The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Chubby Brown?

League of Gentlemen - who used Chubby’s name as the name of the village their jokes were set in.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sounds like the film "12 Angry Men" where one ventures to persuade all the doubters the error of their ways.

Making it look like a unified decision is not the correct way to conduct the buisness though, if a club says no then that should be made public at least if it goes pear shaped again they can be excused of any blame.

Where power and influence is concerned politics usually wins over right or wrong.

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Well why shouldn't they be happy to play their whole career's in the Championship ? 

Because most players want to play to the highest standard possible.

The highest standard is not the second division.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

There is probably nothing the 4 clubs object to that can't be fixed by TWP giving them some more money. They clearly see TWP as the same cash cow they were before the collapse, a situation that cannot continue if TWP are to become/remain viable.

4 hours ago, PhilCarrington said:

I think that's the big concern for many - that TWP won't stay long. We need clubs to be in for the long-term.

That would be TWP then...we are not going anywhere except up...sure we have suffered some setbacks but we will never give up...we will never surrender!

"Run With the Pack!"

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

As do most clubs , their owners and fans 

Is that what you were working towards? God, I thought it would be something better than that.

Anyway, yes, you’re absolutely right. However, as is true for most players, so most clubs need to accept the reality that they will never, ever, play the Dane.

No matter the system.

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Because most players want to play to the highest standard possible.

The highest standard is not the second division.

And there are probably many part-time players there who would love to go full-time, if only SL paid better. Do that and your recruitment problems are solved.

6 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

That would be TWP then...we are not going anywhere except up...sure we have suffered some setbacks but we will never give up...we will never surrender!

"Run With the Pack!"

To be fair.... you were saying this last year. In SL twp were 0/5 with a crumbling squad,  visa issues and payroll collapse.... then covid.

If that's on the up.... the game really is on its rse  😁😄

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Is that what you were working towards? God, I thought it would be something better than that.

Anyway, yes, you’re absolutely right. However, as is true for most players, so most clubs need to accept the reality that they will never, ever, play the Dane.

No matter the system.

Indeed , just as every season only one club will be the best , and in RL that is usually one of 3 teams , so why do the others even bother ?

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

If it ever came that your Intercontinental Big City League came to fruition and has you say would utilise player's presently employed at existing clubs something would have to give, first it would be fan's complaining by walking away, which would have a knock on effect in all other aspects and levels of the sport not least being the community game,  amatuer clubs would close and those who coach the game will be far fewer.

That is a very concise reasoning, I could put a lot of meat on those bones, but I have said it all in the past in great detail, I don't see the point in repeating it all once more, and especially as I consider if will never happen, do you honestly think that those guy's who spend both financially and through the time they give up at their club's not as a buisness venture but through intrinsic values will voluntarily hand it over to other entities, not a snowball in hells chance.

So let's see if I have this right.  You think that if those traditional clubs stay in the same league as always with P & R operating just as it always has, playing the same opponents as always but with different players because their best players have moved on to another league with more money, their fans will walk away from them?  Are they doing that now because a number have moved on to RU or the NRL, or are they still supporting their club?  Are you suggesting that those fans don't want to see players come back from RU and/or the NRL?

I wouldn't ever ask anyone to hand anything over, I never suggested anything of the kind.  On the contrary I'd leave them all where they are now so they could keep playing on the same basis as always and give their supporters the same experience as always.  If their players move on when their contracts expire and they become free agents, that's no different from what happens now.

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

To be fair.... you were saying this last year. In SL twp were 0/5 with a crumbling squad,  visa issues and payroll collapse.... then covid.

If that's on the up.... the game really is on its rse  😁😄

And we are still here...still fighting...still trying...we simply won't ever give up....that is what you have to understand...we are here to stay....(One way or another).

There now seems to be a daily flow of positive Toronto stories appearing around the web. We've heard various people comment on how they think/assume/know Toronto are already confirmed as competing next year, but now feels like its a bit of a PR strategy to feed positive stories to try and build up some gradual support for their re-entry.

We have a Q+A on the forum with the prospective new owner, Mal Meninga is coming out batting for Toronto also, along with others.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I’ve read the interview with Gareth Walker and the prospective owner. There’s some good bits in there, then there’s also more of the same in respect to these “threats” to other sides and being aggressive and theres still plenty of questions to ask around him and his proposal, especially around the Grooming brand. 

18 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’ve read the interview with Gareth Walker and the prospective owner. There’s some good bits in there, then there’s also more of the same in respect to these “threats” to other sides and being aggressive and theres still plenty of questions to ask around him and his proposal, especially around the Grooming brand. 

Just been reading the interview he gave sounds like he wants to buy TW to promo his new brand of wolf grooming products and he also says he's only intetested in SL so what if there relegated next season to the championship will he loose interest and walk away  

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Non starter

Well guess that ends that then. End of thread. Move along folks, GUBRATS has spoken, nothing to see here anymore.

And for those still with us, it's a good solid interview with an experienced business/salesman who seems to know what he's doing and has a good plan on how to get there.

His relationship with Argyle seems pretty sour though. Money appears to have got in the way of their friendship.

26 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Well guess that ends that then. End of thread. Move along folks, GUBRATS has spoken, nothing to see here anymore.

To give credit where it's due, he is a former director of a pro club so he likely knows a thing or two about the other club owners' perspective on this.

The new guy talks a good game, hopefully he can back it up in ways Argyle couldn't. That being said, the comments regarding 'SL or bust' are pretty concerning. Regardless of the money they throw around they will be able to recruit little more than a squad that will end up sneak survival at best.

Archived