The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

Just now, Robin Evans said:

We've done this argument over and over ten years ago.

If licencing returns.... I'm done. Thats it. I'm through with the game.... regardless of where my team sit.

The licencing argument has been done to death.... im not in any mood for further protraction

You won’t be off. You’ll moan mercifully about it and still attend your club, if your a season ticket holder, as that’s what you’ve always done. 

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Toronto Wolfpack, a club that has cost the game £0,

That says it all.

What more can you ask from an expansionist venture?

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What are you hoping to be said? They released a joint statement.

Just one statement, that leaves as many questions as it answers. If this was football, cricket or Union they’d be all over it. 

Just now, Scubby said:

How the NRL supported the Warriors will probably be kept in house and will have cost millions. SL needed its competition back asap. You get the competition back and deal with the fall out at the end of the season. People will not remember TWP dropping out in August/Sept, they will just see the gaps in the fixture list and Challenge Cup QFs with a bye in it. 

Yes, it will have cost millions. Which is probably a bit of a drop in the ocean to an organisation that turns over hundreds of millions a year, in comparison to Super League, who work more modestly and would struggle to stump up over a £1m (the reported figure converted into GBP) to help a club. 

26 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’m no one-eyed fan, Harold. I’m not even a London fan.

Licensing will come back now, I think it’s inevitable. 

Yes me too, it's been a good life following a pro club, but it will be the community game from when that annoncement is made.

Sorry for the assumption, I was working on you being a suvvenor.

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

You won’t be off. You’ll moan mercifully about it and still attend your club, if your a season ticket holder, as that’s what you’ve always done. 

you don't know me well do you.

Those that do know how i will react. Its not really relevant whether you accept what I say or not. Licencing returns.... im done. It sounds petulant. It is. 

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Yes me too, it's been a good life following a pro club, but it will be the community game from when that annoncement is made.

Sorry for the assumption, I was working on you being a suvvenor.

To play devils advocate, if 100 match going, season ticket holding people do the same as you, “your” club, or former club, your club loses a significant amount of money and any chance of being promoted/plucked from obscurity decreases. Is that the right thing to do?

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

you don't know me well do you.

Those that do know how i will react. Its not really relevant whether you accept what I say or not. Licencing returns.... im done. It sounds petulant. It is. 

What if the club you support were to be in the Super League? 

Yes, it will have cost millions. Which is probably a bit of a drop in the ocean to an organisation that turns over hundreds of millions a year, in comparison to Super League, who work more modestly and would struggle to stump up over a £1m (the reported figure converted into GBP) to help a club. 

I understand TWP asked for a £200k loan. What is the price of getting the competition on and keeping its integrity? And the owner is a billionaire line just doesn't work in real life. My business is VC funded, I still have to ask for loans for cash flow sometimes. If I went to the money men/women they would tell me to nob off and sort if myself. 

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

I understand TWP asked for a £200k loan. What is the price of getting the competition on and keeping its integrity? And the owner is a billionaire line just doesn't work in real life. My business is VC funded, I still have to ask for loans for cash flow sometimes. If I went to the money men/women they would tell me to nob off and sort if myself. 

Given Toronto’s history of paying staff, people they owe, I can see why Super League were reluctant to. 

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

If I don't go to club football, I will be on par with you then, I suppose Scubby.

Yep such a shame I left the area where I had the ability to walk to 3 professional club grounds. I sold myself out as a RL fan right there and then 😕 Apologies to all the guys that stuck it out. 

Given Toronto’s history of paying staff, people they owe, I can see why Super League were reluctant to. 

I would have been furious too. But the idea of starting SL with a triple header on Sky with 5 teams would have been the deal breaker. You do what you need to do, and make sure you come down hard after the dust has settled. TWP are the culprits here, but leaders get stuff over the line.

4 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Toronto Wolfpack, a club that has cost the game £0,

That says it all.

What more can you ask from an expansionist venture?

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

What if the club you support were to be in the Super League? 

Hela.... this is regurgitation of a ten year argument. I wont support any form of licencing.... thats it. No "what ifs"....

I.made my point many times many years ago. I felt a sense of liberation and satisfaction when p&r was reintroduced. 

