The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

7 hours ago, bobbruce said:

New Zealand Warriors. 

different country at the minute at least. 

That's why I said continent , and they are based in NZ , which is their home , the NZ Warriors based IN NZ 

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

The people running these Clubs have to take some of the responsibility not just the Governing Body. The Paris experiment was just to keep Sky happy with the brave new world, and the Crusaders was a total mess, with players here on Student Visas, along with moving to Wrexham from the South.

I'd agree if TWP was a one off but look at how London not been promoted Catalans who've been best success story in decades for RL were helped No relegation for 3 year AFAIK

TWP have not been given a penny - They've essentially been set up to fail 

That makes SL and RFL look like Cowboys collective kick in balls for the sport 

Contrast that with the NRL and how it helped the Storm & stepped in when Knights & Titans had issues

Even look at AFL who've pumped millions in Sydney area and Perth 

Parochialism seem to be SL/RFL speciality 🤡

13 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Hull KR chairman Neil Hudgell claims that when Toronto was accepted into the RFL structure it was on the basis that they would never qualify for any central distribution at any stage and instead be "Self funding in perpetuity".

I am not surprised at all by anything Hudgell says. This self funding angle is strange and I'd love the RFL to clarify because in the first couple of years of Toronto's existence the talk was always no funding until they reached Super League. It was only when that moment came close that there was any mention of anything different.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

I am not surprised at all by anything Hudgell says. This self funding angle is strange and I'd love the RFL to clarify because in the first couple of years of Toronto's existence the talk was always no funding until they reached Super League. It was only when that moment came close that there was any mention of anything different.

Hudgell typifies mickey mouse mentality of RL owners

You might as well not bother with expansion

Just have a M62 Competition + Catalans with a Cameo Appearance from London & Toulouse

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There are some very interesting quotes there from Hudgell. 

We know Hudgell has never been a fan of TWP, he has made that clear numerous times.  Bob Hunter said only 6 clubs actually support their inclusion. If i was a betting man:

Leeds, Warrington, Saints, Catalans, Wigan, Hull.

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

We know Hudgell has never been a fan of TWP, he has made that clear numerous times.  Bob Hunter said only 6 clubs actually support their inclusion. If i was a betting man:

No Coincidence

Just the 6 best teams in the Comp 😆😆

Honourable mention for Cas

Expecting Turkeys to vote for Christmas is a sub optimal strategy

RL in the UK need a independent style commission like they have in NRL

A good leader like a V'Landys would be nice as well

Elstone to date has been the Invisible Hollow man 

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

I've made the point about the self funding thing that they sold themselves on this, without a signed contract getting central funding is always going to be difficult. 

I get the impression that Argyle thought he would be able to get media deals and its been harder than he expected. 

The point about how difficult it has been to get information from TWP being like pulling teeth supports Elstone's frustrations last year when we were all critical of his negative stance. 

But I do take on board who is saying this. As always I expect the truth is somewhere between the two versions.

Pretty much spot on there rugger.

We still though have to give the chance to ambitious clubs which is why the SL/1/2 proposal that I made would work.I follow a championship club albeit with only around 1000 followers now however RL cannot afford to alienate anyone.P 

9 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

It would be easy for TWP to refute the claims. Just last week people were dismissing the claims of late payments as gossip, then Bob Hunter confirmed it. 

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There are some very interesting quotes there from Hudgell. 

My favourite Hudgell quote is "I am an expansionist, albeit only based on solid foundations in the heartlands."

Eh?? He's in favour of expansion, but only within the heartlands???

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I've made the point about the self funding thing that they sold themselves on this, without a signed contract getting central funding is always going to be difficult. 

I get the impression that Argyle thought he would be able to get media deals and its been harder than he expected. 

The point about how difficult it has been to get information from TWP being like pulling teeth supports Elstone's frustrations last year when we were all critical of his negative stance. 

But I do take on board who is saying this. As always I expect the truth is somewhere between the two versions.

One possible reason I think is that it changed when Elstone and SLE came on the scene. When Toronto were admitted the RFL were over everything. 

Also on the media deals I thought that they cant sell their own due to Sky having the rights and selling them on in North America. Therefore they aren't getting TV money and aren't allowed to get a deal either.

9 minutes ago, dboy said:

My favourite Hudgell quote is "I am an expansionist, albeit only based on solid foundations in the heartlands."

Eh?? He's in favour of expansion, but only within the heartlands???

Yeah I genuinely laughed out loud when I read that.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

One possible reason I think is that it changed when Elstone and SLE came on the scene. When Toronto were admitted the RFL were over everything. 

Also on the media deals I thought that they cant sell their own due to Sky having the rights and selling them on in North America. Therefore they aren't getting TV money and aren't allowed to get a deal either.

I think I've mentioned this numerous times on here and also mentioned it to @Dave T who is apparently "pro expansion".  Although judging by the posting history, he is pro expansion like Donald Trump is pro mexico!

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It would be easy for TWP to refute the claims. Just last week people were dismissing the claims of late payments as gossip, then Bob Hunter confirmed it. 

I'm beginning to wonder now whether what Neil Hudgell said about their terms of entry is accurate and Eric Pérez mis-stated them at the time to make them sound more palatable to the media and public over here.  That might explain why Toronto wasn't green-lit until the last minute a year ago.

In a sort-of-similar vein, the Toronto Blue Jays, unable to play any games in Toronto because the government denied them permission, thought they had a deal to share Pittsburgh's stadium with the Pirates. Just now the Pennsylvania State government denied them permission, so here it is a week from their first 'home' game and they have no home to play in.

They hope to work out a deal with Baltimore. Failing that there is an inadequate stadium in Buffalo, a stadium in virus-ravaged Florida that they already abandoned, or playing all their games on the road. In the latter two cases many players will most likely opt out and not play at all in 2020.

No matter what the sport, it seems being the only Canadian team in a foreign league will present unique challenges.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yeah I genuinely laughed out loud when I heard that.

Then more fool you.

TWP are now offering their 'signings' for 2021 to other clubs. Wake up and smell the coffee.

The first thing Argyle should do in his message on Thursday is offer compensation to Hull Kingston Rovers for needlessly bringing them off furlough early to comply with the 3 week ruling. 

TWP have lost the trust not just of Neil Hudgell but all of Super League.

4 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I'm beginning to wonder now whether what Neil Hudgell said about their terms of entry is accurate and Eric Pérez mis-stated them at the time to make them sound more palatable to the media and public over here.  That might explain why Toronto wasn't green-lit until the last minute a year ago.

If that was the case I'd have expected the RFL to set the record straight pronto. I think the fact they said nothing speaks volumes.

2 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Then more fool you.

TWP are now offering their 'signings' for 2021 to other clubs. Wake up and smell the coffee.

The first thing Argyle should do in his message on Thursday is offer compensation to Hull Kingston Rovers for needlessly bringing them off furlough early to comply with the 3 week ruling. 

TWP have lost the trust not just of Neil Hudgell but all of Super League.

None of which has nothing to do with the quote I laughed at so who's the fool now?

Archived