The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, Loup said:

Pro tip: read more than the headline.

SBW is, possibly, going to the Roosters for the remainder of the 2020 season. Whether to play or be a mentor/coach to be determined.

The article says that SBW wants to return to the Wolfpack in 2021 and so his current contract will be rewritten.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/toronto-wolfpack-to-help-sonny-bill-williams-return-to-nrl/181b393b-6641-415e-802a-e50ee60a1547

All assuming Wolfpack continues in 2021.

Going from a tweet passed on to me.No headline,nothing.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Loup said:

Pro tip: read more than the headline.

SBW is, possibly, going to the Roosters for the remainder of the 2020 season. Whether to play or be a mentor/coach to be determined.

The article says that SBW wants to return to the Wolfpack in 2021 and so his current contract will be rewritten.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/toronto-wolfpack-to-help-sonny-bill-williams-return-to-nrl/181b393b-6641-415e-802a-e50ee60a1547

All assuming Wolfpack continues in 2021.

They are ripping up his contract. Once it’s gone, it’s gone....

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Oh hang on, I remember now. Wasn't there something about an IPO and Sonny Bill given shares in the club? There must be an exit strategy for Argyle other than burn $100 bills in perpetuity. 

Alway think its crazy that if he started to burn a $100 every minute it would take him over 19 years to get through his wealth.

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Yes that is the bit that doesn't make sense. Given that the bulk of expenditure is players' salaries and they are going to continue paying those anyway (so they state) then the cost saving of not playing is quite minimal. They already have a squad based here and their training infrastructure etc in place so its difficult to see what significant difference carrying on would have made.

Had they said we can't afford to pay the players and made them all free agents then fair enough, but to withdraw and keep paying the bulk of costs is pretty strange. I guess the acid test is if they do actually pay the players what they are due.

To add to that , I would say the RFL may have denied a number of those players the opportunity of finding another club when they decided that the Championship was to be cancelled with no promotion available.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes thanks for that Mike, blindsidejohnny suggested in an earlier post I was taking the powers that be for granted in stating the obvious, but if as you say this is the case and Ottawa are full members by buying Hemel's membership then is johnny giving tge more credit than they deserve, Ottawa obviously recognised a loophole that the RFL didn't envisage if they did then in my opinion they were wrong in not closing it.

I agree that there should be clauses inserted, but I would go further and say that the 'membership' is only substantiated if the club is operational within the UK. 

My understanding is that only UK based clubs can be full members of the RFL. Hence neither Catalans or Toulouse are full members.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

100%. My friends dad is/was a part owner at a Super League club, said to me "no one gets involved in a sports club to make money".

That may be different in the USA, but here not so.

It is different in North America.  As many decades of experience in at least five sports has shown, the franchised North American operating model makes investment in big time major league sports franchises profitable for those investors.  If the value of minor league baseball franchises (some of which are worth slightly more than 30 million US$) is any guide it's also profitable to own a minor league franchise over here.

9 hours ago, The Rocket said:

If they couldn`t afford that, then maybe the venture should never started. I hope I am not sounding too harsh.

Not at all, I’m at that conclusion myself. I’m just defining “they” as RFL and TWP collectively.

My biggest point is that a lot of people on the board seem a bit lost in the weeds about who needs to carry blame for one thing or another, and frankly it doesn’t matter. I’m a relatively engaged TWP supporter, so I’m a lot more patient about things than most, but that’s not where they’re going to make their money from; they need to entice casual fans, who have lots of other options (most notably Toronto FC in the summer months).

A fundamental (and reasonable) question that there needs to be a clear answer for is: how do I follow the TWP?

For the last two years, that answer was: watch the free online CBC streams on Sunday mornings or come to the Saturday afternooon games at Lamport when they’re at home.

This year, it changed to: well, you need to pay for a $50/month television package, but some of the games just won’t be available and some of them are in the middle of the afternoon on weekdays so you need to constantly check the schedule to find out when and if you can watch them.

The pandemic causing the loss of every home game basically meant that TWP had zero chance of attracting new fans this year, and likely are going to lose a chunk of the casual fan base they had been growing the past few years.

We can sit here pointing fingers at whoever we want, but it doesn’t matter whose fault it is if it doesn’t result in a reliable form of entertainment.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

From Twitter:

Love it,but you forgot the > Free Beer tokens on entry..for a full house.

and, Gate Left Open 10 minutes after kickoff,free for locals,

Just now, silverback said:

Love it,but you forgot the > Free Beer tokens on entry..for a full house.

and, Gate Left Open 10 minutes after kickoff,free for locals,

When were you at Lamport, silverback?

5 minutes ago, Loup said:

When were you at Lamport, silverback?

well that edited from "go boil your head" i would have loved to a gone to toronto and did infact save up for a while,but had 2 heart attacks so dont fancy the long haul now to be fair,

Interesting article from Matthew Shaw:

In 2017, Toronto played away from home against nine teams (everyone played each other once, splitting home and away games, before the Super 8s split).

Of those nine clubs, eight boasted an above-average attendance when they hosted Toronto Wolfpack.

Only Whitehaven were unable to match their average crowd, with 643 attending compared to their 703 average.

Of those clubs, three enjoyed their highest attendance of the year.

Moving into 2018, Toronto played in the Championship.

But the trend continued. Eight of the eleven clubs who entertained them enjoyed above-average crowds. In the cases of Featherstone, Leigh and Toulouse, they pulled in their biggest crowds of the entire campaign.

The Super 8s saw Toronto play at the homes of Super League opposition for the first time. Leeds and Salford both entertained the Wolfpack, though both did attract lower than average crowds.

Coming into 2019, the Championship expanded to 14 teams. However, their pulling power did seem to drop somewhat.

Only six teams were able to attract larger than average crowds, with seven reporting lower than average.

Yet of the 35 figures we’ve looked at, on 22 occasions, clubs attracted above average crowds.

But perhaps the most interesting statistic is that not one club has suffered their worst attendance of the season when hosting Toronto Wolfpack. In contrast, five have pulled in their best.

KEY STATS

• 62% of Toronto games drew an above-average attendance for the home side
  • Not one club suffered their worst attendance of the season when hosting Toronto Wolfpack
  • Five clubs attracted their best attendance of the season when hosting Toronto Wolfpack

https://www.totalrl.com/do-toronto-wolfpack-really-bring-no-away-fans/

Archived