The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

5 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

Found it. From the i, UK newspaper, trying to locate the edition.

Toronto Wolfpack CEO Bob Hunter said: “Issues have been resolved. The transaction that had been delayed for a number of weeks has gone through. Money being transferred from Canada today. Players will be paid Monday or Tuesday [next week].”

From this weeks League Express:

Hunter, meanwhile, also addressed the club’s inability to pay their players and staff, who will be owed two months of wages by Wednesday.

“We’re still scrambling but working hard,” Hunter said.

“It’s very tough on our guys and we’re trying to communicate as much as possible and trying to get a result. Next weekend is August 1st and we’ve still not resolved July 1st. But David has committed to them getting paid. Where those funds come from remains a challenge for us, but it’s a daily conversation and something we’re trying to resolve.”

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wiganermike said:

I won't try to pretend that arrangement is fair but did TWP actually have to pay out anything in this regard this year? As far as I can see they flew to the UK at the start of pre-season and stayed here. No-one has travelled to Canada to play them this year.

Rented the stadium.

Booked space at the hotel.

Booked transportation in Toronto.

Refundable? Maybe.

2 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

I suppose both quotes can be correct, and the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

The league express is the most recent quote on the matter, it does raise the question why Bob Hunter was claiming the money had been cleared but now it hasn't....

Games will be played - maybe - in the late fall/early winter. Desperate fans will turn out in good numbers. SL/RFL declares moving to a summer game was clearly a mistake so we will go back to a winter schedule. Which no North American team can play in, so, problem solved and face saved all round.

32 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Playing nice doesn't seem to have accomplished anything with SL. Time to play hardball.

Exactly...they are bluffing...CALL.

"There goes a fast ball zinger right in the pocket...Argyle is looking like a Nolan Ryan in his prime out there!"

57 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

how many Kayaks will need to be sold to keep Toronto afloat ?

I mention the sale of Kayaks because its about as credible as eveything else Argyle comes out with.

There is big money in kayaks.  If you buy one I'm sure you will get a bite.

Customers who viewed also viewed

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

Playing nice doesn't seem to have accomplished anything with SL. Time to play hardball.

Hardball? What possible leverage do Toronto have left? They've already pulled out, broken up the team, and the rich owner has declared he's run out of money. I say this with genuine regret, but it's all over. 

A transatlantic operation was always a high wire act, but for a while it looked like it might work. But COVID - which I might add is still far from over - has smashed the model, and there's no guarantee it can be rebuilt. Despite Perez's enthusiasm, even Ottawa isn't viable in the current circumstances as there's no guarantee that by April borders will be open, full flights will be running and quarantine will be over. 

Nobody comes out of this well, but to be honest there isn't really blame to be laid. Reality has changed, and we all have to adjust our expectations based on the new reality. The earlier poster who said that the best thing would be for the Canadian teams to mothball until things change got it spot on in my view. 

6 hours ago, Spidey said:

Reality. Widnes went teets up in 2019. Leigh have great sponsorship income and a backer willing to put  £millions in, TO are a city but with little RL following at present and must move grounds. Players based on current league results. Bradford are a commercial mess but with huge fan potential. Stadium LSV is head and shoulders, Widnes plastic pitch gets it marked down for me. Fev have worked wonders but access and parking let it down. Crowd based on current levels plus recent actuals in SL

Finance Commerce Stadium Crowd Players Score
Toulouse 5 5 3 1 4 18
Widnes 1 3 3 4 1 13
Leigh 4 4 5 4 4 21
London 3 2 1 1 3 10
Bradford 2 2 1 5 2 12
Featherstone 3 3 3 3 4 16

1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

The league express is the most recent quote on the matter, it does raise the question why Bob Hunter was claiming the money had been cleared but now it hasn't....

Buys time, stops a replacement being found for TW this season and its what Rimmer wants to hear

7 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Reality. Widnes went teets up in 2019. Leigh have great sponsorship income and a backer willing to put  £millions in, TO are a city but with little RL following at present and must move grounds. Players based on current league results. Bradford are a commercial mess but with huge fan potential. Stadium LSV is head and shoulders, Widnes plastic pitch gets it marked down for me. Fev have worked wonders but access and parking let it down. Crowd based on current levels plus recent actuals in SL

Toulouse 5 5 3 1 4 18
Widnes 1 3 3 4 1 13
Leigh 4 4 5 4 4 21
London 3 2 1 1 3 10
Bradford 2 2 1 5 2 12

I'm sure there should be a plus point for owning your own stadium too. This reduces the threat of the ultimate owners pulling the plug.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

9 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Toulouse 5 5 3 1 4 18
Widnes 1 3 3 4 1 13
Leigh 4 4 5 4 4 21
London 3 2 1 1 3 10
Bradford 2 2 1 5 2 12

Why must Toulouse move grounds?

