The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

Latest from the media:

Four interested buyers in TWP.

Vickers, McDermott and Hunter are the ones negotiating.

All four buyers are only interested in Toronto Toronto Wolfpack if they remain in Super League.

Not sure how confident I would be with Mr Vickers negotiating. One thing we do know is that the admin side of TWP was a disaster. 

On 08/08/2020 at 09:30, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think the hardcore NFL fans got disillusioned with a second rate product on the field until only the German based teams remained.

Basically the best players were playing in the states and only rejects or practice squad members made it to NFL Europe.  

Some players did make the reverse journey back to America with success, but crucially they weren’t big names while in Europe.

I think the reason NFL regular season games are so successful in London is that the games are meaningful and the teams are sending their best players.

Which is exactly why a NA RL league would not be any kind of real success.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

3 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Which is exactly why a NA RL league would not be any kind of real success.

Correct, it’s also evidenced in that although the NFL is a runaway success, and the college game also a runaway success (because 1 it breeds players for the NFL and 2 because of long standing alumni support), other versions of gridiron in NA such as the XFL have struggled, because people here don’t pay to watch second rate product. The only way a NA RL league could work is if all the best talent played in NA and that’s not happening anytime soon.

2 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Reporting in the league express  that Ricky Wilbys bid had withdrawn due to Eric Perez being unwilling to sell his minority stake, so it looks like we're down to the 2 previously unknown bidders.

Unwilling to sell his minority stake - classic.  TWP are broke, there is zero equity value, any shareholder thinking they have a position to hold out is funny.

Surely if the club is bought it will be through an insolvency procedure where being a shareholder means zilch.

30 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Unwilling to sell his minority stake - classic.  TWP are broke, there is zero equity value, any shareholder thinking they have a position to hold out is funny.

Surely if the club is bought it will be through an insolvency procedure where being a shareholder means zilch.

The irony that it may be Eric Perez, who started the whole TW project, is likely going to be the one that pulls the final trigger on it's demise is certainly not lost on me.

Can't see a way back for them now barring a miracle. 

I think its sad that Toronto may not survive.  Looking from outside SL was in a slow death spiral pre COVID, and only something bold could make a difference. The way Toronto went about things was always a 'hail mary' play hoping to catch on in Canada and get some serious cash involved to move forward. It may even have worked without COVID. Unless you get Bill Gates interested there's probably no other way to do it.

The most laughable criticism is that Toronto should have focused on development or even started a Canadian league. SL is utterly dependent on Aussies/Kiwis to have maybe half a dozen sides of any quality.  The Melbourne Storm - hugely successful for over a decade - have produced virtually no Victorian players. Its a pipedream and utterly unfair to expect an overseas side to do something member clubs are clearly hopeless at.

6 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

The irony that it may be Eric Perez, who started the whole TW project, is likely going to be the one that pulls the final trigger on it's demise is certainly not lost on me.

Can't see a way back for them now barring a miracle. 

The only logical reason I can think he would not sell to Wilby's crew is that he aware of the details of at least one of the other bids and it is more attractive to him.

I cannot imagine why he would want to simply kill Toronto off, throw away whatever was being offered for his stake and be pointed at as a potential scapegoat for their demise.

2 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

The only logical reason I can think he would not sell to Wilby's crew is that he aware of the details of at least one of the other bids and it is more attractive to him.

I cannot imagine why he would want to simply kill Toronto off, throw away whatever was being offered for his stake and be pointed at as a potential scapegoat for their demise.

There could be other reasons

1. He doesn’t believe Wilby’s crew can come up with the $

2. He doesn’t believe Wilby’s crew will keep the team in Canada

Or Wilby’s crew want to back out for their own reasons and the Perez story is a convenient excuse to drop out of the bidding. Pick one of the above.

1 minute ago, Oldbear said:

There could be other reasons

1. He doesn’t believe Wilby’s crew can come up with the $

2. He doesn’t believe Wilby’s crew will keep the team in Canada

Or Wilby’s crew want to back out for their own reasons and the Perez story is a convenient excuse to drop out of the bidding. Pick one of the above.

The first 2 outcomes would cost him absolutely nothing compared to the club folding though, so why would he be bothered unless something else is going on.

Perez saying no as a backout smokescreen I do find credible......providing they are confident he won't sue them.

11 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Reporting in the league express  that Ricky Wilbys bid had withdrawn due to Eric Perez being unwilling to sell his minority stake, so it looks like we're down to the 2 previously unknown bidders.

It said a minority shareholder, Perez wasn't named. Is he the only minority shareholder or are we jumping to conclusions?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

11 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

It was mentioned somewhere but can't remember where, possibly John Davidson, if I find it I'll post a link

It was Matthew Shaw in LE. It also says tht SL/Elstone don't want them back and want to run with 11 teams next season, with only a couple of clubs disagreeing. That would probably scupper any takeover.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

9 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

It was Matthew Shaw in LE. It also says tht SL/Elstone don't want them back and want to run with 11 teams next season, with only a couple of clubs disagreeing. That would probably scupper any takeover.

That was it, cheers. Saints and Leeds were the only hold outs.

I think it's just as likely any potential buyers saw the terms Argyle had to put up with, realized SL would demand the same of them, and ran away.

Just now, TIWIT said:

I think it's just as likely any potential buyers saw the terms Argyle had to put up with, realized SL would demand the same of them, and ran away.

Argyle has put in well in excess of £10m if reports are to be believed, central funding up to now they'd have gotten less than £3m back. Even with the funding the problems would exist. The central funding wouldn't even cover SBW's wages, it's time to stop using that as an excuse for Argyles failure to put competent administrators in charge of spending his money.

Archived