The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

8 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

To play devils advocate, if 100 match going, season ticket holding people do the same as you, “your” club, or former club, your club loses a significant amount of money and any chance of being promoted/plucked from obscurity decreases. Is that the right thing to do?

I was specifically talking about P&R being abolished going forward Hela, at Leigh there will be a lot of the same opinion,  as I believe Mr Beaumont will vacate also,  he has ambition that is how he has made his fortune, take away the opportunity from him to realise his ambition and there is no point to it. We have been there before in a shut out and I aint going back.

I will still attend if P&R is still part of the format,  I have never said any different, this season we have to accept the decision that has been made, but I am not going to watch the Lockdown Trophy. 

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I was specifically talking about P&R being abolished going forward Hela, at Leigh there will be a lot of the same opinion,  as I believe Mr Beaumont will vacate also,  he has ambition that is how he has made his fortune, take away the opportunity from him to realise his ambition and there is no point to it. We have been there before in a shut out and I aint going back.

I will still attend if P&R is still part of the format,  I have never said any different, this season we have to accept the decision that has been made, but I am not going to watch the Lockdown Trophy. 

Pretty much all of this Harry owd cocker.....

Yup.... all of it.

30 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I watched how the NRL dealt with the virus and the Warriors and then this. The integrity of the NRL competition was put above everything, they threw millions to accommodate the Warriors because they couldn't play in their home country. The rest of the clubs were grateful that the Warriors sacrificed things to give the NRL a season.

What did we do to support the 2 overseas teams in Catalans and TWP? I understand Catalans wanted to play at home to crowds (because they could) and were met with resistance. TWP wanted support in a once in a lifetime crises and SL let them walk away. We get the August competition we deserve.

The NRL was 100% about protecting its brand. SL is self-preservation.

What do you want. Not just an empty 'support' message, like actually want?

Catalans will play at home, but as we have seen, we are playing a series of Magic Weekend's to start which sorts out costs, control of risk, and broadcasting rights. It's a non-issue that was stirred up in the French media.

TWP wanted some money that nobody has. And borrowing money because you can't pay your bills is a tough ask in any circumstance. 

The NRL spent millions to get the game back on the road because they had millions. And their country is in a different position, to the point that they already have some fans back in the grounds. 

18 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I understand TWP asked for a £200k loan. What is the price of getting the competition on and keeping its integrity? And the owner is a billionaire line just doesn't work in real life. My business is VC funded, I still have to ask for loans for cash flow sometimes. If I went to the money men/women they would tell me to nob off and sort if myself. 

So a billionaire has a cashflow issue and asks for a loan from a company with zero funds in the bank? What exactly do you think could have been done differently?

Just now, Dave T said:

What do you want. Not just an empty 'support' message, like actually want?

Catalans will play at home, but as we have seen, we are playing a series of Magic Weekend's to start which sorts out costs, control of risk, and broadcasting rights. It's a non-issue that was stirred up in the French media.

TWP wanted some money that nobody has. And borrowing money because you can't pay your bills is a tough ask in any circumstance. 

The NRL spent millions to get the game back on the road because they had millions. And their country is in a different position, to the point that they already have some fans back in the grounds. 

Because they got it back on and kept its integrity they were able to agree a 7-year TV deal in the middle of Covid. They bullied state governors, they pushed before any other sport. We couldn't get back until August because we were flat broke and wanted to take advantage of furlough. for the low paid.

SL cannot see past next week. When they sit down again with Sky they will have finished a distorted competition where a club went AWOL. The brand is only worth what people see. SL let everyone see all the #### We get what we deserve.

16 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Agreed, P&R should have always been played for, it is sport Hela, the British way of sport, not half a season of 'it doesn't matter any more' for half the competing teams.

That other lot (RU) seemed to manage to survive successfully for a very long time with such a "British way of sport" without any form of P&R, league structures etc. It was only when taxable money entered their sport that the started to catch up with RL.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Will the English journalists so quick to make promotional reports about this club  finally make a real investigation into the Toronto Wolfpacks, their owners and their links with the leaders of the RFL who accepted them in the Super League?

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And if Beaumont’s ambition is met with a place at the big table?

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Because they got it back on and kept its integrity they were able to agree a 7-year TV deal in the middle of Covid. They bullied state governors, they pushed before any other sport. We couldn't get back until August because we were flat broke and wanted to take advantage of furlough. for the low paid.

SL cannot see past next week. When they sit down again with Sky they will have finished a distorted competition where a club went AWOL. The brand is only worth what people see. SL let everyone see all the #### We get what we deserve.

Big talk doesn't pay bills. 

Ignore the NRL, and look at comparable sports and events in this country.

SLE had done a good job of getting the comp back all ready next week, TWP decide they are skint and pull out, and what a surprise, the anger is aimed at the RFL/SLE and Wakefield!

Listen, happy to leave it there, as we are just going round and round stuff we have discussed before.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

So a billionaire has a cashflow issue and asks for a loan from a company with zero funds in the bank? What exactly do you think could have been done differently?

I suppose I have been used to all this ###### from RL full stop. Then the NRL appoint V'landys and it is like watching another world. We won't know half the strings he pulled but he did, he got the sport back on first and got a TV-deal in the middle of a pandemic. It just shows how useless Greenberg was.

Where are RL leader's here? Putting out a joint statement after the cause. TWP have left the SL with 11 clubs for 2020 - that is all the game will ever remember. The NRL could have lost the Warriors from the comp - it didn't. We don't know how but it didn't.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Big talk doesn't pay bills. 

Ignore the NRL, and look at comparable sports and events in this country.

SLE had done a good job of getting the comp back all ready next week, TWP decide they are skint and pull out, and what a surprise, the anger is aimed at the RFL/SLE and Wakefield!