12 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

He probably read his emails and saw that this Autumn comp was pointless when the winner would only get £35k.

Actually it would be £60-70k if you do your sums.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Currently in Spanish waters I believe so might be out of circulation for 14 days on his return. A shame if so, he is good entertainment value.

14 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Why must Toulouse move grounds?

Its a fair way out of town, the viewing angles are not great, the toilets make Hilton Parks look good. I have advocated TO into 2 division SL structure for years btw and 3 French teams in that structure will be good for French RL in general - and therefore N Hemisphere RL

10 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Toulouse 5 5 3 1 4 18
Widnes 1 3 3 4 1 13
Leigh 4 4 5 4 4 21
London 3 2 1 1 3 10
Bradford 2 2 1 5 2 12

Toulouse have moved grounds. As someone (can't remember who) posted they now play at the Ernest Wallon the RU club's stadium.

I know Bradford are mid table Championship but considering they have a fully functioning academy system how are they lower than Leigh on the player score? Likewise London (though they are regular promotion contenders) and Widnes, all three have produced players recently that are now in SL and are capable of producing players for themselves and the wider pro/semi pro game. The player score would surely consider more than the men in the first team squad. Also how is London's money man less valued than Leigh's? He supported a SL squad for longer than DB has.

19 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I'm sure there should be a plus point for owning your own stadium too. This reduces the threat of the ultimate owners pulling the plug.

Depends who the owners are. Upkeep could be an issue for older grounds, extra revenue streams a positive

17 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Its a fair way out of town, the viewing angles are not great, the toilets make Hilton Parks look good. I have advocated TO into 2 division SL structure for years btw and 3 French teams in that structure will be good for French RL in general - and therefore N Hemisphere RL

Ernest Wallon? Where they currently play 

6 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Do your talking on the field. If you can’t meet that. TUFF.

Somewhat irrelevant if a selection panel is choosing the club most likely to survive and thrive if chosen for elevation to SL based on the criteria shown in that Excel table. The team with the weakest first team squad could be chosen should they rate better in the other criteria. That selection panel deliberation, in producing their opinions of such ratings, is the process for elevation to SL that people are discussing.

7 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

Toulouse have moved grounds. As someone (can't remember who) posted they now play at the Ernest Wallon the RU club's stadium.

I know Bradford are mid table Championship but considering they have a fully functioning academy system how are they lower than Leigh on the player score? Likewise London (though they are regular promotion contenders) and Widnes, all three have produced players recently that are now in SL and are capable of producing players for themselves and the wider pro/semi pro game. The player score would surely consider more than the men in the first team squad. Also how is London's money man less valued than Leigh's? He supported a SL squad for longer than DB has.

It would be subjective but my reasons are London need propping up far more due to gates, team is based on this years results and Fev battered London away. I do know Leigh spent full cap in SL and didn't need Dereks financial support to do so.

You are correct on TO this season, but is it a one year move? Hope it's not and they can get more fans in

Just now, sweaty craiq said:

It would be subjective but my reasons are London need propping up far more due to gates, team is based on this years results and Fev battered London away. I do know Leigh spent full cap in SL and didn't need Dereks financial support to do so.

You are correct on TO this season, but is it a one year move? Hope it's not and they can get more fans in

The stadium move is intended to be a long term one I believe to allow them to have a SL ready stadium should they achieve promotion.

I guessed that you were basing the player score on the relative squad strengths but I would imagine that if a panel were choosing a 12th club that the active academies would raise the scores of the others I mentioned. Similarly Fev may get marked down due to their DR arrangement (though I don't know how much they rely on it rather than their own squad without DR).

I do think it's slightly unfair to effectively mark London down twice for their crowds though. While true that the crowds may affect sustainability without David Hughes' money the same argument of reliance on the owner could be made against most clubs at all levels. Leigh had their own wobble not too long ago when DB was considering his involvement.

5 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Then the selection team better be selective. There is no deliberation. You can’t take a squad who requires DR. You can’t take a team that was demoted. And you can’t take a team that has failed and never seen SL.

Good luck with your choice.

Is there a time limit on that very silly "can't have been demoted"? Or is it just another convoluted way of getting your team up?

3 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Then the selection team better be selective. There is no deliberation. You can’t take a squad who requires DR. You can’t take a team that was demoted. And you can’t take a team that has failed and never seen SL.

Good luck with your choice.

Having been relegated from SL previously, having a DR agreement or not having been in the top flight before wouldn't preclude a club from being chosen. As I said if a club had a weak squad but outscored the rest in the other criteria then they could be chosen. Look at Widnes when licensing was being used. I'm not choosing, I am merely discussing the ratings another poster suggested and how my opinions differ in some ways.

Archived