The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dboy said:

You are going to stop watching it because teams are UK-based, or because I don't like it

You sound shallow.

owww...!!!

Just now, RobertAM said:

keep those stupid questions coming

No it doesn't work like that , my question was perfectly sensible , it was your answer that was stupid , and you know it , everybody knows it 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

No it doesn't work like that , my question was perfectly sensible , it was your answer that was stupid , and you know it , everybody knows it 

Actually, the question was nonsense, as was the answer.

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Hi everybody!!

27 minutes ago, dboy said:

Only if you consider tracks in individual countries as "home".

F1 teams are generally based in the UK.

Regardless, I refuse to accept F1 as a sport. It's a sham.

Who’s in the fastest cart this year 😂 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

27 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I mean David Arygle’s equity in Toronto Wolfpack. He’s been trying to sell down his shareholding.

Yeah, I get that, just can't see that his stake in the club is worth anything since they get no central funding and own no assets, not even an RFL membership. I can see he might say it is a bigger "opportunity" in SL so the club is worth more, but that's a very big gamble for anyone new to take on at a price.

14 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

Thursday 16 July.............Toronto give firm assurances that they WILL take place in the revised Super League competition.

Monday 20 July ..............Toronto announce they will not be taking part in the revised Super League competition.

Toronto's repeated assurances have proved worthless and have resulted in enormous problems and costs for other Super League teams. Had they come clean 3 months ago there might have been some understanding now there is no option but to demote them at least one division.

David Argyle's comments suggests he knows this and at that point I fully expect he will announce the formal end of Toronto Wolfpack.

What are the enormous costs for other SL clubs?

13 hours ago, Dave T said:

I've given my take on this plenty of times. We get around 30m for example from Sky. As a game we decide to spend that on UK (and French), RL. 

By routing 2m per year to Canada you are moving money out of the British game. That isn't necessarily an issue, but when a) there is no strategic development in Canada, and b) they clearly don't trust Argyle then it makes you consider where to spend money. 

SL have never embarked on Canadian expansion, and Elstone doesn't believe there is a pot of gold waiting there, SLE have said basically they won't route money from the British game to Canada. That may be short sighted, but there is an argument that the UK game can't afford to spend 2m a year on Canada. Personally, getting someone else to pay it is very good business sense. 

Let's talk hypothetical.

If TW got their own TV deal worth (lets say) £5 M per year.Do you think SL would be happy for them to keep it all?

Brian Noble just now on twitter:  "Toronto is getting a raw deal and the current situation needs to be amended.   It would be in the best interests of SL to do this."

5 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

I must have missed it when she posted her gratitude towards TWP when they enabled her family to return from Australia.

I must have missed that too....imagine the words she uses when talking lovingly to her children...a real class act that.

I always under the impression that is was SL clubs that pushed for TWP to find their own TV deal, and for them to split the English one, so they could have more money and not have to do any work getting a Canadian broadcaster.

NOT, that TWP wanted to go it alone, and keep any rights money for themselves. 

Could be wrong, but I've been arguing that everything should be divided equally since it came up, so I've thought this whole time that that aspect was a requirement of Super League, not the other way around.

Just now, TheReaper said:

I always under the impression that is was SL clubs that pushed for TWP to find their own TV deal, and for them to split the English one, so they could have more money and not have to do any work getting a Canadian broadcaster.

NOT, that TWP wanted to go it alone, and keep any rights money for themselves. 

Could be wrong, but I've been arguing that everything should be divided equally since it came up, so I've thought this whole time that that aspect was a requirement of Super League, not the other way around.

Its being addressed in a meeting with SL/Wolfpack this Thursday....the ball is in their court now....we will know soon enough.

4 hours ago, RobertAM said:

keep those stupid questions coming

Don't bother trying to engage him in any sort of reasonable discussion. It's like wrestling a pig.

