The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

Just now, Themusician_2 said:

The reputation is already damaged

It's not really though is it? 

A team based in Toronto not finishing the season in the current climate isn't a massive surprise - the Olympics have been cancelled! F1 are just making a season up as they go along, staging multiple races in the same country.

Life is different right now, it's not great but everyone is in survival mode, people understand if they want to.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's not really though is it? 

A team based in Toronto not finishing the season in the current climate isn't a massive surprise - the Olympics have been cancelled! F1 are just making a season up as they go along, staging multiple races in the same country.

Life is different right now, it's not great but everyone is in survival mode, people understand if they want to.

They couldn’t finish the season cause they don’t have money. Not cause of covid. 

22 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

They couldn’t finish the season cause they don’t have money. Not cause of covid. 

It is Mr Argyle who has no access to his money, it is Mr Argyle who is quite literally Mr TWP that has been lauded on these pages for long enough, if the well has temporarily run dry the club cannot be supported.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It is Mr Argyle who has no access to his money, it is Mr Argyle who is quite literally Mr TWP that has been lauded on these pages for long enough, of the well has temporarily run dry the club cannot be supported.

And Argyle is in financial difficulty because of Covid. TWP have limited income streams because of Covid.

I've made my feelings known on the poor decisions I think Argyle has made in running the club, but it is just plain wrong for people to suggest this is not to do with Covid.

Mr McManus is seemingly giving into Mr Argyle's funding request, but there was also another consideration that Mr Argyle demanded being that visiting clubs payed their own travel and subsistance costs, Mr McManus has far as I know has not agreed to that proposal, will the less wealthy SL clubs agree?

If by any chance TWP are resurrected in the Championship, I can not see a snowball in hells chance that the clubs will or can pay their own costs. 

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Hmm. And they aren't linked in the slightest are they?

Nope because there is a long trail of them not paying creditors and paying people late. I think the SBW signing had more of a financial hit on the than covid. Don’t spend money you clearly don’t have.

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

And Argyle is in financial difficulty because of Covid. TWP have limited income streams because of Covid.

I've made my feelings known on the poor decisions I think Argyle has made in running the club, but it is just plain wrong for people to suggest this is not to do with Covid.

Sorry lad if that were the case then they would’ve payed their creditors you know they being sued by a broadcast company in Canada for unpaid bills? This franchise has been short on money and poorly run pre-covid.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Off course it is to do with covid, there are thousands suffering from the same effects of being short of funds, Tesco's or the local pub will still want paying won't they though.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Off course it is to do with covid, there are thousands suffering from the same effects of being short of funds, Tesco's or the local pub will still want paying won't they though.

COVID won't have helped but I get the impression the Toronto wolf was quite close to the door before COVID.

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Cool, we agree. Found it strange that you liked a post saying this was nothing to do with Covid.

21 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

Sorry lad if that were the case then they would’ve payed their creditors you know they being sued by a broadcast company in Canada for unpaid bills? This franchise has been short on money and poorly run pre-covid.

I put that more to an owner who puts little value on paying the little people on time. 

They have had plenty of examples of this, but have been investing and surviving. 

Being an a-hole with suppliers is not necessarily and indication of lack of funding. It is often an indication of the leader's morals.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I put that more to an owner who puts little value on paying the little people on time. 

They have had plenty of examples of this, but have been investing and surviving. 

Being an a-hole with suppliers is not necessarily and indication of lack of funding. It is often an indication of the leader's morals.

I dread to think how many owners/ex owners of clubs there have been that did the exact same thing as Perez is doing, I know for a fact the local clubs in Cumbria have done it over the years, even basically killing the club and starting back up to avoid paying their debts

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Mmm, I think that the other poster was implying that pre Covid there were signs of financial difficulties eminating in Toronto, that was the way I read it anyway.

It's a little like saying the Championships are not being played because the clubs can't afford to.

That may be true, but the reason they can't afford to is because of Covid.

The reason TWP have run out of funding is because of Covid.

Just now, dkw said:

I dread to think how many owners/ex owners of clubs there have been that did the exact same thing as Perez is doing, I know for a fact the local clubs in Cumbria have done it over the years, even basically killing the club and starting back up to avoid paying their debts

Yes, I didn't want to go down that route, and I don't think it is helpful to the cause as the main reason for a history of this is because these clubs have been skint. 

This is a different situation, where an apparently rich club are not paying suppliers on time.

3 minutes ago, dkw said:

Perez?

That apart, making a conscious decision in whatever buisness an owner decides to kill their buisness to avoid paying their debts is the most unscrupulous way out to start up again, all they are doing is robbing someone else, they should be exiled from ever having or connection with a buisness ever again, or made to pay back those they owe to from any 'newco' proffits till all debts are settled.

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes, I didn't want to go down that route, and I don't think it is helpful to the cause as the main reason for a history of this is because these clubs have been skint. 

This is a different situation, where an apparently rich club are not paying suppliers on time.

Not necessarily true on the differences unfortunately, sometimes its has been a decision made when they could easily have paid out. 

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Perez?

That apart, making a conscious decision in whatever buisness an owner decides to kill their buisness to avoid paying their debts is the most unscrupulous way out to start up again, all they are doing is robbing someone else, they should be exiled from ever having or connection with a buisness ever again, or made to pay back those they owe to from any 'newco' proffits till all debts are settled.

I fully agree, but unfortunately it has happened, and will continue to. 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Off course it is to do with covid, there are thousands suffering from the same effects of being short of funds, Tesco's or the local pub will still want paying won't theefoy though.

So what was the excuse for not paying suppliers before March 2020? That can't be put down to Cover-19. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

It's a little like saying the Championships are not being played because the clubs can't afford to.

That may be true, but the reason they can't afford to is because of Covid.

The reason TWP have run out of funding is because of Covid.

Championship clubs can't afford to play in an empty stadium. Pretty simple.

TWP faced the same problem times two. Couldn't play in an empty stadium in Toronto AND would have to pay all the costs of the visiting team. And if they played in England they'd have had to rent a stadium - and still no paying customers. 

Definitely Covid related.

The Toronto Raptors currently play in Orlando. Toronto FC also played in Orlando but their schedule is up in the air. Toronto Blue Jays play home games in Buffalo. No crowds at any of these games but it brings in TV money that TWP didn't get.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Mr McManus is seemingly giving into Mr Argyle's funding request, but there was also another consideration that Mr Argyle demanded being that visiting clubs payed their own travel and subsistance costs, Mr McManus has far as I know has not agreed to that proposal, will the less wealthy SL clubs agree?

If by any chance TWP are resurrected in the Championship, I can not see a snowball in hells chance that the clubs will or can pay their own costs. 

Have you read the article Harry, or are you just adding your imaginary conversations with McManus to it?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived