The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

39 minutes ago, dkw said:

But the reason they are struggling to pay other players is entirely due to the virus, they will have budgeted his wages in with all the incomings and outgoings and it would have balanced. Except now they have 0 incomings, none at all, not even central funding from the RFL. Weighting all of this against one signing is wrong, signing SBW has nothing to do with the predicament they are in.

But his salary certainly eats away very quickly at the 'Rainy day Fund' dk.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

There are lessons to be learnt. But why have Catalans survived and been a success whereas Toronto are on the brink?

Catalans get a share of the sky tv money, Toronto do not.
Catalans entered our league system in Super League, Toronto entered in League One. Catalans do not pay away teams travel costs, Toronto do pay away teams travel costs. Catalans were exempt from relegation for 3 years, Toronto were not given any exemption.

Toronto can be saved if we recognise where we’ve gone wrong and correct it immediately. 

the Dragons have a history, a viable economic model with many sponsors and the French public authorities with them, a real audience, French players, a rugby school, an identity etc etc. To believe that we can build a club with millions of dollars is a huge mistake. I hope that the leaders of the RFL will come back to reality and give Toulouse a chance, which is definitely the best candidate to develop the sport both in France and in England with a real derby and the possibility of having a deal with French TV.

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

9 hours ago, The British Lion said:

This is horrendous news. Rugby League (The RFL / Super League) CONTINUOUSLY fail in new ventures with big futures. 

Crusaders

Gateshead - but pleased Newcastle are doing a great job in the aftermath.

Even London Crusaders/Broncos

Paris St Germain

and now ... Toronto, with so so much promise.

Yes, it's very strange times. But the 'value' to Toronto WP from our game is non existent. How does this speak to future investors??

Unbelievable. Im almost ready to give up on RL. The vision of the game is dire.

I love Warrington. But, do I want to watch Wire V M62 corridor club 3-5 times a year, with no meaningful internationals. No.

The games vision is killing my appetite for RL.

I think that I'm nearly through with game and i say that that as someone who's been involved at different levels for over 50 years.

This is just another debacle following on from the RFL wanting certain clubs to pay a bond to enter the challenge cup and the disbanding of the reserves competition.

I really see no future for the game in this country and it saddens me to say that, but I'm not wrong.

It the game is to survive will need competent people at the RFL and it's clear we don't

People can't have this both ways. We can't dismiss £5m in wages (smashing everyone else out of the park), but claim not getting the central funding is the issue and SL is backwards.

Agreements were made with no central funding and budgets were set. 

The thing that had changed here is coronavirus. Without coronavirus this wouldn't have happened. Those two discussion points should be left out of this. 

2 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Toronto said they’d take no central funding and pay other clubs travel costs until they got into Super League. Once they reached Super League they were supposed to compete on a level playing field on even terms. Robert Elstone refused to give Toronto their share and distributed it to the other Super League clubs. Elstone seems to be silent now. 

Nice story but I don’t necessarily believe it. If the deal was no central funding in return for their own TV arrangements, why would they have wanted that to stop in Super League, when that’s the value.

Thursday 16 July.............Toronto give firm assurances that they WILL take place in the revised Super League competition.

Monday 20 July ..............Toronto announce they will not be taking part in the revised Super League competition.

Toronto's repeated assurances have proved worthless and have resulted in enormous problems and costs for other Super League teams. Had they come clean 3 months ago there might have been some understanding now there is no option but to demote them at least one division.

David Argyle's comments suggests he knows this and at that point I fully expect he will announce the formal end of Toronto Wolfpack.

10 hours ago, ChoboMog said:

I would love to voice my opinions, to the powers that be in the Rugby Football League (RFL) and the Super League (SL), about the current situation the Toronto Wolfpack finds themself in; and be vocal in support of the team in such an unprecedented time.  Unfortunately, neither official website seem to list contacts for the leagues themselves.  Only generic "e-inquiries", "ticketing" etc seem to be available.

Is anyone aware of, and able to provide, publicly available contact e-mail address information for the Rugby Football League and/or Super League, in order for fans to speak directly with the organizations?  This can be posted here, or in a Private Message if that's preferred.

I am not looking to raise a stink.  Instead, I would like to reach out, directly, as an example of the type of fan the RFL/SL is likely to lose should they not support the team, through such a challenge, and especially so should punitive action be brought against the team

What chance is there of getting any new sponsors on board with this debacle?

What chance of retaining any sponsors we already have?

We have become the laughing stock of British sport

Just now, The Future is League said:

We have become the laughing stock of British sport

We really, really haven't, most people couldn't give a monkeys whether TWP finish the Super League Season or not bevermind laughing at us.

And those that have taken notice will probably think, Canadian Team, Worldwide Pandemic, they can't finish the season, seems fair enough.

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

We really, really haven't, most people couldn't give a monkeys whether TWP finish the Super League Season or not bevermind laughing at us.