I am being straight up here and putting personal feelings aside. The only reason the NZ Warriors are in the NRL is it makes the NRL easy money. If the NZ Warriors wanted to receive the $12 million NRL club grant and keep the whole $20 million +  generated from NZ market. If the NZ market couldn't deliver a large profit the Warriors would have never been accepted into the NRL or be out of the NRL comp faster than a rat up a drain pipe. 25 years ago NZ Warriors initial agreement was to pay for visiting sides travel and accommodation for so many years. The Catalans have had a club grant from super league yet dont provide profit to the game from TV rights, they do provide a bigger market to potential Super League sponsors. Toronto have been accepted into Super League under the condition they dont get a club grant and they pay for visiting sides travel and accommodation as currently bring no revenue to Super League. Super League is funded by a UK TV deal with Sky sports, UK people buy subscriptions and Sky also makes a bit by selling TV rights to other markets like Australia an NZ. Canada currently has no TV deal just the potential that one could be found... look at how well TV rights are going in France? Also preventing a TV rights deal in France or Canada is relegation as team from there country could potentially be relegated every year devaluing any rights deals in those markets. I am a big fan of expansion but the whole thing with the Wolfpack hasn't been well thought out by anyone Super League and Wolfpack included. 

3 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

I am being straight up here and putting personal feelings aside. The only reason the NZ Warriors are in the NRL is it makes the NRL easy money. If the NZ Warriors wanted to receive the $12 million NRL club grant and keep the whole $20 million + in revenue generated from NZ market or if the NZ market couldn't deliver a large profit the Warriors would have never been accepted into the NRL or be out of the NRL comp faster than a rat up a drain pipe. 25 years ago NZ Warriors initial agreement was to pay visiting sides travel and accommodation for so  many years. The Catalans have had a club grant from super league yet have dont provide any profit to the game from TV rights, they do provide a bigger market to potential Super League sponsors. Toronto have been accepted into Super League under the condition they dont get a club grant and they pay for visiting sides travel and accommodation as currently bring no revenue to Super League. Super League is funded by TV deal to Sky sports buy UK people who buy subscriptions and Sky also makes a bit by selling TV right s to other markets like Australia an NZ. Canada currently has no TV deal just the potential that one could be found... look at how well that is going in France? Also preventing a TV rights deal in France or Canada is relegation as the one team from each country could potentially be relegated every year devaluing any rights deals in those markets. I am a big fan of expansion but the whole thing with the Wolfpack hasn't been well thought out by anyone Super League and Wolfpack included. 

Good points but the Wolfpack had it figured out...Elstone and a few of the SL owners were too thick to get it...they are learning now though....even concrete can bend if enough force is applied in the proper manner. 

You are on to it though you tricky Kiwi!

9 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

I am being straight up here and putting personal feelings aside. The only reason the NZ Warriors are in the NRL is it makes the NRL easy money. If the NZ Warriors wanted to receive the $12 million NRL club grant and keep the whole $20 million + in revenue generated from NZ market or if the NZ market couldn't deliver a large profit the Warriors would have never been accepted into the NRL or be out of the NRL comp faster than a rat up a drain pipe. 25 years ago NZ Warriors initial agreement was to pay visiting sides travel and accommodation for so  many years. The Catalans have had a club grant from super league yet have dont provide any profit to the game from TV rights, they do provide a bigger market to potential Super League sponsors. Toronto have been accepted into Super League under the condition they dont get a club grant and they pay for visiting sides travel and accommodation as currently bring no revenue to Super League. Super League is funded by TV deal to Sky sports buy UK people who buy subscriptions and Sky also makes a bit by selling TV right s to other markets like Australia an NZ. Canada currently has no TV deal just the potential that one could be found... look at how well that is going in France? Also preventing a TV rights deal in France or Canada is relegation as the one team from each country could potentially be relegated every year devaluing any rights deals in those markets. I am a big fan of expansion but the whole thing with the Wolfpack hasn't been well thought out by anyone Super League and Wolfpack included. 

It's actually worse than that. TWP get nothing from the UK TV deal, whilst the North American rights had already been sold (for a packet of monkey nuts), so TWP couldn't sell them themselves anyway.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

24 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

It's actually worse than that. TWP get nothing from the UK TV deal, whilst the North American rights had already been sold (for a packet of monkey nuts), so TWP couldn't sell them themselves anyway.

Yes the thing often forgotten...

Northern, insular fans say “get your own tv deal,” but thanks to the current deal that’s not allowed. 

24 minutes ago, Omott91 said:

Does anyone have access to or have watched the Sky video of Argyle pledging to continue to support Twp?

This link works in Canada.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/rugby-league/12033500/david-argyle-to-continue-toronto-wolfpack-venture

This might be a second bit of same interview, but can't view in Canada.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/rugby-league/12033497/david-argyle-short-sighted-to-not-continue-toronto-venture

Archived