it as a youngster and I do attend Arrows games but my season ticket holder loyalty will always be Wolfpack...but I think when the Aces are added to the mix you will see more media coverage across the country. I can even see bus loads of fans field tripping back n forth between the two cities..hell I am on that bus! League just seems to inspire that kind of rabid fanaticism.

Me and the missus too.....let's go to Ottawa.

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

So it seems there is no reason to fear engagement and tap into the Canadian RU playing community.

Confused. 

Truer words were never spoken.

We seem to be getting bogged down in the reasons why TWP maybe can't do certain things. I'm more interested in what have they actually done so far.

When I went to the Wigan Warriors website, I quickly found the following:

School provision: https://www.wiganwarriors.com/community-education/rl-development

Rugby camps: https://www.wiganwarriors.com/community-education/rugby-camps

These are the sorts of things I would expect to see clubs doing - especially Super League clubs because they have greater funds.

If we take the year 2019, did TWP do anything along the same lines as what Wigan Warriors do?

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Cheers! You’re pretty clueless yourself, Twit 😁

I merely agreed with you and you resort to insults. Real class MoK.

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Oh! In that case I take it back. No need to tell the teacher 😉

Too late...I've already been informed MoK.....you punishment is to type "I love Toronto Wolfpack' 1000 times on the forum.  I'm going into  the bush to do some yacking for a week so I'll check in when I get back.

Just now, Kayakman said:

Too late...I've already been informed MoK.....you punishment is to type "I love Toronto Wolfpack' 1000 times on the forum.  I'm going into  the bush to do some yacking for a week so I'll check in when I get back.

Never heard it called that before!

11 hours ago, ojx said:

Interview with Argyle for those who are interested:

For a billionaire his mic is *********

Good find though Ty!

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Hope this gets sorted!

I don't understand this point from Argyl:

“We joined this competition in the belief that we would have the full support of the RFL - and ultimately success in resolving this visa issue.

“This has been going on for three and a half years now and this Covid situation has exacerbated it."

If they have Visas for 6m then they have what they need don't they (in an ordinary season)?

Obviously we are in a crazy time now and you'd like to think the Home Office would be flexible here. 

All getting rather shambolic now. I thought the Championship is a dog’s breakfast due to the impact on part-time clubs of testing costs etc but if Toronto can’t compete either - and their ‘marquee to end all marquees’ can’t play - that’s going to be very damaging to Super League, and the Sky contract going forward.

Could Argyle pull the plug?

Archived