The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

6 hours ago, yipyee said:

I am aware koukash who is a sucsessful buisnessman laughed at the proposal and said whats plan B and we should reject the first offer, 

The response was we dont negotiate we just accept.

We then lost an asset to the game.

I am amazed that it seems only failed businessmen have ended up owning RL clubs ? 🤔

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

At no point did I state anything about SL clubs refusing the SKY deal.  That was you as usual trying to be argumentative for the sake of it.

My point was the fact that we have 2 groups of clubs in SL. One group of clubs see SKY money as a way to keep themselves going so have little desire to try something different as it may not be beneficial to them whilst the other group have more financial muscle so may consider different approaches in an effort to be more attractive to investors and TV.

The latter view could increase TV revenue in the long term whilst the prior view IMHO about just seeing survival as a victory just retains the status quo and in the long term could lead to a further reduction in SKY money and leads to the scenario that you paint in your final paragraph.

But as I pointed out , with the potential to lose half of SL , then there is no SL , just out of interest how long would the NRL last without broadcasting income ?

12 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I can just vision the 11 SL club chairmen sat around a large circular table.  A rep from SKY enters the room and plonks the annual pot of TV distribution money in the middle of the table.  You have some SL Chairmen who look at the money and think ‘We could do better’ and you have some SL Chairmen who are positively slobbering thinking ‘This will keep the club going for one more year’.  

So if this isn't you suggesting club owners refusing the SKY deal , what is it ?

Bit of a social media campaign from the players at the moment about letting TWP in so they don't lose their job. Whilst I can't blame them as individuals, it is clearly orchestrated and in bad taste tbh. 

I agree with McManus now on this that the bid needs to be looked at with clear heads. That means taking the emotion out of it and ultimately reviewing the proposal. There is a chance that this proposal will cost the SL comp £2.3m more than the previous agreement if central funding and expenses are funded by SL. That is a big shift, and the proposed owner will need to show serious plans for the thumbs up. 

I think there could be a middle ground of no central funding but no travel expenses paid by TWP in year 1, to central funding minus travel expenses in year 2, with full funding in year 3. 

20 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Bit of a social media campaign from the players at the moment about letting TWP in so they don't lose their job. Whilst I can't blame them as individuals, it is clearly orchestrated and in bad taste tbh. 

I agree with McManus now on this that the bid needs to be looked at with clear heads. That means taking the emotion out of it and ultimately reviewing the proposal. There is a chance that this proposal will cost the SL comp £2.3m more than the previous agreement if central funding and expenses are funded by SL. That is a big shift, and the proposed owner will need to show serious plans for the thumbs up. 

I think there could be a middle ground of no central funding but no travel expenses paid by TWP in year 1, to central funding minus travel expenses in year 2, with full funding in year 3. 

I don't see your suggestion as totally ridiculous and if its where we end up I think it could be seen as a successful negotiation all round.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

That's all fine and dandy Dave 

Until they get relegated next year 🤔

42 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I have a feeling they'll get binned. 

Im not saying if its the right or wrong thing to do.  I'd need much more info to make that call.

if they're history I will feel for those in Canada who have enjoyed the game and are now going to be spoon fed union.

Toronto shouldn’t come back. I can’t see them ever working without being treated as equals and partners working together with the 11 other clubs to grow Super League and rightly so, some of the others clubs will not be in favour of that as with P/R, it is about survival. 

I am truly amazed it has taken this long for the whoever is in charge to make the decision. 

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

That's all fine and dandy Dave 

Until they get relegated next year 🤔

That's on them. If they then come back up they move into yr2 of the agreement and so on. 

More than ever they need to prove what they can do, but there should also be a plan and I think this suggestion shows some compromise and goodwill. 

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

That's on them. If they then come back up they move into yr2 of the agreement and so on. 

More than ever they need to prove what they can do, but there should also be a plan and I think this suggestion shows some compromise and goodwill. 

And the plan for relegation ?

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

think there could be a middle ground of no central funding but no travel expenses paid by TWP in year 1, to central funding minus travel expenses in year 2, with full funding in year 3. 

I think there is a deal to be struck somewhere but how does that prevent what happened this year - i.e. bailing out with unpaid bills - happening again?

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

I think there is a deal to be struck somewhere but how does that prevent what happened this year - i.e. bailing out with unpaid bills - happening again?

It doesn't. Of course you could use central funding as a bond, but ultimately it isn't on the governing body to pay private company bills. 

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It doesn't. Of course you could use central funding as a bond, but ultimately it isn't on the governing body to pay private company bills. 

I’d be happy with back in Super League + refundable bond repaid upon completed season with players & bills paid + travel costs (if there is any travel...) + no funding. I’d only want Toronto to receive funding if there are player development strings attached.

8 hours ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Here's how I see this playing out.......

1. SL vote to let TWP re join in 2021

2. TWP new owners pay the players and hopefully settle with other creditors they owe

3. We get lots of PR and Spin about how amazing TWP will be for the sport and they will sign some big names again.

4.  Come the start of SL 2021 TWP will be in the same position as they were in 2020........unable the play games and travel because there's still a global pandemic and they are over 3000 miles away with restrictions on pretty much everything they need to make it work.

5. TWP withdraw from SL again.

I really don't see how TWP works in the current COVID landscape and SL are making a decision in the next week or so.

If they let them in for 2021 will it be subject to COVID restrictions easing?  will TWP's new owners happily start shelling out money before knowing if they can even operate successfully again?

I guess they can operate as a nomadic side based in England called Toronto but uk sides won't be able to play games in Canada unless the current outlook changes dramatically.

Excellent post and it sums the problems of allowing them back in next year, its by the looks of things going to be more covid misery for at least a year or so, who knows perhaps longer..maybe shorter too but I have doubts about that, then we will just start the merry go round again and simply thats unacceptable for the sport.

Archived