The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't understand this point from Argyl:

“We joined this competition in the belief that we would have the full support of the RFL - and ultimately success in resolving this visa issue.

“This has been going on for three and a half years now and this Covid situation has exacerbated it."

If they have Visas for 6m then they have what they need don't they (in an ordinary season)?

Obviously we are in a crazy time now and you'd like to think the Home Office would be flexible here. 

I get the impression that they don't feel very supported by the RFL/Super League who should be the one's going to the British govt with Toronto

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

All getting rather shambolic now. I thought the Championship is a dog’s breakfast due to the impact on part-time clubs of testing costs etc but if Toronto can’t compete either - and their ‘marquee to end all marquees’ can’t play - that’s going to be very damaging to Super League, and the Sky contract going forward.

Could Argyle pull the plug?

I don't think its a money issue. They'd be fine if they can play at home

Toronto's visa issues have been going on for a long time. They've been rolling the dice from day one it was only a matter of time before it all came crashing down. They are in a tough situation they need as many foreigners as they can get to compete in super league but attracting the players is whats hardest. I think they gonna be a "yo-yo"  team like the broncos. Going up and down constantly. And the RFL isn't to blame for this either.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

I get the impression that they don't feel very supported by the RFL/Super League who should be the one's going to the British govt with Toronto

Maybe, but complaining about this being an ongoing issue undermines their argument. They have been able to play for the last few seasons, and indeed this was one of the reasons for starting in lower divisions, to iron out issues. 

Unfortunately pandemic is a difficult one to blame people for. Its a storm everyone is having to try and survive. 

12 minutes ago, briggyq said:

Surely the visa issue could, nay should have been sorted before a ball was kicked in anger?

Are you aware of this pandemic thing? 

Things have changed massively this year. 

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Are you aware of this pandemic thing? 

Things have changed massively this year. 

Whats the pandemic got to do with anything really?

The visa issue and it was clearly an issue last year when one of their players couldn't return because of, oh visa issues, as I say before a ball had been kicked this should have been sorted.

Just now, briggyq said:

Whats the pandemic got to do with anything really?

The visa issue and it was clearly an issue last year when one of their players couldn't return because of, oh visa issues, as I say before a ball had been kicked this should have been sorted.

It was sorted. Their players were allowed in for 6 months. They have ended up stuck here and likely to be here for the rest of the year because of the pandemic. 

A player having a visa issue isn't a sign of a major issue. 

The pandemic has changed things. 

The RFL will not get to just demand open access for these players. 

1 minute ago, silverback said:

Rochdale as a nice pitch.play em here they might just win one.:kolobok_wild:

groundshare with leigh maybe?

Silver , it's not the pitch thats the problem , it's not having any players 🤔

Weren’t Antipodean Toronto players playing on tourist visas?

What can be done about this at short notice given the fixture list (delayed, funny that!) is due out any day now and the season starts - and Toronto are due to play - on 2 August?

And do I detect a veiled threat against the RFL for allowing this situation to manifest?

11 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Silver , it's not the pitch thats the problem , it's not having any players 🤔

rightyho,, i thought they were stuck over here, not overseas.am sure fev will DR and lend them a few quality players..:kolobok_popcorm1:

It is an unfortunate situation in an extraordinary time, and in my opinion no blame should be attached.

Canada is currently closed to anyone but permanent residents, and they would have to quarantine for 14 days

The Home Office is currently lightly staffed with many people not expected to return to work till August 1st. As a result backlogs have built up in areas such as issue of passports and extension of visas to the extent that NHS staff from outside the EU were told their visas would automatically be extended as otherwise the Home Office would be unable to process their renewals. The RFL are going to have much joy getting an extension for the Wolfpack if there is no one available to talk to from the Home Office.

The only possible solution that I can see available is that TW base themselves in a Schengen area country for the maximum permissible three months, (the obvious country would be France) hoping that Canada opens up in the meantime. If not then they would need to relocate again to a non Schengen country such as Croatia or Cyprus.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

2 minutes ago, flyingking said:

It is an unfortunate situation in an extraordinary time, and in my opinion no blame should be attached.

Canada is currently closed to anyone but permanent residents, and they would have to quarantine for 14 days

The Home Office is currently lightly staffed with many people not expected to return to work till August 1st. As a result backlogs have built up in areas such as issue of passports and extension of visas to the extent that NHS staff from outside the EU were told their visas would automatically be extended as otherwise the Home Office would be unable to process their renewals. The RFL are going to have much joy getting an extension for the Wolfpack if there is no one available to talk to from the Home Office.

The only possible solution that I can see available is that TW base themselves in a Schengen area country for the maximum permissible three months, (the obvious country would be France) hoping that Canada opens up in the meantime. If not then they would need to relocate again to a non Schengen country such as Croatia or Cyprus.

But surely the Canadian situation doesn’t come into this. The problem is Toronto players can’t get certain players into the UK, where they are based (Rochdale).

22 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Weren’t Antipodean Toronto players playing on tourist visas?

What can be done about this at short notice given the fixture list (delayed, funny that!) is due out any day now and the season starts - and Toronto are due to play - on 2 August?

And do I detect a veiled threat against the RFL for allowing this situation to manifest?

I think the fixtures have just as much to do with how nearly half the clubs (not including Toronto) haven't agreed pay deals with their own players.

The Toronto visa scenario seems to be a product of being Canadian employees rather than British

From my reading of the situation, they are not trying to get players into the UK. The non British players have now lived in the UK for the maximum six months that is permitted. If there is no resolution of the situation then the players affected will be classed as overstayers, and will be subject to removal and being banned from entering the UK in future.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think the fixtures have just as much to do with how nearly half the clubs (not including Toronto) haven't agreed pay deals with their own players.

The Toronto visa scenario seems to be a product of being Canadian employees rather than British

TBH I’ve got more faith in the pay dispute being resolved than Toronto sorting out the visa issue, which has been a problem at the best of times let alone during a pandemic.  

Just now, Man of Kent said:

TBH I’ve got more faith in the pay dispute being resolved than Toronto sorting out the visa issue, which has been a problem at the best of times let alone during a pandemic.  

Having good knowledge of the Wakefield scenario I'm less confident lol.

The visa issue for Toronto in the past has been based on previous offences iirc. Whereas this is entirely down to the pandemic extending the time Toronto players have spent in the UK.

How does the Premier League deal with this? Or the various F1 teams with all their foreign employees?

SL\RFL should be bend ing over backwards to help sort this out.

3 hours ago, SL17 said:

Does Argyle own a F1 team? Or a PL club?

For all his wealth, even he can’t sort it out.

There is guidance to follow and both RFL/SL have followed that. SL will resume again. Toronto need to follow the UK guidance, they are in that competition. 

Not a case of bending over backwards for anyone really. Given the sport governs them.

Not the other way round...

You really don't have a clue do you? Where were the Wolfpack players supposed to go given that air travel has been shut down for 6 months? I assume other foreign players have gained some sort of exemption - why not the Wolfpack? And the SL/RFL should be dealing with the government on behalf of any and all of their member clubs.

10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Could Argyle pull the plug?

Honestly who could blame him if he did. A combination of little to no support from the RFL/SL, the pandemic resulting in no home games till at least 2021 and some less than stellar performances from people hired to hold key roles (Noble, Vickers). If after all this he still wants to be involved in RL then he is a saint, sadly, like Dr Koucash, I suspect he will be lost to RL. Now watch the Arrows make an opportunistic move!  

Archived