Now.... you can accept the first sentence or not. I don't really care either way

Just now, Scubby said:

I would have been furious too. But the idea of starting SL with a triple header on Sky with 5 teams would have been the deal breaker. You do what you need to do, and make sure you come down hard after the dust has settled. TWP are the culprits here, but leaders get stuff over the line.

You can only do that if you have the money and can get the money back at a later date. Bankrolling Toronto could quite easily have seen off Super League as a competition if some of these figures that are being banded about are correct. 

3 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

If any club deserve to be back in SL, it's gotta be Oldham... there fan's are the most passionate. 

I remember in 97 in a local pub 3 Man U fan's walk into the pub and said to this bloke who was wearing a Oldam RL jersey, he looks like Magrate Thatcher and rugby league sucks.

He got out of his chair knocked all 3 of them out... and even took one of the Man U supports jersey off while he was out cold, as a trophy. To this day the jersey is framed and hanged up at the pub (with a small amount of blood on it) 

The funny thing is the bloke still drinks there and oddly enough he sort of does look like the former Prime Minister 

Even the hair ?   I won`t even ask what he was wearing.

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

Hela.... this is regurgitation of a ten year argument. I wont support any form of licencing.... thats it. No "what ifs"....

I.made my point many times many years ago. I felt a sense of liberation and satisfaction when p&r was reintroduced. 

Now.... you can accept the first sentence or not. I don't really care either way

You accepted it ten years ago because you’re here now moaning about it. You’ll accept it again. 

15 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

We've done this argument over and over ten years ago.

If licencing returns.... I'm done. Thats it. I'm through with the game.... regardless of where my team sit.

The licencing argument has been done to death.... im not in any mood for further protraction

I feel many feel this way, especially at our club. 

Such a shame.

I'm just grateful for meeting so many wonderful people and having some incredible memories.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

You can only do that if you have the money and can get the money back at a later date. Bankrolling Toronto could quite easily have seen off Super League as a competition if some of these figures that are being banded about are correct. 

If Sky say #### it now, it won't matter. You swallow the pill and get the competition on. They decided against it and now a club will get a bye to the CC semis and there is a permanent dent in the SL brand and fixture list for 2020. They will have to suck it up.

5 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Yeah, there was no way SL clubs were going to lend Toronto significant sums of money given their track record.

That £200k could have become £400k, £600k, £800k etc. SL chairmen may be selfish but they are not fools. 

41 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

There have been some good parts to the Toronto experiment and some poorly managed one's.

But here are a few things that I would like to point out.

* While we chat away on here about what is best for our sport and how great it is, someone else was spending millions of pounds of his own money bringing professional Rugby League (and biggest rugby name on the planet) to a new continent.

Nobody on here asked him to spend his own money and while it's great to have new fans and one of the bigest names in our sport playing over here, thats not a shield to had behind when people criticise your club.

46 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

* Thousands of Canadians were supporting their team in the lower divisions and they were just about to experience the top level of the sport in Northern hemisphere.

Thats the bare minimum of every fan base.

49 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

* All of this has been disrupted by a global pandemic which has massively impacted the global economy and some sectors (leisure and travel being among them) in an unprecedented fashion.

Yes agreed but didn't you say you have a guy putting millions into your club?.

50 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

For anyone saying how the Wolfpack should be punished, I will be delighted to hear you explain how you have managed your multi million pound international enterprise through this period.

So because we don't run a million pound business we can't comment on how the RFL will rightly punish you, your arm must get tired from holding up that shield all day. Btw what million pound business do you run?, If you don't why are you speaking about it.

55 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Lives are being lost.  Livelihoods are being lost.  Let's grab a little perspective here.

Agreed but we can still talk about the sport we love and the club's in it, even about the club's that were in it.

1 minute ago, Chris Taylor said:

I feel many feel this way, especially at our club. 

Such a shame.

I'm just grateful for meeting so many wonderful people and having some incredible memories.

See.... you know me chris and you know exactly what I'll do. It'll be my hometown rugby union team and community RL from the point of licencing reintroduction. 

Hela Wigman's defence is to keep repeating the same mantra. 

I was vocal in my campaign last time. I wont be again.

Our game has a history of tearing itself apart. This thread on toronto is a perfect illustration. I cant see that changing anytime soon vhris

Archived