The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

9 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbf the only people who should need to know that are the RFL/Super League. I don't think Joe Public needs to know as a necessity but we're seeing more and more owners be more public now.

A very fair point, except we all seem to have lost trust in the RFL to do their jobs properly. 

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Dave T said:

If a club is worrying about not getting central funding, they wouldn't go and spend the biggest SL playing budget EVER on a rather mediocre squad. So that claim doesn't stack up.

But this is about looking forward, and I think it would be foolish to start routing £1.8m per a year from the UK broadcasting deal to Canada without a probation period. Alternatively a bond can achieve a similar thing. 

And if they were anticipating getting their fair share of central funding which was denied at the last minute?

6 hours ago, TIWIT said:

And if they were anticipating getting their fair share of central funding which was denied at the last minute?

It'd be incredible incompetence. They knew they didn't have a participation agreement with SLE. 

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

It'd be incredible incompetence. They knew they didn't have a participation agreement with SLE. 

IIRC, TWP's participation in SL was guaranteed only hours before last year's MPG and presented as a 'take it or leave it' proposition. A contract signed under duress is of questionable validity at best. 

SL can hardly take the high road here.

2 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

IIRC, TWP's participation in SL was guaranteed only hours before last year's MPG and presented as a 'take it or leave it' proposition. A contract signed under duress is of questionable validity at best. 

SL can hardly take the high road here.

It all depends who you want to believe. According to SL sources, TWP were not forthcoming with the info required, and this led to delays.

Based on Argyle's behaviour this year (and the alarm bells prior to that), it becomes much easier to believe that really.

But irrespective of any of that stuff, it is time to look forward, Argyle is out, hopefully the new backer has a different approach and Hunter stays on and they get the chance to complete at least one SL season and show what they have to offer. 

37 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Have Leeds received any punishment for refusing to travel to France to play Catalans before the league closed down?

Start a new thread to ask questions about a Leeds v Catalans game mate. It isn't relevant to the TWP thread. 

14 hours ago, Dave T said:

Start a new thread to ask questions about a Leeds v Catalans game mate. It isn't relevant to the TWP thread. 

Seeing as the debate is discussing how to punish Toronto for pulling out and failing to fulfill fixtures I assumed - quite wrongly in your view - that it would be relevant to ask how another team that failed to fulfill a fixture Should be punished.

But seeing how you have made 30,689 posts I consider myself suitably chastised.  Mate!

1 hour ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Seeing as the debate is discussing how to punish Toronto for pulling out and failing to fulfill fixtures I assumed - quite wrongly in your view - that it would be relevant to ask how another team that failed to fulfill a fixture Should be punished.

But seeing how you have made 30,689 posts I consider myself suitably chastised.  Mate!

It's a relevant question.

11 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

It's a relevant question.

It's BS and you know it. Not travelling abroad for a game due to health fears as the world is about to lockdown due to a deadly pandemic is nothing like what TWP has done. 

TWP are in Rochdale, and have pulled out of the league due to not having money, and they have stopped paying players. Totally different. It is odd to even mention these things in the same thread as though there is precedent. But quic scramble to find any defence to try and normalise what TWP have done. 

This isn't about failing to fulfil fixtures, many are not doing that at the moment, TWP have stopped being a thing, brought the game into disrepute and stopped paying people. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

It's BS and you know it. Not travelling abroad for a game due to health fears as the world is about to lockdown due to a deadly pandemic is nothing like what TWP has done. 

TWP are in Rochdale, and have pulled out of the league due to not having money, and they have stopped paying players. Totally different. It is odd to even mention these things in the same thread as though there is precedent. But quic scramble to find any defence to try and normalise what TWP have done. 

This isn't about failing to fulfil fixtures, many are not doing that at the moment, TWP have stopped being a thing, brought the game into disrepute and stopped paying people. 

If it hadn't have been for Covic and unable able to play games in Canada (with money coming in)Argyle may have kept going.You guys are too hard on them,but then Leigh have eyes on SL.They have been there twice and could not hack it and the same will happen again should they make it.

2 minutes ago, frank said:

If it hadn't have been for Covic and unable able to play games in Canada (with money coming in)Argyle may have kept going.You guys are too hard on them,but then Leigh have eyes on SL.They have been there twice and could not hack it and the same will happen again should they make it.

There is precedent for clubs pulling out of international leagues, see RU's Pro14. They didn't behave like TWP. 

I have no idea what this has to do with Leigh, you guys are obsessed. 

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

There is precedent for clubs pulling out of international leagues, see RU's Pro14. They didn't behave like TWP. 

I have no idea what this has to do with Leigh, you guys are obsessed. 

Why don’t you start a new thread in The Cross Code (Rugby) Forum to discuss how the Cheetahs and Southern Kings pulled out of a Rugby Union competition?  It isn’t relevant to Toronto.

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Its a relevant question to ask if clubs are sanctioned equally.

35 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

Nobody has ever done what TWP have done in SL. So what has Leeds v Catalans to do with clubs being sanctioned equally? 

Why don’t you start a new thread in The Cross Code (Rugby) Forum to discuss how the Cheetahs and Southern Kings pulled out of a Rugby Union competition?  It isn’t relevant to Toronto.

If you want to try and find precedent, you could have done much better than something like the Leeds v Cats game. 

1 hour ago, Ackroman said:

No it isn’t. The Leeds game was a postponement until a later date, at no time did they ever say they wouldn’t fulfill the fixture.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Couple of things to think about:

1.  TWP players getting paid.  Real bad look for the League if new ownership emerges, is willing to pay the players and the league skewers them and by doing so, screws over the players.  Especially, considering the League didn't exactly look after them in the first place.

2.  High profile players returning to TWP, aka SBW.  League benefitted from this.  You can make arguments about whether SBW is past it (I would agree with you) but he is a name and improves the profile of Super League.  Sky and SL put him front and centre of every billboard and advert they had.

This was SL main advert on all their social media the week Toronto pulled out:

spacer.png

Putting them in the Championship seems the most sensible option. Their crowds and enthusiasm was good there. The argument that Canadian crowds only cares about the echelon of a sport's leagues didn't affect them last year. They could build a decent sustainable model with good crowds for a bit. Develop local rivalries and start an Academy. 

I also believe it has to be last out last back in. That would mean giving Broncos early notice of their re-entry into SL as soon as possible so we can hit the transfer market

5 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

I just got to wondering... Would Argyle have pulled the plug if TWP had been 6-0? Or 4-2? Or .500 Even?

Interesting question. I believe Argyle's realisation that Vickers, Noble et al built an overpaid, dud roster - and that signing Sonny Bill Williams wasn't some sort of passport to the play-offs - might well have been a contribution to his dumping manoeuvre. 

Archived