The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

They're not minor league because they are the top of (our version) of the sport, aren't subservient to anybody,  pay a living wage and are a (the only) fully professional national level in the country.

The standard of play satisfies millions of Canadians, many of whom would argue that it is better than NFL style football with the larger field, freedom of pre snap motion,  and more exciting play since we don't have the extra down.

And are begging for $150 million from Ottawa to tide them over. Chump change to TSN/Bell

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

Since we are all about random rumours from sources this has been making its rounds on facebook:

Regarding VISAs, Super League has an agreement with the Home Office and Clubs that are full members get different VISA rules and preferential treatment.  Super League didn't want to make Toronto a full member; therefore, TWP has to play by a different set of rules than everyone else.

This issue has been apparently made known to the RFL for some time and nothing was done about it.  Also, the rumour is SKY have gotten involved and are threatening to withdraw funding completely from the other Super League clubs for breach of contract should TWP not play. 

An article in a national newspaper with an on the record quote from Bob Hunter confirming late payment issues is hardly in the same league as a Facebook rumour. 

Toronto have done a lot of good, they get good crowds and have done an unbelievable job to get this far, but to pretend they're without flaws or question is laughable. They had some pretty poor administrators with shady track records at other clubs and a trail of allegations of late wages, non payment of transfer fees and non payment of contractors, some confirmed officially others not.

Here is just one of those instances, reported by a Canadian paper last year.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2019/01/06/missed-payroll-just-a-glitch-says-toronto-wolfpack.html

The world is not black and white and no club is without it's criticisms. This increasingly polarised thread is just becoming ridiculous as you can't say something good or bad about TW without being lumped into one of these opposing camps. 

6 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

And are begging for $150 million from Ottawa to tide them over. Chump change to TSN/Bell

*initial request for up to $150 Mil, as a worst case for not playing at all this year.

Super League received £16 Mil.... So government aid = minor league? Chump change to Sky....

1 hour ago, Jayme2020 said:

Youl could say the same about the NHl then many players get cut from the Russian KHL and head to the NHL.

Is that so?  Which KHL castoffs are playing in the NHL then because I've never heard of any.

2 hours ago, TheReaper said:

*initial request for up to $150 Mil, as a worst case for not playing at all this year.

Super League received £16 Mil.... So government aid = minor league? Chump change to Sky....

Quite a gap between $150 million and £16 million, even with the exchange rate.

Sky televise SL games. TSN airs CFL games. TSN's parent owns the company that owns the CFL team in the league's worst city. Which is Toronto and no one in Toronto cares about the CFL anymore. They are the secondary tenant in their stadium to a soccer team that outdraws them 2-to-1.

TSN airs CFL games on their national cable network. NFL games are aired over the main FTA CTV/CTV2 networks.

Any way you look at it the CFL is a secondary sport in much of the country where it is perceived as minor league. Which is not to say you can't be a CFL fan and love the game. Many do. But not in the same numbers as before. To pretend the CFL isn't in long-term trouble is about the same as those here who don't think RL is in a similar state.

9 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Holy Cow!   I guy goes off in the Bush for a week and comes back to a whole new scenario.  What is actually going on?

to be honest kman with all the  shananagins  supposedly going on at TWP you might have been better off staying there🌲🌲🌲🌲🚶‍♀️🌲🌲🌲🌲😀

1 hour ago, POR said:

to be honest kman with all the  shananagins  supposedly going on at TWP you might have been better off staying there🌲🌲🌲🌲🚶‍♀️🌲🌲🌲🌲😀

I'm going out again in a few days...might be out for awhile this time........depends on the weather.

5 minutes ago, silverback said:

Save me a leg,😀

What does that mean?  I break my paddle travels into topo map 'legs'; you looking to come along for a couple of legs?  No Covid where I go.

16 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Sorry Jayne, but the CFL is the very definition of minor league. The standard of play isn't very good. Very few players make over $100000. Even a second rate American player makes far more on an NFL taxisquad when they used to come up here to hone their game.

60 years ago the CFL and AFL were more or less competitive. The Grey Cup winner now couldn't beat a good NCAA school.

And in the big Can cities. fans definitely perceive the Argos, Als and Lions as minor league

I would totally disagree I have followed CFL for around 20 years and much prefer it to the NFL its far more exciting.

As for minor league I get it that they are struggling in Toronto and BC however even in those 2 markets the average crowds was around 12000 and 18000 last season other teams like Calgary/Edmonton/Rough Riders average 23/25000 and Ottawa have over 20000 season ticket holders.

If thats minor league then we will certainly have some of it LOL:)

Paul

2 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I get it that they are struggling in Toronto and BC however even in those 2 markets the average crowds was around 12000 and 18000 last season other teams like Calgary/Edmonton/Rough Riders average 23/25000 and Ottawa have over 20000 season ticket holders.

Toronto Argos crowds are getting smaller as the fan base gets older.  CFL isn't doing well at attracting young sports fans, who are choosing other teams to follow.

1 minute ago, Loup said:

Toronto Argos crowds are getting smaller as the fan base gets older.  CFL isn't doing well at attracting young sports fans, who are choosing other teams to follow.

This is one of the main problems people point out with rugby league in this country, especially I think at lower league teams. I see a lot of kids at games but I support one of the biggest teams so I'm not necessarily in a position to judge as such.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

What does that mean?  I break my paddle travels into topo map 'legs'; you looking to come along for a couple of legs?  No Covid where I go.

its a term mentioned when turkey gets put on table for christmas,(you have to be fast in our house with only 2 legs) but i could just see you butchering some bigfoot out in the wilderness, have a nice bbq and stay safe.keep one in the chamber.

2 hours ago, silverback said:

its a term mentioned when turkey gets put on table for christmas,(you have to be fast in our house with only 2 legs) but i could just see you butchering some bigfoot out in the wilderness, have a nice bbq and stay safe.keep one in the chamber.

Thanks Silverback but I won't be taking a rifle along (some explosives though)...I'm on the constant move but you are correct...I will take any small game along the way for a meal if possible....I carry a high powered slingshot for this very purpose.  I won't be heading out for at least 1 week i figure....very rough waters and dangerous cliff terrain faces me on this one.

10 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Thanks Silverback but I won't be taking a rifle along (some explosives though)...I'm on the constant move but you are correct...I will take any small game along the way for a meal if possible....I carry a high powered slingshot for this very purpose.  I won't be heading out for at least 1 week i figure....very rough waters and dangerous cliff terrain faces me on this one.

You aint john j  rambo are you...:kolobok_hunter:

Archived