The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

When do you think the message will get across?

Once we take control and are in charge of things....then you will finally get the message hopefully.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16/07/2020 at 13:02, Damien said:

I take on board the criticism of them but it has to be at the right time and the right context. We very rarely see that and it is is usually criticising anything positive by comparing apples to oranges. It is also generally repetitive criticisms that have been answered time and again.

Things like positive threads about sponsorship deals getting turned into criticism about youth development. Or indeed any thread getting turned into one about youth development. Criticisms about not paying players then turning into criticisms about paying players too much within a few posts without the same poster batting an eyelid. Or people saying visa issues are everything to do with Toronto and blindly dismissing any mitigating circumstances, such as Covid-19 or the fact that it is obviously more complicated than the detractors are making out, dealing with the Home Office for 3 years indicates that. Many of the criticisms we see are no more than trolling.

Why is criticism of clubs such as Huddersfield, Salford, Wakefield etc tolerated but not Toronto?

Why can people pour scorn on those clubs regarding the same things you talk about but not Toronto?

Why do people have to praise Toronto for something but then slaughter those other clubs for doing the same?

I have no issue regarding Toronto, I can't say i agree with the way they've been allowed to operate and make their way to the top league, but at the same time, done right i hope it can be successful and good for the game, I've yet to see any evidence of any player development or roots set down, but they shouldn't be immune from criticism and people who criticise or don't tug themselves to sleep at night over them shouldn't be called out or name called either.

41 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

As you have stated previously, all this nonsense about TWP discrimination is made up...Ya, right.

£200k is roughly a month’s wage bill and we know Toronto haven’t paid their players for June.

We also know Toronto have a history of late payment and unpaid bills.

I could call Super League chairmen a lot of things but foolish isn’t one of them.

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

The precedent has been set. No loan for the Wolfpack means no loans for the other Super League clubs.

That's not the case at all. It would depend on who was making the loan.

For example, if the money was coming from the government loan to the sport then its only right that an overseas entity does not benefit from UK taxpayers money.

Furthermore, very few clubs in this country get loans from the governing body - it tends to be an advance on their central funding allocation. Given that Toronto have no central funding then that's a non-starter.

So, given that they can't have UK taxpayer money or an advance of central funding then who was going to be making this loan to them ?

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

On 16/07/2020 at 18:45, Red Willow said:

For me part of the issue with new clubs is that their fans get carried away. We can all recall posts from a small number of TWP fans telling how they will smash all ahead of them. Argyle mad the same mistakes as Koukash did (and I don't mean employing Noble and Chambers) They shout about the money and how they will shake up the world of RL. Reality hits hard.

I wish them well in future if other clubs intend to spend large periods here they will probably need to full visas

It's not just new clubs' fans, I remember Leigh fans suddenly becoming the most arrogant set I've ever come across, on this board in particular there were some excruciating stuff from some of the Leythers, Salford fans too got a bit carried away with Dr Koukash's plan to take over the world, even fans of my own club have given it "the big un" over the years, myself included probably.

It therefore is to be expected that others that were turned off by the gloating, suddenly become gloaters and they should deal with it, some clearly can't.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Do you mean the parachute? Which was the first year, anyway that was SL not RFL

No, I mean where Leigh failed to make the middle 8s and DB threatened to pull the plug. You know what I mean because we discussed it on this very board not a month ago - you were very supportive of the action then.

28 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

No, I mean where Leigh failed to make the middle 8s and DB threatened to pull the plug. You know what I mean because we discussed it on this very board not a month ago - you were very supportive of the action then.

I honestly don't see the connection Tommy.

This is simply a culmination of many other 'problems'.   Make Toronto (and Catalans) full members, co operate with them rather than putting up barriers, I know it won't be perfect but at least it would be a start.  Lets all work together to make things better...be reasonable.

12 minutes ago, ojx said:

I thought Argyle was a billionaire who was funding this club, I still don't understand why the need a loan. 

Yeah that seems very odd. Perhaps he doesn't want to put any more cash in until some things are more settled?

4 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

Yeah that seems very odd. Perhaps he doesn't want to put any more cash in until some things are more settled?

But won't he still be responsible to repay the loan? whatever happens, if I was loaning money to Toronto I would want a cast iron guarantee it would be re-payed.

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Like they did in 2018 with Leigh?

They didn't allow anything. Derek was quite open that the players had let the club down badly and he was unwilling to bankroll their wages for another season. A big chunk found clubs quickly like Matautia, Hansen and Thompson, some took a wage cut immediately and a few hung out for a while before reaching agreement if reluctantly. If Leigh had entered administration then points reduction seems to be the punishment handed out by the RFL, which would have made no difference to that season.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

This is simply a culmination of many other 'problems'.   Make Toronto (and Catalans) full members, co operate with them rather than putting up barriers, I know it won't be perfect but at least it would be a start.  Lets all work together to make things better...be reasonable.

We can't compare Toronto and the Catalan Dragons!
The Catalan team has a solid foundation, many supporters' partners really paying for their seats in the stadium, a real culture, etc.
Since the beginning Toronto even if there is someone behind with a little money and a whimsical project, the business plan with the garden beer etc is not possible any more currently.
Personally, I never believed in it and I find it a shame to have sacrificed the Toulouse project for such an unreliable project.

Even without the Covid crisis, the Toronto project was not reliable ... even less now!

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

23 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

They didn't allow anything. Derek was quite open that the players had let the club down badly and he was unwilling to bankroll their wages for another season. A big chunk found clubs quickly like Matautia, Hansen and Thompson, some took a wage cut immediately and a few hung out for a while before reaching agreement if reluctantly. If Leigh had entered administration then points reduction seems to be the punishment handed out by the RFL, which would have made no difference to that season.

Yeah sure mate

Super League club chiefs who set traps for the Wolfpack all season should hang their heads in shame. I'm not a vindictive fan and I don't wish ill on any club. But I sure hope Sky asks for its tv money back.

Major implications for lost fixtures, gates and TV revenue this season and beyond.

Let’s hope the damage to the rest of Super League by the Toronto s**tshow can be mitigated.

On the plus side, this gives every reason to Super League to sort out the structure and reintroduce licensing, with clubs they actually want.

I said weeks ago it looked like toronto were signing players and letting others go to get ready for championship.The yound lad brearley will do fine for them.he played well for us but just needs game time outside Sl for a couple of years.

Archived