The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

5 minutes ago, Anadolu XIII said:

There are up to seven separate bids already interested in taking over Toronto with three in active negotiation. 

Slow this down for a second for the naysayers. Even though the situation is clearly not great can you imagine your team having a line up of investors hoping to sow millions into your club. 

Unless you are in a major centre, the answer is no. 

This is an additional evidence for the NEED for clubs like Toronto that attract investment. Even when someone screws up in the most awful economic environment since the depression rich people are lining up to invest. 

If only this was a normal occurrence in Rugby League.

If we see decent investors come out of the woodwork to takeover TWP it could be a brilliant result. 

But calm down with the criticism of the other clubs until these investors actually do anything. It is no more than media reports right now. 

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dave T said:

It's taken the world collapsing to highlight it in an extreme way, but SLE and the RFL don't like over-reliance on a single stakeholder, although the game can't afford to be picky as many clubs are in that position. But Elstone called out this as a risk 12 months ago. As I say the circumstances have been far more extreme than any of us could have imagined, which is a real shame for the project.

I suspect that as TWP could not negotiate a Canadian TV deal until the current SL expires, their plan was for Mr Argyle to provide the funding, however to get enough Canadians across the country to watch a team called Toronto on TV, the team has to be a winner, hence the heavy investment (believe me, here in Vancouver we have an aversion to most things called Toronto, but we watch the Raptors and Jays when they win, as they are the Canadian representative, but a losing Wolfpack would stimulate little interest outside the 8-9,000 attending Lamport).
I’m sure this was the thing that particularly worried Mr Elstone, but given that TWP had won promotion on the field he was convinced to go ahead with this risky plan. I would go as far as to say the whole SBW signing was about getting Canadians across the country watching regardless of the teams performance just because they would want to see the star name. Of course this whole plan just might have worked, but once Covid ended any international air travel TWP was hit on 2 fronts, your main sponsor is an airline which no longer flies, and you can’t play at home (and no one knows when any Canadian team will play at home again?). 
As much as there is talk of new people stepping in why would they with no TV deal possible until the old one expires. I really don’t see any North American activity (including Ottawa) until a separate NA deal can be negotiated, even then I see no US interest at all, so probably no New York.

6 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

I suspect that as TWP could not negotiate a Canadian TV deal until the current SL expires, their plan was for Mr Argyle to provide the funding, however to get enough Canadians across the country to watch a team called Toronto on TV, the team has to be a winner, hence the heavy investment (believe me, here in Vancouver we have an aversion to most things called Toronto, but we watch the Raptors and Jays when they win, as they are the Canadian representative, but a losing Wolfpack would stimulate little interest outside the 8-9,000 attending Lamport).
I’m sure this was the thing that particularly worried Mr Elstone, but given that TWP had won promotion on the field he was convinced to go ahead with this risky plan. I would go as far as to say the whole SBW signing was about getting Canadians across the country watching regardless of the teams performance just because they would want to see the star name. Of course this whole plan just might have worked, but once Covid ended any international air travel TWP was hit on 2 fronts, your main sponsor is an airline which no longer flies, and you can’t play at home (and no one knows when any Canadian team will play at home again?). 
As much as there is talk of new people stepping in why would they with no TV deal possible until the old one expires. I really don’t see any North American activity (including Ottawa) until a separate NA deal can be negotiated, even then I see no US interest at all, so probably no New York.

I do seem to recall a vague point about TWP being able to buy out the current NA TV deal, and in any case this has only a short time period remaining anyway I believe. And it should be remembered that only a limited number of SL games are shown, so there was scope. 

The issue was that they couldn't give it away free like in the lower leagues. 

1 hour ago, clogdance said:

What has happened to Mr Argyle ? Covid 19 arrives, and suddenly players aren't getting paid, and he appears to have lost interest rather quickly. Yes, I know he has invested a few £million into the club, but I still find it all very strange.

His money is in mining and other diverse businesses. Asset rich, cash poor. Mining sector like many others was hit hard by pandemic, whatever he has to sell would be hugely undervalued. His very nice Japanese restaurant in the financial district has been closed since March. It seems Argyle was running Wolfpack somewhat hand to mouth in the last few months anyway - remember we have had no games in Toronto this season, the first was scheduled for April.

He is passionate about the club. He just seems to be out of liquid cash.

6 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

As I say head in sand if you think Toronto were going fine and dandy before Covid, it might be the thing that finishes them off, but there was issues before this.

they were paying SBW more than the central distribution, if they weren’t they would have had a safety net. John Wilkin has said they were paying (or not) players far too much money for it to be sustainable, they have been badly run and its biting them now.

And this is the issue..it does seem from what ive read they simply where paying out to much money, far more than they could ever hope to get back..and that was before SBW arrived it was always doomed 

Just now, Pigeon Lofter said:

WTF?

The mind boggles, doesn’t it?

Might be horses**t but there’s always been a strong whiff of RU about David Argyle. 

I’d like to know why an RU club is sniffing around it. To defect to MLR or the English comp or Pro 14? Or as a beachhead into some other plan? Who knows? 

11 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Might be horses**t but there’s always been a strong whiff of RU about David Argyle. 

I’d like to know why an RU club is sniffing around it. To defect to MLR or the English comp or Pro 14? Or as a beachhead into some other plan? Who knows? 

Not a chance of them joining MLR or the Pro14.  Firstly, there is an MLR club in TO already so I don't know where you dreamed that up.  Any Pro14 club would need to be sanctioned by the Canadian Rugby Union and that isn't happening with the CRU putting their backing towards MLR.

14 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

Just look at all the rat clubs coming out of the woodwork to try and feast on the carcass.

Remember Rugger that " revenge is a dish best served cold "

10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

WASPS would be my bet (Already a financial basket case)

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Saracens? There are pre-existing ties with them. 

Aye I thought them too, clearly flush with cash and have been offloading some big earners - as well as having previous interests in North America.

11 hours ago, clogdance said:

There will be interest won't there. Toronto will be allowed to stay in Super League, so you will be buying the ownership of a top flight club, that is BIG news over here because it is a city in Canada rather than a town in Cumbria.

No one is preventing anyone from sponsoring a team from Cumbria.

17 hours ago, Anadolu XIII said:

There are up to seven separate bids already interested in taking over Toronto with three in active negotiation. 

Slow this down for a second for the naysayers. Even though the situation is clearly not great can you imagine your team having a line up of investors hoping to sow millions into your club. 

Unless you are in a major centre, the answer is no. 

This is an additional evidence for the NEED for clubs like Toronto that attract investment. Even when someone screws up in the most awful economic environment since the depression rich people are lining up to invest. 

If only this was a normal occurrence in Rugby League.

Do you think any 'Bidder' is going to accept the same terms that Toronto negotiated with the RFL in that - 

1. They will recive no Central Distribution Funding

2. They will pay the travel and subsistance costs of all visiting teams.

3. They will not recieve full membership of the governing body.

4. They will have no voting rights in any discussions, amendments or rules of the organisation.

If the RFL or SL - were it affects them - are going to reverse all these implications, they may as well let the present owner/management have first call, at least they will then be dealing with The devil they know. 

But, if any other organisation is a successful 'Bidder' and allowed by the RFL/ SL to take over the precedent has already been set in that the club will still have to suffer the same penalties awarded for any misdemeanours just as if the club remained with the same ownership/management.

Archived