Listen, happy to leave it there, as we are just going round and round stuff we have discussed before.

But Dave doing some work is the only alternative 😞 😕 

5 minutes ago, fcl said:

Will the English journalists so quick to make promotional reports about this club  finally make a real investigation into the Toronto Wolfpacks, their owners and their links with the leaders of the RFL who accepted them in the Super League?

Just reading some of your posts on this thread, it almost comes across that you view Toronto as an attack on French RL in some form.

Journalists have been asking questions about TW from the beginning, I am unsure if you've missed all the articles over the last 4 years? You could  probably start at the beginning of this thread.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

I suppose I have been used to all this ###### from RL full stop. Then the NRL appoint V'landys and it is like watching another world. We won't know half the strings he pulled but he did, he got the sport back on first and got a TV-deal in the middle of a pandemic. It just shows how useless Greenberg was.

Where are RL leader's here? Putting out a joint statement after the cause. TWP have left the SL with 11 clubs for 2020 - that is all the game will ever remember. The NRL could have lost the Warriors from the comp - it didn't. We don't know how but it didn't.

Can I just point out something here though?

When SLE signed a new record 7 year deal with Sky a few years ago, they were lambasted. The NRL have just signed a reduced 7 year deal and it is being celebrated.

Their TV deal was a pay cut just like ours is for next year.

11 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

See.... you know me chris and you know exactly what I'll do. It'll be my hometown rugby union team and community RL from the point of licencing reintroduction. 

Hela Wigman's defence is to keep repeating the same mantra. 

I was vocal in my campaign last time. I wont be again.

Our game has a history of tearing itself apart. This thread on toronto is a perfect illustration. I cant see that changing anytime soon vhris

Quite Robin. How many people do we know in the last few years who have said no more? We aren't talking one or two gamers, we are talking loyal supporters, volunteers - who'd even go to reserves, club functions and such like. 

I was this - I've barely been to a game in the last few years. My life has changed, I renovated a property, got married and now run a business (alongside full time employment).

Occasionally going to games, that involved my wifes family (who recently played at Batley & Sheffield). 

I'll always have the memories of being in the changing rooms after we won the grand final in 2011 - then coming back into the clubhouse after to celebrate. I was on a high for a good week after. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Just now, Dave T said:

Why do you think I am still chatting to you?!?!?! :kolobok_biggrin:

You mean we actually finished this head-to-head hours ago? 😄 I'm actually on a zoom meeting right now! 

TWP - shafting SL and bringing down productivity across the UK

28 minutes ago, The Lad said:

Yes agreed but didn't you say you have a guy putting millions into your club?

Not my club.

But Rugby League is the sport that I fell in love with in my home town of Wigan 35 years ago and (whatever the circumstances) I am gutted that thousands of Canadians will not get the chance to do the same thing this year in Toronto.

I will let others debate who's fault all of this is.  I will just lament the lost opportunity.  And hope it is not lost forever.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

There is no guarantee of course, but I'd wager the reason the EFL have held off issuing judgement is because they don't want more clubs taking that option - suggesting Wigan likely could win.

I agree, we may see the "autumn comp" now given greater significance. 

Again I don't want to take this off topic but judgement on Latics' penalty hasn't been deferred. Latics' 12 point deduction will be applied only after all games are completed. The same applies to penalties hanging over Derby and Sheff Wed. The EFL have clarified this, it is covered in an article in the football section of the BBC Sport website entitled 'The Relegation Battle Being Fought by Lawyers'. Latics must win their last game and hope that either Luton or Charlton get no more than a point from theirs to stay up after the penalty is applied. I expect that the avoidance of confusion is behind not applying them yet.

7 minutes ago, Click said:

Just reading some of your posts on this thread, it almost comes across that you view Toronto as an attack on French RL in some form.

Journalists have been asking questions about TW from the beginning, I am unsure if you've missed all the articles over the last 4 years? You could  probably start at the beginning of this thread.

I mainly bring a different point of view. Toronto was in direct competition with Toulouse but also other clubs like London Featherstone, Leigh which represented more guarantee. personally I preferred to see a Super League with two French clubs, a club from Cumbria etc rather than American clubs whose projects are not realistic. I maintain that other than a few bits of information here and there, there was no serious journalistic investigation into Toronto.

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

49 minutes ago, fcl said:

I mainly bring a different point of view. Toronto was in direct competition with Toulouse but also other clubs like London Featherstone, Leigh which represented more guarantee. personally I preferred to see a Super League with two French clubs, a club from Cumbria etc rather than American clubs whose projects are not realistic. I maintain that other than a few bits of information here and there, there was no serious journalistic investigation into Toronto.

I’d like to see a team from Cumbria in SL too, who’s going to fund it though - you?

50 minutes ago, fcl said:

American?

4 minutes ago, Loup said:

American?

He can't be taken seriously...this is the same guy who refuses to admit that more than 5 000 fans attended a game in Toronto.  I was at those games (as were many others) and it is clear balderdash.

2 hours ago, fcl said:

I maintain that the crowds were exaggerated to serve as an argument and legitimize the project.
Oriented shots, choice of camera layout, well-orchestrated communication. Everything was done to give the impression that the club was breaking records ...
It was very good attendance (probably around 5000) with free entries, shows around with the famous beer garden but we are far from the 8000 spectators on average.

"Maintain" away. Were you ever at Lamport?

There is only one camera base at Lamport. It faces the less popular stand. If anything, camera footage underestimates crowd size. And heaven forbid a club should practice well-orchestrated communication! How dare they!

Even the most ardent crowd-size-deniers have been in hibernation for months. Please don't wake them up.

Archived