The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

17 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Mr Rimmer is obviously portraying a lack of those qualities, if as has been reported he is championing a club and owner knee dip in the dippy do's.

As you referenced me commenting on it, I assume you mean my mentioning him being more understanding about the circumstances which caused TWP to withdraw. He isn't championing their cause, he just seems to acknowledge that the financial pressures stated by TWP in their official statement announcing their withdrawal and since then in interviews are legitimate reasons for concern which led them to withdraw. He seems to be taking a balanced approach to a difficult situation rather than acting based on emotion.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Reported where Harry - link please?

What I assume he is referring to as he referenced me posting about it is an article in this week's LE at the bottom of page 3. It is also on the TRL homepage I believe if you have premium membership. It doesn't suggest him championing a cause as Harry portrays in his post.

I admit to not having been following the invitation tournament thing too closely, but it doesn't seem too bad an idea. Isn't furlough ending at the end of October anyway? Staging some games in November with crowds (many games don't test capacities anyway) seems like a good thing to do, no? 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I admit to not having been following the invitation tournament thing too closely, but it doesn't seem too bad an idea. Isn't furlough ending at the end of October anyway? Staging some games in November with crowds (many games don't test capacities anyway) seems like a good thing to do, no? 

no teams better off concentrating on a new preseason training regime to get the best out of next years competition as soon as league cancelled all thoughts of playing games should have been put to bed

Just now, Dave T said:

It's just a matter of costs and risks of entering weighed against potential gain for the clubs really. The fewer clubs enter the higher potential prize money for each participant can become. With potentially 16 teams entering the prizes and thus motivation to enter are small. It may be that those considering entry are biding their time in the hope of more clubs declining and an increased yield with fewer entrants. I doubt gate money from a couple of extra games would outweigh the difference between prize values for a 16 team comp compared to an 8 team one for example once the increased testing costs are factored in. Hence we may see a run of withdrawals continuing until the potential field is cut down to such an extent as to increase the split of prize money for each entrant. We may see teams start to say yes once they know 10 or fewer would be competing.

15 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

As you referenced me commenting on it, I assume you mean my mentioning him being more understanding about the circumstances which caused TWP to withdraw. He isn't championing their cause, he just seems to acknowledge that the financial pressures stated by TWP in their official statement announcing their withdrawal and since then in interviews are legitimate reasons for concern which led them to withdraw. He seems to be taking a balanced approach to a difficult situation rather than acting based on emotion.

Thank Mike. I also read LE and didn't get the impression that Harry is trying to convey.

It is strange, is it not, that one can obtain a much more level-headed understanding when not emotionally compromised?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

No,

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Not what I was suggesting or ever would Harry, just that a team in an untapped or sparsely populated (pro RL clubwise) has some USPs that will help it in many regards.

That only applies if they actually try to do something with those assets Tommy ?

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

That only applies if they actually try to do something with those assets Tommy ?

London do, they managed to get promoted off a largely home grown team. I think like most promoted teams in most sports they'd need further investment to bring in talent to supplement that to the next level.

17 minutes ago, POR said:

no teams better off concentrating on a new preseason training regime to get the best out of next years competition as soon as league cancelled all thoughts of playing games should have been put to bed

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

No,

I appreciate it is a fine balancing act, but the way Rugby League clubs get income generally is by playing RL games. 

12 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

It is strange, is it not, that one can obtain a much more level-headed understanding when not emotionally compromised?

Yes agree johnny 

but the way it was interpreted by Choo and posted:- I quote

That is somewhat reassuring.  Ralf Rimmer has seen, first hand, the success of the team, the game day experience, and the growth and excitement in a massive, new, untapped market.

He was able to see the 10000+ fans, he's heard the roar of the crowd, he knows they're not just cardboard cut-outs, and he's been on hand to see the Mayor, City Councillors, news cameras, massive lines for merchandise and food/drink etc.

Fingers crossed that his seemingly extremely positive personal experience will rub off on others who share a seat at the decision making table.

Now that does sound to me like Choo is considering Mr Rimmer to be fighting in Toronto's corner would you not agree. 

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes agree johnny 

but the way it was interpreted by Choo and posted:- I quote

That is somewhat reassuring.  Ralf Rimmer has seen, first hand, the success of the team, the game day experience, and the growth and excitement in a massive, new, untapped market.

He was able to see the 10000+ fans, he's heard the roar of the crowd, he knows they're not just cardboard cut-outs, and he's been on hand to see the Mayor, City Councillors, news cameras, massive lines for merchandise and food/drink etc.

Fingers crossed that his seemingly extremely positive personal experience will rub off on others who share a seat at the decision making table.

Now that does sound to me like Choo is considering Mr Rimmer to be fighting in Toronto's corner would you not agree. 

"RFL chairman supports team playing in RFL administered competition stopping going out of business" 

Nothing to see here.

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I appreciate it is a fine balancing act, but the way Rugby League clubs get income generally is by playing RL games. 

Obviously the clubs who have already reneged don't see the value of competing in a Mikey Mouse tournanent, it won't be long before the others see sense, it is nothing more than a series of friendlies with a pittance of a prize attached.

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

“Will they come back? I’m guessing that remains to be seen. I think all the noises are that they are going to try to get back for next season, but I’d suggest there is a fair bit to play out in that story just yet.”

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/leeds-and-huddersfield-rule-out-signing-any-toronto-players/

More skeletons in the cupboard?

HAS IT EVER REALLY BEEN IN DOUBT?

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Paying to travel and stay in Canada and not have any away fans so to speak attracted to watch them, I know others say this shouldn't matter but I would suggest they are the ones not counting the money. 

So paying their own way to away games like they do for everyone else? You do realise how utterly little village that sounds...

Classic "tHeY bRiNg No aWaY fAnS" btw. That debate has been done to death and is fundamentally flawed as you should well know by now. See this article for all the stats you need.

Doing well on the Toronto bingo though!

As an extension to that article, Leeds got more against Toronto than they did against Hull KR this season. Must have been a problem getting from East Hull...

2 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Fev haven't made an announcement about the '125 Cup' yet but have withdrawn from the CC - same with Thunder I believe. 

Newcastle Thunder today confirmed that they will not be participating in the proposed RFL 125th Year Celebration Tournament in October and November this year.The club have also confirmed that it will be withdrawing from the Coral Challenge Cup.

Archived