The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Michael1812 said:

How anyone can watch the NFL is beyond my comprehension. It is wasn’t an American sport, would anyone outside the the native country care (AFL for example)?

with you on that, NFL cant hold a candle to League..we had some yanks up for a Wolfpack game and they were gobsmacked..couldn't believe the guys had to play offence and defence with no 10min gab sessions between bouts of mayhem

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Already claiming they are sponsors (via Josh McCrone’s begging letter https://www.torontowolfpack.com/josh-mccrone-open-letter-september-13/) Desperate stuff if that’s not actually a thing.

I hope you are preparing yourself mentally for the big announcement coming up.../I would never say "I told ya so" but.....

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Already claiming they are sponsors (via Josh McCrone’s begging letter https://www.torontowolfpack.com/josh-mccrone-open-letter-september-13/) Desperate stuff if that’s not actually a thing.

As captain he has some responsibility.He seems to know that unpaid wages will be paid to the players.

It seems professional preparation so the club is geared up to hit the ground running - should the decision be positive.

2021 isn't too far away.The club has some catching up to do...All during a pandemic.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Yeah, it's contrived, but Wolf Grooming have been sponsors of TWP since 2018 so there is no "claiming" about it. Gotta say, I think that the prospective owners are running a pretty slick PR campaign by traditional SL/RFL standards. The game could probably a thing or two from them in that regard at least.

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

I trust everyone here has read Josh McCrone's letter posted on the TWP website.

I liked his open letter, it struck the right tone. 

It is clear that they are all on message at the moment, distance yourself from Argyle by publicly slating him. 

I did find some comments about McDermott interesting the other day, he was described as honest and principled, and that is probably true, but his last message was very different to his messages from the last couple of years, which may suggest he has learnt from that, but more likely he just played the game and said what he was told to, which is less impressive. 

I do feel for TWP employees, and their voices should be heard, but what they say would be the same as players of any club looking for a lifeline. They are basically pleading for their job. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

It’s interesting how most of the players are sticking by the club. They really see the potential TWP has and how it can benefit RL

Now probably isn't the best time to find a new club to be honest. 

League Express is reporting the decision to accept Toronto will be made by 25 Sep (although we may find out their punishment this Friday). If they are accepted, LiVolsi will make a presentation to the SL clubs w/c 28 Sep. 

Also reports bids would be due for a replacement 12th SL club by 16 Oct, with a decision by the end of next month.

If SL opts for 11 clubs, there could be two promoted from the Champ in 2021 (one for the top club, with one via a MPG between 11th vs 2nd)

2 hours ago, TIWIT said:

I trust everyone here has read Josh McCrone's letter posted on the TWP website.

He went to Toronto for the money and he wants to stay there for the money.

I can't think of any reason why LiVolsi should be trusted and I hope he is told no thank you.

I'd be more than happy for them to be replaced by Toulouse where the whole thing is built on firmer foundations.

6 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

I'd be more than happy for them to be replaced by Toulouse where the whole thing is built on firmer foundations.

Sorry got carried away for a moment!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

Then we all agree to groom away. And can you stop talking about what the RFL/SL can take from it please. The sport has taken enough of TWP already thank you,

You're completely missing my point. I'm not saying the new TWP people are the best thing since sliced bread, I dont know them from Adam and they could be a bunch of complete con artists for all I know. It's just that they clearly know how to run a PR campaign. None of what the current TWP crew are doing is expensive, but they are putting themselves out there, applying subtle pressure in the right places and presenting a positive external image for the club. The SL/RFL have a very long history of underselling and shooting themselves in the foot and this is an opportunity to learn.

7 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Is it not wiser to give your presentation prior to acceptance. 

They'd have submitted paperwork etc.

I'm guessing the presentation would essentially be a discussion over whether Toronto still wants to proceed given the T&Cs and any sanctions Super League/RFL decide upon for their re-entry. 

19 hours ago, TIWIT said:

That is true.

But an awful lot of British sports fans are either unaware of SL or don't care about it, and that's the problem.

So very true, my job took me into offices all over the country and I was never slow in coming forward in wanting to spread the RL gospel,  would it surprise you how many could not distinguish or even didn't realise there were two forms of rugby!

But the most galling part was the total apathy and complete ignorance of lots and lots of people right in what we describe as the 'Heartlands'. 

19 hours ago, RobertAM said:

and poor old Rugby League manages to establish 2 north american teams in 5 years with the possibility of a third and a myopic minority slam it as a failure and wishes it ill..shake your head...

Hi Robert, look deeper than the headlines you state, albeit it looks to be so good on paper the underlying thing is it could, and I will say again could cause a lot of negative actions back in the UK. 

I have said for a few years when people are clamouring fir more NA clubs to be established, it is to early, let us look,  learn, digest and see what happens with Toronto what is good and what can be improoved on before jumping in feet first.

20 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes Robin they might be wearing old excess stock of NFL merchandise , but do they watch the games , or is it just ' fashion '  ?

Fashion is immensely powerful. Alongside sport its the new religion. Combining the two is a majorly powerful force.

3 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

It’s interesting how most of the players are sticking by the club. They really see the potential TWP has and how it can benefit RL

I suppose the players witnessed first hand the buzz that TWP generated in their short initial existence. Perez backed this up recently saying that he was impressed with the amount of TWP  gear he saw people wearing when he visited Toronto.

I hope the new owner this time capitalises on this enthusiasm to get into the schools with intro to League programs and in to the wider public setting up touch and tag comps to cement peoples interest. 

It would be great if the RFL helped them.

9 hours ago, SL17 said:

Then we all agree to groom away. And can you stop talking about what the RFL/SL can take from it please. The sport has taken enough of TWP already thank you,

BUT WE STILL HAVE ALOT MORE TO GIVE.

38 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So very true, my job took me into offices all over the country and I was never slow in coming forward in wanting to spread the RL gospel,  would it surprise you how many could not distinguish or even didn't realise there were two forms of rugby!

But the most galling part was the total apathy and complete ignorance of lots and lots of people right in what we describe as the 'Heartlands'. 

That is true Harry...I'm doing the same thing since TWP inception....it is our burden to spread the word.  I agree with you Harry...there is alot of ignorance out there about RL, especially TWP.  I'm glad to see we are in agreement.

Archived