The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stevevalerugby said:

i agree with you but Toronto have been in existence since 2017 and there is nothing set up to even get youngsters interested.  i know it will take a long time to produce these but as i was saying the RFL leagues in general produce their own players and don't need a draft system.  not everything that works in north america is going to work in the UK and just because that's what they do in America doesen't mean its the right way to do it.  I would love to see both the North American sides thrive but until you get youngsters interested in schools and local clubs i don't think they will

Decades of experience with the North American franchise model in at least five sports has proven that is the right way to run top level pro sports.  It's the one model which makes investment in top level major league pro sports franchises consistently profitable for their owners, very profitable in fact.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Episode #3938 - GMB threatens legal action over unpaid wages 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/troubled-toronto-wolfpack-facing-legal-22469177?1

Didn't the players start their own union?

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

6 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

All very sad, however I do wish that this could all be sorted out quietly without the need for all the dirty laundry to be washed in public.

Nah, this is rugby league. Everything needs to be shouted over the garden fence to the neighbours.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

8 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

More legal action. Argyle and his cronies should have some sort of ownership ban enforced on them for this. 

One of the things that worries me about the whole saga covering the past couple of months is that rich guys like Mr Argyle get rich, and stay rich, by knowing exactly what their legal position is. This could end up getting very messy, very costly for the GMB and the poor players will still end up losing out.

I know that I'm pouring petrol (gasoline?) on an already burning fire, but I can't see how Fev can be admitted to SL without getting rid of one or both of Cas and Wakey. Having three SL clubs out of twelve in a small area of West Yorkshire would only confirm the Londoncentric media that RL is a small time parochial sport. What would Sky cough up for a new contact (on which the professional game depends on to survive) then?

4 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

I know that I'm pouring petrol (gasoline?) on an already burning fire, but I can't see how Fev can be admitted to SL without getting rid of one or both of Cas and Wakey. Having three SL clubs out of twelve in a small area of West Yorkshire would only confirm the Londoncentric media that RL is a small time parochial sport. What would Sky cough up for a new contact (on which the professional game depends on to survive) then?

If Fev win promotion on the pitch and it means 1/4 of SL teams are from that small area then so be it, let’s face it our real fan base is only parts of West Yorkshire, the area inbetween Liverpool and Manchester and Hull anyway. 

I was one of those who wanted TWP to succeed as I believed it could have opened up new, exciting avenues of coverage and sponsorship to RL that it was never likely to attain with its current (or past) leadership but I have grown increasingly uneasy about it over the past year. They took the right decision with changing coach but then there came Argyle's racial outburst and some perplexing signings upon joining SL with a frighteningly small squad as their initial results proved.

Of course Covoid-19 and it's effects couldn't have been mitigated for in any financial planning but that and SL obvious reluctance or downright hostility to engage and embrace them raised further alarm bells. Their operation model could never hope to overcome the restrictions that the virus has placed on society and I expect will continue to do so for a long time. However, the way that the player's have been treated with regards payments due is beyond acceptable, but alas not unusual in the world of business & finance or sport in fact, as numerous case's show.

The look it gives to the game is not good and will be used by it's detractors to beat us with as often as possible. It's also sad to see that 7,000+ people who seemed to enjoy the game for what it is, great entertainment, have probably been lost to it for ever, but what does that matter when we still have Dewsbury V Leigh.

(These two clubs are a random pick, from oh, so many, no prejudice on either)

10 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

I was one of those who wanted TWP to succeed as I believed it could have opened up new, exciting avenues of coverage and sponsorship to RL that it was never likely to attain with its current (or past) leadership but I have grown increasingly uneasy about it over the past year. They took the right decision with changing coach but then there came Argyle's racial outburst and some perplexing signings upon joining SL with a frighteningly small squad as their initial results proved.

Of course Covoid-19 and it's effects couldn't have been mitigated for in any financial planning but that and SL obvious reluctance or downright hostility to engage and embrace them raised further alarm bells. Their operation model could never hope to overcome the restrictions that the virus has placed on society and I expect will continue to do so for a long time. However, the way that the player's have been treated with regards payments due is beyond acceptable, but alas not unusual in the world of business & finance or sport in fact, as numerous case's show.

The look it gives to the game is not good and will be used by it's detractors to beat us with as often as possible. It's also sad to see that 7,000+ people who seemed to enjoy the game for what it is, great entertainment, have probably been lost to it for ever, but what does that matter when we still have Dewsbury V Leigh.

(These two clubs are a random pick, from oh, so many, no prejudice on either)

I hope you're not suggesting that a weekend in Toronto beats an evening round Fev???..

Begone Satan!

17 hours ago, SL17 said:

I wasn’t talking Sky. 

I thought you were: "If your business is pumping 900k a season   In to a competition of 12 teams then you expect 12 teams, otherwise you are not getting what you paid for. "

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

If they get their with on the pitch performance what is the problem? That is what Sport is all about. They would get decent crowds especially in the Local Derbies, Wakefield and Castleford. If you have never attended one of these Derbies, give it a try they are great occasions.

I’m with Clogiron on this, I was initially excited by the thoughts of pro RL in my adopted home, but as time went on it was obvious that things were going off the rails. Thanks to my sons I have been around the junior RU scene in BC for the past 7 years, during that time I have seen guys who are much more suited to RL than RU, in fact they are wasting their skills playing RU, but there has never been any TWP presence, suggesting that once the first year was completed, and Mr Perez departed, then there was no interest in finding Canadian players with a headlong race for SL the focus. For the price of Darcy Lussicks wage or Josh McCrones wage you could have employed a development team, but that was deemed unnecessary obviously. Then there was the numerous unpaid bills, arguments with other clubs, the racism incident, in fact the winning record of the team and the great fan support were the only good news stories, and now this. Very sad!

4 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

I hope you're not suggesting that a weekend in Toronto beats an evening round Fev???..

Begone Satan!

I must have missed the pit head revolving restaurant and the underground shopping centre on my last visit!

11 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

The population of Wakefield metropolitan district is approx 350,00, just slightly higher than the metropolitan borough of Wigan, of which the town itself is just over 100,000, a couple of thousand higher than the city of Wakefield. The eastern end of Wakefield district which contains Castleford, Featherstone & Pontefract is just as big, if not bigger than the western end which contains Wakefield itself.

Wigan borough has Wigan Warriors and Wigan Athletic, a former Premier League Club and FA CUP winners, while Wakefield district has Trinity, Cas & Fev.  

SO WHAT's THE PROBLEM!

On top of all that Featherstone area has far fewer soccer fans than Wakefield or Castleford and that's why they could match Wakefield for crowds in pre-Super League days.

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

The area inbetween Liverpool and Manchester.

And only very select areas in between. Not anywhere in Liverpool or Manchester for a start off.

1 hour ago, Steve Slater said:

Wigan borough has Wigan Warriors and Wigan Athletic.

Do not, and I really mean this, do not forget Leigh!

Archived