The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

15 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Is your last sentence actually solely Toronto’s fault though?

No, it's a general comment, as others have alluded to already, the game doesn't seem to have any coherent plans for expansion, plonking a team of foreigners in an alien environment isn't expansion, Toronto wasn't so much an expansion as a franchise.

I am all for expansion, if it's done properly with a proper strategy, supported by the governing bodies, the clubs, the sponsors etc, that doesn't happen, it's a massive failing of the sport.

If we are serious, as a sport, about expansion, then do it properly, put roots down and have a plan, not just have a bloke chuck money at a team and make it up as they go along, as appeared to happen with London, Gateshead, Crusaders and now Toronto

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Ok fair enough I didn’t understand the detail on that one, what was the reasoning for them not getting tv money was it so they could get their own TV deal?

genuine question as I don’t know the detail on this.

No, it was so the other 11 clubs could each get £200k pa or whatever it is. If someone replaces Toronto next year the clubs will probably loose that bonus, which I imagine they are already budgeting on getting.

3 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

No, it was so the other 11 clubs could each get £200k pa or whatever it is. If someone replaces Toronto next year the clubs will probably loose that bonus, which I imagine they are already budgeting on getting.

It seems the money was intended to go towards marketing. Excuse me while I find my socks, I seem to have laughed them off.

What a mess. I hate to see any club fail, I know how close Salford have been on more than on occasion. The problem for me is the business plan TWP  have. They have enticed players away from other clubs, even when under contract. Told us they have plenty of money on many occasions. 

The big question is where now? They have to be punished in some way  I bet if Salford decided not to finish the season we would see some penalty if allowed back.

7 minutes ago, meast said:

No, it's a general comment, as others have alluded to already, the game doesn't seem to have any coherent plans for expansion, plonking a team of foreigners in an alien environment isn't expansion, Toronto wasn't so much an expansion as a franchise.

I am all for expansion, if it's done properly with a proper strategy, supported by the governing bodies, the clubs, the sponsors etc, that doesn't happen, it's a massive failing of the sport.

If we are serious, as a sport, about expansion, then do it properly, put roots down and have a plan, not just have bloke chuck money at a team and make it up as they go along, as appeared to happen with London, Gateshead, Crusaders and now Toronto

London? Really? How many clubs are there down here? How many pro players are produced from here? How many 10s of thousands of people attend games down here? If you think London is making it up as it goes along, you are massively ill informed. The north east is also doing fine. The game would have been insane to turn its back on a bona fide multi millionaire writing cheques to field league teams. 

Of course, though, you are all in favour of expansion... 

12 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Ok fair enough I didn’t understand the detail on that one, what was the reasoning for them not getting tv money was it so they could get their own TV deal?

genuine question as I don’t know the detail on this.

Toronto (As the Dragons) were funding the TV costs (This year SKY agreed to cover 50%) 

29 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yeah like they could have foreseen Coronavirus. Jesus wept.

They were struggling before Coronavirus, Coronavirus had nothing to do with their poor on field performances, or the fact that they didn't bother signing a squad of players up before the season started.

I have sympathy with all clubs and organisations due to this pandemic, but a lot of Toronto's problems are their own making, or are we to believe that they are simply victims?

2 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

What a mess. I hate to see any club fail, I know how close Salford have been on more than on occasion. The problem for me is the business plan TWP  have. They have enticed players away from other clubs, even when under contract. Told us they have plenty of money on many occasions. 

The big question is where now? They have to be punished in some way  I bet if Salford decided not to finish the season we would see some penalty if allowed back.

David Argyle has plenty of cash but like all very wealthy people, his cheque book can be withdrawn at any moment.

IMO, this entire affair seems to be Argyle sending a message to SL and the RFL with his wallet.

There are lots of things in the background that we do not know and are not privy to.  

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Major implications for lost fixtures, gates and TV revenue this season and beyond.

Let’s hope the damage to the rest of Super League by the Toronto s**tshow can be mitigated.

On the plus side, this gives every reason to Super League to sort out the structure and reintroduce licensing, with clubs they actually want.

The people in charge of the game in this country couldn't run a bath

I would assume that they are planning to play next season unless Argyle is pulling out. This season is a bit of a disaster and Toronto are in a tough position not being able to have home games.

Argyle could cover the costs but obviously doesn't want to for whatever reason and there is clearly going to be no relegation. The key question is why is Argyle not funding it. If he's had enough then it spells the end, if he just sees no point in this season then it rolls over to the RFL to decide whether they should go down.

I assume they spoke to the RFL and have discussed the feasibility of this but who knows.

If Fev have offered to take their place then why not, given it looks like no Championship this year and they were the beaten finalists last year.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

4 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

How do I post a tweet? I'm sure in the past I've just pasted the link and it appears but doesn't seem to be doing that. 

I think you have to wait a few seconds for it to embed and show as a tweet rather than a link

6 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

London? Really? How many clubs are there down here? How many pro players are produced from here? How many 10s of thousands of people attend games down here? If you think London is making it up as it goes along, you are massively ill informed. The north east is also doing fine. The game would have been insane to turn its back on a bona fide multi millionaire writing cheques to field league teams. 

Of course, though, you are all in favour of expansion... 

I was using London as an example of expansion , I am presuming there was no RL played in London before Fulham's first game?

London have had relative success and are a good club and have some very loyal and dedicated fans, as well as decent development strategies that's paid off in the last 10 years or so, but they've never hit the heights the game would hoped they would, it looked likely in the mid 90's but sadly faded away.

I'm not having a dig at those clubs, far from it, more the organisation and the running of the sport where expansion is concerned.

Arguably its Fev, as last years beaten finalists, or London, as the team relegated at the end of last season, that should be given the chance to step up. The third option is the Wolfpack sit out the season and SL carries on with 11 teams till next year and they rejoin then. 

One thing is for sure, all 3 of those options would send the Leigh fans apoplectic 😂

Just now, The Future is League said:

I repeat the people running the game in this country couldn't run a bath.

Less TV money now as well with less fixtures

Well, this can only make it more difficult for misconceived transatlantic ventures to work. Goodbye ‘New York RLFC’.

Archived