The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

6 hours ago, TIWIT said:

How does the Premier League deal with this? Or the various F1 teams with all their foreign employees?

SL\RFL should be bend ing over backwards to help sort this out.

This is clearly unique to TWP as other clubs overseas players are OK. 

I haven't a clue how visa's work but clearly they aren't eligible for the same ones as other SL players - I wonder what the reason for that is? 

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, TIWIT said:

How does the Premier League deal with this? Or the various F1 teams with all their foreign employees?

Probably very differently as none of them plan to be based in North America for any length of time. 

49 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This is clearly unique to TWP as other clubs overseas players are OK. 

I haven't a clue how visa's work but clearly they aren't eligible for the same ones as other SL players - I wonder what the reason for that is? 

I think its because the Wolfpack are a Canadian based company - so their relationship with the UK government is one of a foreign organisation not domestic. 

7 hours ago, TIWIT said:

They're all UK or EU based companies meaning visas (if at all needed) are for work in the UK.

Toronto are a Canadian based company that operates part time in the UK which is slightly different to any of the examples you cite.

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

Does Argyle own a F1 team? Or a PL club?

For all his wealth, even he can’t sort it out.

There is guidance to follow and both RFL/SL have followed that. SL will resume again. Toronto need to follow the UK guidance, they are in that competition. 

Not a case of bending over backwards for anyone really. Given the sport governs them.

Not the other way round...

You once again exhibit your lack of knowledge in...well everything. Well done.

1 hour ago, Oldbear said:

Honestly who could blame him if he did. A combination of little to no support from the RFL/SL, the pandemic resulting in no home games till at least 2021 and some less than stellar performances from people hired to hold key roles (Noble, Vickers). If after all this he still wants to be involved in RL then he is a saint, sadly, like Dr Koucash, I suspect he will be lost to RL. Now watch the Arrows make an opportunistic move!  

I wouldn’t blame him either but then again there’s been more than a hint of dodgy practice about Toronto in their short history and it looks like it’s come back to bite them on the ######.

8 hours ago, flyingking said:

From my reading of the situation, they are not trying to get players into the UK. The non British players have now lived in the UK for the maximum six months that is permitted. If there is no resolution of the situation then the players affected will be classed as overstayers, and will be subject to removal and being banned from entering the UK in future.

Thats how I read it, you would think the UK could relax the end date of the Visa`s in this extreme situation but we have a problem with this too as I`m currently involved in a project with a Canadian company and getting them into the country has been awkward to say the least.

Further clarification from Gareth Walker on twitter.

Toronto's foreign players are on competition visas normally used by international teams/tennis players/golfers etc. These last 6 months in total. Normally Toronto would have spent significant time in Canada by now but risk using up their Visa time on lockdown.

25 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think its because the Wolfpack are a Canadian based company - so their relationship with the UK government is one of a foreign organisation not domestic. 

I expect it is something like that, but I'm not sure where the anger is coming in here, from anyone really. Unless the RFL are not doing their job right now, but that doesn't match Argyl's complaints about the last few years.

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Further clarification from Gareth Walker on twitter.

Toronto's foreign players are on competition visas normally used by international teams/tennis players/golfers etc. These last 6 months in total. Normally Toronto would have spent significant time in Canada by now but risk using up their Visa time on lockdown.

It does beg the question why these players on't have a UK visa like other overseas players, and use these comp visas in Canada, as they spend the majority of time in the UK it seems. 

Is it perhaps more difficult to get this type of visa in Canada?

In any case, I'm still not sure of the anger or calls of farce, this is purely down to being stuck in the UK and being likely to play all games in the UK instead of home games in Canada.

Just now, Dave T said:

I expect it is something like that, but I'm not sure where the anger is coming in here, from anyone really. Unless the RFL are not doing their job right now, but that doesn't match Argyl's complaints about the last few years.

Yeah I've seen some clarification on twitter and they're on the 6 month competition visas that international sportspeople use. 

I suppose he'll want some support talking to the British government from the British league his team plays in - if the RFL can get the £16million loan you'd think they would be helpful expediting this. Otherwise he's just another foreign company with a problem at the home office.

