The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, meast said:

Well, that ended well!

For a club that many on here fawned over and labelled as the saviours of the sport etc it's all a bit shambolic and embarrassing

Bought their way through semi professional league and then didn't have a clue what to do when it came to playing in the big boys' playground

Another fine example of "expansion" working.

Is your last sentence actually solely Toronto’s fault though?

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Chrispmartha said:

I would love both a successful London and Toronto side in SL - doesn’t give them a free pass from criticism though

As has been mentioned before and indeed in Phil's post, its not criticism people dispute, its their fundamental right to exist.

10 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

Rugby League as a sport - fans, owners, administrators, the lot - gets what it deserves.

There was an opportunity here, an owner who's spent £10m, a growing fanbase and a very attractive market, for us to exploit. But no, the SL clubs would rather pocket an easy £200,000 and watch the opportunity sail on by. Anything else would have required some hard work and RL always takes the easy way out.

You wanted a parochial sport, fine, that's what you've got. The future in England is abundantly clear; a second rate domestic competition, ignored by the rest of the country, played in front of crowds of old men hankering after yesterday's glory, that produces players for the NRL and union.

This. At any other time Rugby League would be crying out for a well backed and funded team like Toronto with great attendances. I despair that we are just going to throw all that away for nothing and I really hope that's not the case.

5 minutes ago, meast said:

Well, that ended well!

For a club that many on here fawned over and labelled as the saviours of the sport etc it's all a bit shambolic and embarrassing

Bought their way through semi professional league and then didn't have a clue what to do when it came to playing in the big boys' playground

Another fine example of "expansion" working.

Yeah like they could have foreseen Coronavirus. Jesus wept.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

This. At any other time Rugby League would be crying out for a well backed and funded team like Toronto with great attendances. I despair that we are just going to throw all that away for nothing and I really hope that's not the case.

If they are well funded they would pay their players on time

20 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

I'd worry how many fans will turn to the Arrows with their support now. I'd be hopefull that they will return in 2021 however.

You worry about that Keith, we'll worry about much bigger issues

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

If they are well funded they would pay their players on time

They have survived with no TV funding since their inception and only face issues now due to Covid-19 and the prospect of no home games for a year. They seem to be better funded than most UK RL teams to do that. I'd say Arygle is more fed up with hitting his head against a wall and thinks what's the point.

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

Considering the TW players refused to turn up for training today after missed payments, questions do need to be asked about the quality of funding. 

1 hour ago, wiganermike said:

I wonder what will now happen in the Challenge Cup? TWP were due to play Newcastle who may end up withdrawing from the cup if League 1 doesn't start. That would give us 7 teams in the quarter finals. Somebody might end up with byes all the way to the semi finals.

Reinstate the Giants?

On 17/07/2020 at 11:47, The Hallucinating Goose said:

It's good that you've expressed yours, and I imagine many other Toronto fans', feelings on Toronto's position within RL here so tell you what, let's start a decent discussion from this point. 

Okay, so, why has this become the default expectation for you and many fans? I already have a good idea from reading this thread throughout its lifetime but it would be a good place to start in the discussion to set these opinions out. 🙂

See the last few pages.....

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

They have survived with no TV funding since their inception and only face issues now due to Covid-19 and the prospect of no home games for a year. They seem to be better funded than most UK RL teams to do that. I'd say Arygle is more fed up with hitting his head against a wall and thinks what's the point.

As stated before I understand and have sympathy with all of that my issue is with them pulling out now not before fixtures were announced 

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

I question your assumption that "At any other time Rugby League would be crying out for a well backed and funded team". 

History tells us that wealth and success from outside the M62 bubble will be attacked come what may, the details just change depending on what the particular circumstances are. 

17 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Wasn’t that to cover the cost of travel and expenses?

as it happens i think it was short sighted of the clubs to not share the TV money however that doesn’t alter my point about them messing the RFL/SL about with regards to the restart.

No. It wasn't. Because that would have made some sense.

To secure entry into SL, Wolfpack also had to agree to pay travel and accommodation for all SL clubs to Toronto for the 2020 season. This was a new burden. The original agreement covered travel & accom only for League 1 and Championships. But again, the greedy club owners couldn't resist - pocketed the 200 grand each AND asked for travel & hotels.

At least the travel & accom is one expense Wolfpack haven't faced.

3 minutes ago, Loup said:

No. It wasn't. Because that would have made some sense.

To secure entry into SL, Wolfpack also had to agree to pay travel and accommodation for all SL clubs to Toronto for the 2020 season. This was a new burden. The original agreement covered travel & accom only for League 1 and Championships. But again, the greedy club owners couldn't resist - pocketed the 200 grand each AND asked for travel & hotels.

At least the travel & accom is one expense Wolfpack haven't faced.

Ok fair enough I didn’t understand the detail on that one, what was the reasoning for them not getting tv money was it so they could get their own TV deal?

genuine question as I don’t know the detail on this.

10 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I question your assumption that "At any other time Rugby League would be crying out for a well backed and funded team". 

History tells us that wealth and success from outside the M62 bubble will be attacked come what may, the details just change depending on what the particular circumstances are. 

Ok maybe just the people that want the game to grow and be all it can be then.

6 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

As stated before I understand and have sympathy with all of that my issue is with them pulling out now not before fixtures were announced 

Clearly the RFL/SL thought TWP were bluffing when saying they needed help.

I imagine it was something like

"We're in, but you have to help us"

"we'll see...... oh, looks like we can play games again here, all good?"

"we're in, but you have to help us"

"We're all good to go, we're settled with our government bailouts, you guys good?"

"we're in, but you have to help us"

"fixture list is drawn up, good to go?

"we're in, but you have to help us - we can't get the same visas as you"

"fixtures have been released, no problems right?"

"we're in, but you have to help us - even just a loan that's 11% of the TV money you kept...."

"Ready to kick off?"

"NO. You didn't help us"

Archived