The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

On the plus side, this gives every reason to Super League to sort out the structure and reintroduce licensing, with clubs they actually want.

Super League had all the tools this season to handle this situation better, and they fell on their faces.  I don't share your confidence. They couldn't sort a tube of Smarties.

7 minutes ago, Havenwarrior said:

Toronto withdraw for rest of 2020 Season, surely that means Relegation.

You would expect that it would do. On the face of it this would seemingly increase the prospect of the Championship resuming in some form with promotion on the table. Previously I would have thought that unlikely but if the Operational Rules state that TWP should be relegated then we need a way to decide on a 12th team in SL next year and promoting one from whatever can be salvaged of the Championship seems the most sensible option for that.

Interesting  statement from chairman Bob Hunter

We take great comfort from knowing our fans in Canada will continue to be a part of our incredible journey, and look forward to seeing you all in Toronto for our 2021 Super League season.”

This is the end, I suspect Mr Argyle has had enough, too bad he hired incompetent people to run the operation and the result has been incompetence across all sectors. I think that FCL is correct in saying that SL would have got its expansion in a much more reliable manner if Toulouse had been promoted,  instead the focus seemed purely on getting Toronto to SL. I suspect the NA dream is now dead so time to refocus on France as well as promising areas in the UK.

In my opinion this is the problem when the whole existence of a club is down to one man, should he get bored, lose patience or get frustrated there is no back up plan, and of course if he makes bad hires it’s almost impossible to criticise him since he writes the cheque’s. I don’t buy the other investors story, this has always been one mans plaything and the toy doesn’t look attractive anymore. I think even without Covid this would probably been the last season, the team was nailed on to finish bottom from week1 and would certainly have been relegated, and I suspect Mr Argyle only has eyes for the big stage, otherwise he would have not been in such a hurry to get there in the first place. I expect Mr Argyle to resurface as part owner of an MLR team in the future and I hope Mr Vickers does not find employment in pro sport again.

2 minutes ago, Loup said:

Super League had all the tools this season to handle this situation better, and they fell on their faces.  I don't share your confidence. They couldn't sort a tube of Smarties.

I already sensed the writing was on the wall when they got no help from the league with players.

I'm glad David saw sense and didn't waste any more money as he would have burned millions with no opportunity to recover any costs due to having to play every game in England and no access to TV money.

My bet is Ottawa and New York don't come to fruition now.

2 minutes ago, Loup said:

I have been supportive of TWP but as someone said in an earlier post when lock-down started TWP could have allowed their overseas players to go home, for at least some of the last few months, to have reduced the running down of the clock on the visas. The decision to withdraw coupled with press reports of a loan request suggest that David Argyle may have lost interest too. A real shame for their fans and those losing jobs if this is the beginning of the end.

Predictable responses. 

TWP had the opportunity to withdraw over the last few weeks, probably on relatively decent terms - against the Covid backdrop it could have avoided too much outside criticism. It would have been a reasonable response to the world collapsing.

But based on announcing they would be continuing, there is no excuse for them now withdrawing. And that should be it for TWP.

2 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

I think that FCL is correct in saying that SL would have got its expansion in a much more reliable manner if Toulouse had been promoted,  instead the focus seemed purely on getting Toronto to SL.

What does this even mean? 

Fans insist that an SL place should be earned on the field. Toronto earnt their place in SL on the field. There was no "focus" on getting Toronto into SL. 

From a contractual point of view, what do people think Sky will do? 

Will Sky be ok as long as they get enough TV games with 11 teams or will a team be needed from the Championship to make up the numbers... And how will this team be picked. 

It seems TWP is done now. Its a sad end tbh. A shame for things to end like this. 

They won't be the last sporting team to go due to covid. The economics of travel will be much tougher now and complex. 

I wonder what will now happen in the Challenge Cup? TWP were due to play Newcastle who may end up withdrawing from the cup if League 1 doesn't start. That would give us 7 teams in the quarter finals. Somebody might end up with byes all the way to the semi finals.

Don’t see Ottawa starting now, and I never believed in New York, playing sport across 2 continents is tough, even for well organized sports.

4 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

I wonder what will now happen in the Challenge Cup? TWP were due to play Newcastle who may end up withdrawing from the cup if League 1 doesn't start. That would give us 7 teams in the quarter finals. Somebody might end up with byes all the way to the semi finals.

Only in rugby league would a cup fixture be announced involving clubs that still haven't a clue if they are playing the season out, shambolic mess.

2 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

If so, should Featherstone get their place being the beaten Grand Finalists?

Not that simple though, maybe a redo of last years playoffs given that the team eliminated by TWP in the previous round would also have cause for complaint. Maybe this gets a form of the Championship running again, now there’s a prize.

Oh and to respond to Michael I meant that for years the RFL has looked critically at Toulouse but less so at TWP.

4 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

From a contractual point of view, what do people think Sky will do? 

Will Sky be ok as long as they get enough TV games with 11 teams or will a team be needed from the Championship to make up the numbers... And how will this team be picked. 

It seems TWP is done now. Its a sad end tbh. A shame for things to end like this. 

They won't be the last sporting team to go due to covid. The economics of travel will be much tougher now and complex. 

Why will they be done, didn’t you see what they said about 2021?

2 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Don’t see Ottawa starting now, and I never believed in New York, playing sport across 2 continents is tough, even for well organized sports.

I think transcontinental leagues are an idea that are unlikely to have much support in the post covid world. 

Super Rugby in Union is likely to go to a trans tasman competition. Other sports will take note too. Travel will be a bigger factor than it was seen to be before. 

1 minute ago, snoopdog said:

Only in rugby league would a cup fixture be announced involving clubs that still haven't a clue if they are playing the season out, shambolic mess.

Not really. What would have happened if a mid table League one club had made the FA cup quarter finals? It would have been the same situation 

Archived