The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

The new guy talks a good game, hopefully he can back it up in ways Argyle couldn't. That being said, the comments regarding 'SL or bust' are pretty concerning. Regardless of the money they throw around they will be able to recruit little more than a squad that will end up sneak survival at best.

Did you seriously expect anything else though?  The club is only viable if it's in SL and getting a full SL share of the central distribution and that's just the way it is.

7 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

What do you mean?

So the guy says: “I own a brand that I believe will help monetise the league and the team. It's called Wolf Grooming, we're going to launch next year in the UK and this brand itself will help catapult it into a marketing machine.”

If that’s the business case, alarm bells should be ringing. I’d be asking:

1. How much does the average British RL fan spend on grooming products?

2. Why would the average RL fan buy Wolfpack grooming products when they could buy the same stuff with a different label for a couple of quid in a supermarket?

3. How would they expect cut-through to non-RL fans given what we know about the British sporting landscape?

4. On a scale of ‘minute quantity’ to ‘b*gger all’, how much of that Wolfpack CBD oil stuff was sold in the UK?

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

You make the Championship sound like Royston Vasey.

That’s the most accurate description of most towns in the Championship I’ve heard for a while to be honest 😃

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

9 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

So the guy says: “I own a brand that I believe will help monetise the league and the team. It's called Wolf Grooming, we're going to launch next year in the UK and this brand itself will help catapult it into a marketing machine.”

2. Why would the average RL fan buy Wolfpack grooming products when they could buy the same stuff with a different label for a couple of quid in a supermarket?

3. How would they expect cut-through to non-RL fans given what we know about the British sporting landscape?

4. On a scale of ‘minute quantity’ to ‘b*gger all’, how much of that Wolfpack CBD oil stuff was sold in the UK?

My fears after reading the article are similar - I want Toronto to succeed, but the new bloke sounds even more delusional than the last one... if this is his big strategic plan and the business model he’s banking on, they’re absolutely b*gg*r*d...

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

3 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

My fears after reading the article are similar - I want Toronto to succeed, but the new bloke sounds even more delusional than the last one... if this is his big strategic plan and the business model he’s banking on, they’re absolutely b*gg*r*d...

Yep. There’s a lot of w*nk fantasy stuff. Champs within five years, the grooming product “marketing machine”.

Doesn’t sound like the guy has much of a clue about what he’s dealing with, to be honest. 

21 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

My wife would buy me the whole line...I love the concept with 'wolf' spelled backwards to 'flow' for the gals.  

You gotta understand something...this is what you have to understand...in the UK I don't think you understand that THIS GUY DOES BUSINESS WITH WALMART!   Now that is potential market share of unlimited proportions over here in NA anyway...this could go very BIG and bring SL along.

I say let TWP back in.

21 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

People probably thought the same about Harry’s before they entered the market and look at them now. 

Ultimately it depends on how fundamental Wolf Grooming is in relation to his ownership of the Wolfpack and where his priorities lie. 

In relation to CBD, that market has huge potential. I personally know of pharmas in the UK heavily investing in this 

17 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Once SL comes to their senses and lets us back in....WE WANT WIGAN!

4 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

My wife would buy me the whole line...I love the concept with 'wolf' spelled backwards to 'flow' for the gals.  

You gotta understand something...this is what you have to understand...in the UK I don't think you understand that THIS GUY DOES BUSINESS WITH WALMART!   Now that is potential market share of unlimited proportions over here in NA anyway...this could go very BIG and bring SL along.

I say let TWP back in.

Sorry but I value the opinion of my daughter’s hamster above yours on these matters. I like your fishing tales though 🙂

5 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

People probably thought the same about Harry’s before they entered the market and look at them now. 

Ultimately it depends on how fundamental Wolf Grooming is in relation to his ownership of the Wolfpack and where his priorities lie. 

In relation to CBD, that market has huge potential. I personally know of pharmas in the UK heavily investing in this 

Hear what you say on CBD but would you expect specifically a Wolfpack brand to be lucrative in the UK? Me neither.

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Sorry but I value the opinion of my daughter’s hamster above yours on these matters. I like your fishing tales though 🙂

This is clearly a failure of yours to comprehend the various complexities and variables of Wolfpack developments;  all swirling around you at a pace so bizarre you have lost all focus.

But I forgive you.

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Hear what you say on CBD but would you expect specifically a Wolfpack brand to be lucrative in the UK? Me neither.

Taking a simplistic view of it, there’s no reason in itself why it would or wouldn’t. However if the Wolfpack provides a vehicle and route to market, then clearly that is of benefit

Just hope the WP is allowed into SL again.Despite the naysayers  on here there is nothing to be lost by doing so.They offer more to the league than any of the stronger clubs in the Championship,maybe apart from Toulouse.

The guy who intends taking over the WP will be laying out  a few million to get things sorted.In doing so he obviously is intending being there for the long haul.

With all his business connections and how SL could benefit  from those ,they would be making a big mistake by knocking them back.Sl is on its knees so nothing to lose.

Just to qualify things, I believe LiVolsi will only take charge of TWP if they are readmitted back into SL for 2021. If at the end of that season they are relegated so be it. They'll just regroup and come back stronger. IMHO of course.

25 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Gubrats you are going to look and feel fantastic with your new Wolf moisturisng  and free styling products liberally applied.

Just think Gubs...you could buy the whole line and give it to Harry for XMas!

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Did you seriously expect anything else though?  The club is only viable if it's in SL and getting a full SL share of the central distribution and that's just the way it is.

I've never understood how certain people on this forum could think TWP would be able to play in the Championship against part time clubs and be a viable commercial entity?  I don't know what dream world they live in?

As for what Carlo said, that was a great interview and he def instills a lot of confidence in me as a potential owner. 

2 hours ago, TIWIT said:

And for those still with us, it's a good solid interview with an experienced business/salesman who seems to know what he's doing and has a good plan on how to get there.

His relationship with Argyle seems pretty sour though. Money appears to have got in the way of their friendship.

I genuinely believe Argyle loved Rugby and was in this for a hobby.  I also believe he is suffering from serious financial difficulties and has been devastated by the COVID pandemic.  His restaurant downtown is permanently closed.

7 minutes ago, SL17 said:

It’s called learning. Having a £1M squad in L1 shows only one thing. Having the best in SL showed another.

They didn’t learn.

Thanks for the peanut gallery commentary. Value added.

I gotta say, although we often disagree, at least @Man of Kentand @Harry Stottle present an argument in a coherent manner.  

Yourself on the other hand 🤣

57 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Just think Gubs...you could buy the whole line and give it to Harry for XMas!

You just gave me a belly laugh, you get a lot of chuckles on these forums but it s good also to read something that really makes you laugh. Hey and I want to say one thing to you K`man, don`t bloody end up with a garage full of this stuff,  like your TWP gear, old man giving young man advice on spending money...boring.😉

Archived