And those that have taken notice will probably think, Canadian Team, Worldwide Pandemic, they can't finish the season, seems fair enough.

Absolutely spot on. 

These are not normal times. The communication at the end (which is where TWP should get punished) was an issue, but plenty has been cancelled this year. 

38 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The bit above is from Mr Argyle's press statement,

Have I not been saying for long time that Toronto Wolfpack are a work in progress, a prototype that is not proven and before going "into production" and admitting other clubs, learn the positives and negatives from Toronto's experiences in the RFL, the decide if NA teams are a fit into our structure.

It is simple business practice, but hey the band was playing, the flags were waving, the drum was bashed and the majorettes were dancing. 

Yep, I am big enough to say that your process would have been the better option if all parties would have worked together at the outset but that was never addressed.  IMHO the overall process has been a battle for TWP and one that proved insurmountable with the current pandemic.

However what I find disconcerting is that I cannot find a joint announcement from both TWP and SL that states ‘whilst Toronto are unable to complete their fixtures this season the SL will do their utmost to support the club to ensure they are in a position to compete next season’.

11 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I think that I'm nearly through with game and i say that that as someone who's been involved at different levels for over 50 years.

Bring back licencing and I'm done.

My appetite for the game waned considerably during the last period. I refused to watch any SL game or support any aspect of SL or international rugby. It returns and I'm through.

You or I jacking it in, for whatever reason, won't change the sports future.

9 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Thursday 16 July.............Toronto give firm assurances that they WILL take place in the revised Super League competition.

Monday 20 July ..............Toronto announce they will not be taking part in the revised Super League competition.

Toronto's repeated assurances have proved worthless and have resulted in enormous problems and costs for other Super League teams. Had they come clean 3 months ago there might have been some understanding now there is no option but to demote them at least one division.

David Argyle's comments suggests he knows this and at that point I fully expect he will announce the formal end of Toronto Wolfpack.

This.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Whilst I think the SBW signing is a poor one, the reason we can't see any tangible benefits (or not) is because of coronavirus. 

We could only judge at the end of the year when income, crowds, sponsorship, viewing figs etc. come in. 

It's a slightly unfair question in the current climate. 

Exactly, the SBW signing was made as a marketing and sponsorship magnet back in Canada. You take that away because of Covid and it is a massive hit for the club.

13 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

If you look back in this very thread there's an excellent hypothetical conversation about how that comes about. 

20 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I think that I'm nearly through with game and i say that that as someone who's been involved at different levels for over 50 years

Me too but I should imagine for completely different reasons, anyway always the community game to fall back on.

7 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

My appetite for the game waned considerably during the last period. I refused to watch any SL game or support any aspect of SL or international rugby. It returns and I'm through.

Licensing returns and there will be far more than you and I jacking, I will watch it unfold from afar.

24 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

What about if your team is at the top table? You’ll do nothing and you’ll still attend. 

12 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Its all going to work out in the end....I don't mind going back into Championship or League 1....there will still be a big draw in Toronto and we can still watch RL.  We will survive and then thrive...it all takes time.

Hopefully, that's the case.

As i keep saying, if we are going to do expansion, then do it properly, let a club build from the foundations up, let them properly grow rather than just buying up loads of players to win games easily and get to the top quickly.

Let's hope Toronto can start again and grow properly.

Here's a theory. 

Toronto knew relegation and promotion was off yesterday morning. 

Toronto knew the costs of playing with no home games whatsoever would be hugely costly. $3million Canadian is the figure.

Toronto also knew it needed a clearout of some of its squad - some players have been told to look elsewhere whereas some have been told they're required in 2021 but are free to find short term deals till the end of the season.

Toronto have called Super League's bluff and taken their chances. Super league will either have 11 teams only or 11 teams plus Toronto next year. It would cost TWP significant sums either way. Perhaps they're looking at Wigan Athletic and seeing how normal rules aren't being applied automatically and "extraordinary circumstances" are. 

30 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Can see this being the end for the mighty wolf pack 😂! To say they won't be finishing this season but will be ok for next is ridiculous, SL won't be happy with them I'm sure.

I don't agree with what the Wolfpack have done, but haven't half the Championship clubs said we won't be able to finish this season but will be okay for next season? Also, the SL has been trying to prevent a players' strike over wage cuts.  The RFL has had to borrow £16m. This is not normal times. 

54 minutes ago, fcl said:

the Dragons have a history, a viable economic model with many sponsors and the French public authorities with them, a real audience, French players, a rugby school, an identity etc etc. To believe that we can build a club with millions of dollars is a huge mistake. I hope that the leaders of the RFL will come back to reality and give Toulouse a chance, which is definitely the best candidate to develop the sport both in France and in England with a real derby and the possibility of having a deal with French TV.

A real audience? We’re the 8000 Lamport regulars cardboard cut out? 

Archived