Just now, Dave T said:

It does beg the question why these players on't have a UK visa like other overseas players, and use these comp visas in Canada, as they spend the majority of time in the UK it seems. 

Is it perhaps more difficult to get this type of visa in Canada?

In any case, I'm still not sure of the anger or calls of farce, this is purely down to being stuck in the UK and being likely to play all games in the UK instead of home games in Canada.

Yep totally. I suppose they can't get UK visas like say Rhyse Martin at the Rhinos can because they are registered as employees of a Canadian business not a British one.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Yep totally. I suppose they can't get UK visas like say Rhyse Martin at the Rhinos can because they are registered as employees of a Canadian business not a British one.

Don't they also have a UK registered arm as well though?

There was always a risk of this odd setup coming back to bite them on the ass, but I suppose nobody would have predicted this scenario!

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Don't they also have a UK registered arm as well though?

There was always a risk of this odd setup coming back to bite them on the ass, but I suppose nobody would have predicted this scenario!

I believe so but I was under the impression it was a sort of shell company with minimal assets. The British players are paid in Canadian dollars.

Lol I know this has really blown a hole in any planning!

I believe so but I was under the impression it was a sort of shell company with minimal assets. The British players are paid in Canadian dollars.

As I think you said earlier, you'd really like to think this can be resolved for these 7 employees affected by the pandemic. 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

As I think you said earlier, you'd really like to think this can be resolved for these 7 employees affected by the pandemic. 

You would, but this is Rugby League, no, EXPANSION Rugby League and the current government we're talking about here...

57 minutes ago, dkw said:

Thats how I read it, you would think the UK could relax the end date of the Visa`s in this extreme situation but we have a problem with this too as I`m currently involved in a project with a Canadian company and getting them into the country has been awkward to say the least.

Where I am some have to leave the Country every month and then return to satisfy the requirements of their Visa (Multiple entry).  This has been relaxed by the Govt for the period the virus has been about as it is none of their fault.  Eventually this will change but who knows when.

31 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

How has the pay in Dollars affected things Tom?

27 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

How has the pay in Dollars affected things Tom?

No idea, it just shows how they are operating as a Canadian company which has undoubtedly been a major factor in this Visa scenario.

No idea, it just shows how they are operating as a Canadian company which has undoubtedly been a major factor in this Visa scenario.

I thought they had always been operating as a Canadian Company.  I doubt the British players will be paid Dollars in cash or cheque.  Most likely they will be getting paid in Sterling after conversion from Dollars through Bank Transfer.  

7 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I thought they had always been operating as a Canadian Company.  I doubt the British players will be paid Dollars in cash or cheque.  Most likely they will be getting paid in Sterling after conversion from Dollars through Bank Transfer.  

I'm only reporting what I've heard on podcasts from players. 

The point being that this shows the Wolfpack are a Canadian company that makes them acutely different regarding non-EU visas to everyone else in Super League. Hence their use of competition visas.

31 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

It will influence where they pay their taxes, I assume. This would also have an effect upon visas etc.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

According to articles in the Daily Mirror and The Sun the Wolfpack and RFL/SL have been in regular contact over this issue with the RFL/SL liaising with the Home Office and the Sun article says that the visas have already been extended twice, so I suppose a further extension may not be out of the question. The newspaper articles and one on the BBC website mention a potential for the squad to be filled out by players loaned from other clubs. The articles state that Argyle isn't keen on that for reasons of competitiveness and risk of injury to temporarily recruited young players due to short turnaround times. Surely that though would be a better alternative than not completing their fixtures (would that result in them being forcibly relegated if it happened?). One player from each of the other SL clubs would bring their squad up to 25 (one article states they have 14 unaffected players already) which is more players than they had in the first place anyway.

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

It will influence where they pay their taxes, I assume. This would also have an effect upon visas etc.

Declared as part of normal IR procedures but dependant on how long(if at all) they stay out.  Dont know the Canadian tax laws.

Dependent on what Visas they have, will dictate whether they can have a Canadian bank account (I dont know Canadian rules but this is normally how it works).  They could be paid into that bank and keep it in the account,  or transfer the money to the UK from there.  If they didnt have an account, they would be paid in cash to transfer themselves from any Bureau de Change.

Archived