The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why will they be done, didn’t you see what they said about 2021?

I just feel realistically given the state of the world with covid and that they had not attracted any big TV deals, the economics of running the team as well as the lack of support from other teams in regard to loans etc means they are probably done as are all the NA expansion teams.

I may be wrong on this however I feel the writing is on the wall now for TWP and the future idea of NA teams playing in the English system. 

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would have been nice for this to be announced prior to the e-mails, over the past week, indicating re-start and fixture dates.

That said, when you consider the context of zero central funding, covering visiting teams' costs, TV deal not being open for re-negotiation until after this/next season (thank you, Sky Soports for having already sold the Canadian rights to Sportsnet), zero gates' ticket sales, and a global pandemic affecting international travel (even the Toronto Blue Jays will not play in the city, this season), then it's not really surprising that a team would withdraw from a season.

I just hope that the RFL, and those here who have done nothing but berate the team and its efforts for years, will be able to see past individual biases and push for the team being able to re-start along with SL in 2020.

To say that the current situation is unprecedented would be an understatement.  To hope that the TWP (and other teams who are struggling) will continue, and succeed, should be our shared goal and is in our collective best interests.

I will be putting my money where my mouth is, and rolling over my family's season ticket memberships to 2021.  Hopefully, this will not be in vain.

28 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Major implications for lost fixtures, gates and TV revenue this season and beyond.

Let’s hope the damage to the rest of Super League by the Toronto s**tshow can be mitigated.

On the plus side, this gives every reason to Super League to sort out the structure and reintroduce licensing, with clubs they actually want.

Thats the rough nub for fans of some sides cheering with glee at this.

3 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Not that simple though, maybe a redo of last years playoffs given that the team eliminated by TWP in the previous round would also have cause for complaint. Maybe this gets a form of the Championship running again, now there’s a prize.

Oh and to respond to Michael I meant that for years the RFL has looked critically at Toulouse but less so at TWP.

To be fair old bear the team eliminated by TWP in the previous round toulouse were soundly beaten by FEV 36 12 in the  semi final so they can hardly complain

14 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

If so, should Featherstone get their place being the beaten Grand Finalists?

No. Good try though.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Ideally, if there is enough interest to watch Toronto play league 1 and Championship teams from small northern English towns, there is enough interest for a domestic competition where they will play much more familiar names. New York, Ottawa, Toronto and any other NA teams playing each other will long term be more sustainable. That will be genuine expansion. 

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’m gutted to hear this, though it’s no surprise. Given the circumstances I hope TWP will be allowed to participate in SL next season. 

Would you be as benevolent if this was Salford or Wakefield or Hull KR withdrawing for what are essentially financial reasons ? 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

‘Super League Europe and The RFL have been in regular dialogue over the past weeks and months regarding Wolfpack’s ability to take part in the competition and firm assurances had been received as recently as last Thursday, July 16.’

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/56914/statement--toronto-wolfpack

They are done. 

Maybe they were a bit of a final F U to certain people

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’m gutted to hear this, though it’s no surprise. Given the circumstances I hope TWP will be allowed to participate in SL next season. 

The fact they were being forced to pay for stadium rentals, covid testing, etc is ridiculous given the circumstances.

I am sad I won't get to watch TWP which is the entire reason I paid for another subscription to Sportsnet a few weeks ago.

We shall see if they return next season. 

I find it funny that the biggest face of the league won't be playing this season:

89262335_4056080721072526_77116136081693

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Makes up for a hostile environment Theresa May would be proud of I suppose

Perhaps.

I was hoping they might have come back another day - with a sane recruitment policy - but on the face of it this appears to be a jihadist attack.

4 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

The fact they were being forced to pay for stadium rentals, covid testing, etc is ridiculous given the circumstances.

I am sad I won't get to watch TWP which is the entire reason I paid for another subscription to Sportsnet a few weeks ago.

I find it funny that the biggest face of the league won't be playing this season:

89262335_4056080721072526_77116136081693

Don’t all clubs have to pay for stadiums and testing?

4 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Is it completely ridiculous to ask a full time professional rugby club to cover the costs to test their own employees, and to rent stadiums for them to play their home games in as they are unable to play in their usual home venue which they would have rented?

3 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

We have clubs been around years and years who are praying the season doesn't start because they can't even afford to test players! Yet people are rejoicing that Toronto can't or won't continue to outlay vasts amount of cash to see this meaningless season out, there will be no relegation, let's hope Mr Argyle sees past this shambolic organisation and continues to fund the club despite having both arms tied behind his back.

43 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Major implications for lost fixtures, gates and TV revenue this season and beyond.

Let’s hope the damage to the rest of Super League by the Toronto s**tshow can be mitigated.

A solution for tv revenue implications.

Toronto are given an equal share of the sky money to complete the 2020 season. As should of been the case from day 1.

If the other short sighted greedy Super League clubs hadn’t taken Toronto’s share of the tv money this would never of happened.

Not that it has come as a surprise sadly this has been on the cards from the kick off long before Covid hit,that clearly has been the final straw by the looks of it but an unsustainable business model was always going to be tough to maintain in good times let alone in the bad times that are coming.

Just now, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

A solution for tv revenue implications.

Toronto are given an equal share of the sky money to complete the 2020 season. As should of been the case from day 1.

If the other short sighted greedy Super League clubs hadn’t taken Toronto’s share of the tv money this would never of happened.

Too late, isn’t it? They have withdrawn. 

Archived