The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Toronto players, ‘current’ and ex, have taken to social media to let people know it’s the third straight month without any remuneration. What a shambles this has been. 

again

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

Argyles representative stated he will sever all ties and write off his personal loans.

Yet he doesn’t have the money to pay wages.

I fear those lads may have to kiss their wages goodbye for all the big talk

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

And so.... the rugby fans of Toronto are sh at upon.....

This is a huge mess. I was never confident it would turn out well.

Glad I went and enjoyed the weekend watching my club play in Canada. SL fans have missed out here.

Toronto rugby fans will turn their attention to the Arrows now. RL blows up their beachhead in North America and just hands it over to RU. The shortsighted stupidity of RL and flat-out greed of SL owners boggles the mind... 

I would far sooner watch RL than RU, but if that's the only rugby I'm going to get that's what I'll take.

What is the current holdup?

What if Toronto find a buyer who is only interested if they stay in super league and super league come out a week later saying they'll stay at 11. We're back to square one again and still no closer to a resolution. 

if the team is bought and survives I think theyd be better off going back to Championship than continuing in SL with a significant points deduction. They'd likely be relegated at close of 2021 whereas if they regroup and renew the squad they could then perhaps negotiate a fairer deal with SL. Gives the RL time to design an expansion strategy that works for all the existing and proposed teams.

7 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Toronto players, ‘current’ and ex, have taken to social media to let people know it’s the third straight month without any remuneration. What a shambles this has been. 

If they're not being paid then the club is in breach of contract and yet they still have to okay loaning Gareth O'Brien. How's that work?

Ricky Wilby was never going to buy TWP, he just hasn't got the money. The idea was almost as ludicrous as his ongoing fantasy about New York.

Out of nowhere we were presented with a chance to make a mark in Canada, but a long list of mistakes - from Argyle, the people he employed, the RFL and SL - have screwed that up. I cant see anyone buying the club without a firm decision regarding next season in place beforehand.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Saw a tweet from Luisick, no money stranded in UK and about to be evicted as he is unable to work because of the visa issues.

Whatever the right or wrongs these players should receive help to return home. The new buyers of the club should refund the money.

The morality of leaving folks stranded and up sh it creek leaves a very nasty taste in the mouth.

whilst I feel for Toronto fans and the loss of potential growth,  the game is better without the likes of argyle. 

I am of course making a very broad assumption that Argyle is not stranded  without means of supporting himself or has been evicted from his home.

12 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

The morality of leaving folks stranded and up sh it creek leaves a very nasty taste in the mouth.

whilst I feel for Toronto fans and the loss of potential growth,  the game is better without the likes of argyle. 

I am of course making a very broad assumption that he is not stranded  without means of supporting himself or has been evicted from his home.

Technically stranded in UK. No visa so I can’t work, no help getting home to Australia as promised. About to be evicted from my house. A lot of people have it a lot worse then me but this situation has gone too far now.
7:28 PM · Aug 10, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

hope that helps robin

10 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Toronto rugby fans will turn their attention to the Arrows now. RL blows up their beachhead in North America and just hands it over to RU. The shortsighted stupidity of RL and flat-out greed of SL owners boggles the mind... 

I would far sooner watch RL than RU, but if that's the only rugby I'm going to get that's what I'll take.

Yes, it's entirely the fault of everyone except the Toronto management...

2 hours ago, Red Willow said:

Saw a tweet from Luisick, no money stranded in UK and about to be evicted as he is unable to work because of the visa issues.

Whatever the right or wrongs these players should receive help to return home. The new buyers of the club should refund the money.

Some of the people who've replied to this on Twitter are bitter little people who'd be first whining if they had a similar thing happen to them, if only they had the talent and skills rather than just being bitter little people.

The sport invited them in, it's our mess, we have to fix it, even if it's to simply make sure it doesn't get worse.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

Some of the people who've replied to this on Twitter are bitter little people who'd be first whining if they had a similar thing happen to them, if only they had the talent and skills rather than just being bitter little people.

The sport invited them in, it's our mess, we have to fix it, even if it's to simply make sure it doesn't get worse.

The welfare of players is paramount, I can only assume any savings have been spent on living costs for the last 3 months with no wages. Time and time again we are told there is a live cap monitoring, how can those in charge not be aware of the situation?

There is an issue with non UK clubs going bust as players have no redress from the government pot.

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

I am of course making a very broad assumption that Argyle is not stranded  without means of supporting himself or has been evicted from his home.

A lot of people are going to have been burnt very badly by this in many different - and the game of rugby league itself will be damaged.

But we all know that the real villains just dust themselves down and walk away.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, ckn said:

Did we invite them? Or was it just Perez’s idea, he sold The RFL a dream and they said “yeah” without any sort of strategy or plan to their inclusion. 

Though, that doesn’t matter right now. It’s the helping of those in bother, like Lussick that matters. The inquest can happen later. 

6 minutes ago, ckn said:

Other sports do, whether that's player's unions or association. Not always perfectly but there's far more player support available, including payment of missed wages.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Did we invite them? Or was it just Perez’s idea, he sold The RFL a dream and they said “yeah” without any sort of strategy or plan to their inclusion. 

Though, that doesn’t matter right now. It’s the helping of those in bother, like Lussick that matters. The inquest can happen later. 

Yes, Yes & Yes. 

It was Perez's Idea, the RFL did invite them, and yes as a brotherhood we have a responsibility to help them out. Although that has never shown any backbone previously, Kent Invicta, Scarborough Pirates, Mansfield Marksmen, Gloucester All Golds, Hemel Hempstead, Blackpool Borough, Huyton. et al

8 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

They didn’t get in without an invite approved by the key stakeholders. We can’t pretend that didn’t happen or with 20/20 hindsight complain that we didn’t insist on indemnities first. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

21 minutes ago, ckn said:

They didn’t get in without an invite approved by the key stakeholders. We can’t pretend that didn’t happen or that we didn’t insist on indemnities first. 

Acceptance of an application is very different from an invitation though?

That said, if players produce an eviction notice from employer provided housing to the RFL, the RFL should put them up. Furthermore if TWP overseas players living in the UK request a flight home, the RFL should pay. This sport was founded to pay working class players, to that end, if an owner fails to uphold principles on which the code was built then the RFL must step in to safeguard players basic welfare. 

Archived