The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I’m not the one pretending to care about whole game solutions but really only moping about what plays best for one club in one small town.

We were discussing the profile of NA sports in the UK , as it was brought up in the discussion , why would anybody decide to introduce Leigh ?

4 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Rovrum isn't a typical pan uk example....

But I see loads of kids in NFL merchandise. Other than the blue Jays or leafs stuff I brought back from Toronto for our lot i can't recall any baseball or nhl stuff being flashed around rosehill park in a way NFL stuff is.

Seemingly RL might as well be played on Mars for all the relevance it has to folks round here. 

Yes Robin they might be wearing old excess stock of NFL merchandise , but do they watch the games , or is it just ' fashion '  ?

2 hours ago, TIWIT said:

5 pages of Monty Python-esque humour: people arguing for the sake of argument without having a clue what they're talking about.

The NFL is simply the largest, richest, most successful sports league in the world. It's like a national holiday in the States this weekend as they start playing, inaugurating 2 brand new multi BILLION $ stadiums. And the other 4 major sports are all in full swing, but the NFL dwarfs them all.

Once more the ignorance of the British sports fan regarding North American sports is exposed. LOL.

In the US yes , but not over here , they've been trying to build it over here for 40 years , the sum total after all that time and all that money is 3/4 on the road games , so is that a succsses ?

48 minutes ago, John WP Fan said:

Please let me know when this thread returns to topics related to the Toronto Wolfpack. The NFL stuff does not interest me at all, and should have been split off into its own thread for those who wanted to discuss it.

Or it shouldn't have been brought up in the first place 

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

The British sports fan is far more aware of the major US sports leagues than the NA sports fan is of SL.

That is true.

But an awful lot of British sports fans are either unaware of SL or don't care about it, and that's the problem.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

The Championship is a very vibrant competition, but struggles immensely with identity. 

Not really it's the second tier , which is replicated in loads of UK sports 

What other ' Identity ' does it need ?

10 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

In the US yes , but not over here , they've been trying to build it over here for 40 years , the sum total after all that time and all that money is 3/4 on the road games , so is that a succsses ?

You tell me. Are the NFL games in London 'events'? How much media attention do they receive? Are the tickets sold at a premium? Is there a lot of gambling activity on the games?

Hasn't Tottenham Hotspur signed a deal to host more games apart from the Wembley ones?

2 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

You tell me. Are the NFL games in London 'events'? How much media attention do they receive? Are the tickets sold at a premium? Is there a lot of gambling activity on the games?

Hasn't Tottenham Hotspur signed a deal to host more games apart from the Wembley ones?

No idea , I have virtually no interest in it until the play offs 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

No idea , I have virtually no interest in it until the play offs 

Then why are you posting about it? It's just arguing for the sake of arguing, a la Monty Python.

Just now, TIWIT said:

Then why are you posting about it? It's just arguing for the sake of arguing, a la Monty Python.

Somebody made the point about NA sports having a significant negative affect on RL in the UK , I challenged that point , as I've pointed out , 40 years and millions and millions spent , result 3/4 on the road games 

and poor old Rugby League manages to establish 2 north american teams in 5 years with the possibility of a third and a myopic minority slam it as a failure and wishes it ill..shake your head...

2 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

and poor old Rugby League manages to establish 2 north american teams in 5 years with the possibility of a third and a myopic minority slam it as a failure and wishes it ill..shake your head...

I'd question the ' establish ' bit ? , But yes remove covid , and you could argue the point 

42 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I'd question the ' establish ' bit ? , But yes remove covid , and you could argue the point 

Well you certainly have. 

9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I'm watching supermarket sweep 😂

Just asking but is a live NFL game available on UK TV tonight? Right now I have a choice of 3 different games.

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Not really it's the second tier , which is replicated in loads of UK sports 

What other ' Identity ' does it need ?

What sort of second tier is it?

Like the football league Championship full of teams capable of playing in the division above? Is not anywhere near fully professional so thats a no.

As a development league like the NSW and QLD cups for example where places not in the top flight for sustainability reasons get relatively high standard of competition on their doorstep? Half the teams want to be in the league above so thats a no.

As a closed shop incubator competition to give proof of sustainability and concept before election to the top tier like various sporting competitions - Formula 2, arguably the NSW cup, L1 was supposed to be this as well? The RFL is far too much jobs for the boys for anyone to agree for this. Clubs like London and Toulouse in the same comp as Batley and Barrow, united visions there!

Even you yourself have said the Championship shouldn't be broadcast live because it would harm crowds. How could that also support a league with clubs wanting to transition to Super League realistically?

None of these sit comfortably with the RL Championship, hence struggling with identity.

Archived