The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

By that measure then, Toronto's community engagement is better than Wakefield's, Salford's, Huddersfield's, Castleford's and Hull KR's because they engage a higher average number of people every matchday. Of course I know thats rubbish but you can see this becomes a pointless willy measuring exercise where figures can be manipulated to suit very quickly. 

No, you would have to look at the total engagement on all those non-matchdays. This is exactly the point. SL clubs aren't just events management companies who stage 13 matchdays. 

But, as I said, happy to agree to disagree on this, particularly as I think we are having slightly different debates with each other! :kolobok_biggrin:

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Fair enough. I suppose the one major benefit of Toronto is that it has encouraged a genuine thought process about the whole game

I hope that is true, but I worry about Ottawa and things don't appear to be any different. 

But if nothing else, surely we will have time to work through strategies and new approach to the sport post-pandemic, because we will have to as this is showing no signs of really improving.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I hope that is true, but I worry about Ottawa and things don't appear to be any different. 

But if nothing else, surely we will have time to work through strategies and new approach to the sport post-pandemic, because we will have to as this is showing no signs of really improving.

It wouldn't be the first time these pages have offered more insight than the game's leadership!

Covid is obviously another huge elephant in the room now. Without wanting to take it too political I just read an article on the BBC that suggested there's a growing acceptance to "live with covid" in the same way we do with the flu from academics and professionals. My point is that attitudes seem to be growing in importance and the longer it goes on the less panicked people tend to be.

21 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Fair enough. I suppose the one major benefit of Toronto is that it has encouraged a genuine thought process about the whole game

I will agree with that, it says to me we are not ready to move to be a intercontinental sport just yet, we really need to build our sport over here to a position where we are much stronger in both financials and participation levels, give that a good dose of looking and invest to achieve results then and only then branch out.

Both scenarios of Expansion into NA and Development over here are gambles, but the latter I feel is more controllable.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

. They look more like a Canadian interpretation of an RL club rather than a British RL club trying to crack Canada.

Good truthful thinking.   I totally agree and 'therein lies the rub'[ as a wise man once said....some people simply can't understand this concept and then secondly accept it....too big of an ideal, too much, too soon for them.   This concept you have touched upon is part of the problem for them.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I will agree with that, it says to me we are not ready to move to be a intercontinental sport just yet, we really need to build our sport over here to a position where we are much stronger in both financials and participation levels, give that a good dose of looking and invest to achieve results then and only then branch out.

Both scenarios of Expansion into NA and Development over here are gambles, but the latter I feel is more controllable.

I get that to an extent Harry, though I feel the position of the sport here and the historical baggage it carries (including that of our own making) means that growth here in areas like Newcastle, Wales, the South West, London and and the Midlands are much more difficult. The way I see it is that increased domestic interest, both heartland and not, may have to paradoxically come from outside.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I get that to an extent Harry, though I feel the position of the sport here and the historical baggage it carries (including that of our own making) means that growth here in areas like Newcastle, Wales, the South West, London and and the Midlands are much more difficult. The way I see it is that increased domestic interest, both heartland and not, may have to paradoxically come from outside.

Tommy is on top of things today...his series of posts are above and beyond the average...good work Tommy!

P.S.  How did you get so on top of your game today Tommy?

3 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Tommy is on top of things today...his series of posts are above and beyond the average...good work Tommy!

P.S.  How did you get so on top of your game today Tommy?

I'm currently in the final week of my MA dissertation, I'm writing a lot 

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I'm currently in the final week of my MA dissertation, I'm writing a lot 

Good for you...I hope it goes well...see if you can get the 'full' meaning of my post (I've provided this sentence as a cue to help the Leigh folk out).

I'm currently in my third week of in person Covid teaching, I'm panicking a lot (for SL 17 please notice the extrapolation).

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I know you'll get criticised for an overtly positive mental attitude but its not ridiculous by any means. Northern Hemisphere RL is a relatively cheap investment in the sporting context. Its significantly cheaper to buy into than virtually every other top class televised professional sport. To the north American (and indeed any) investment audience we need to be shouting from the rooftops about the opportunity here. 

Indeed. Cable sports networks are desperate for programming, the cheaper the better.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I believe c£100k or so is granted if you have an Academy. And Sky Try money is granted for foundations to deliver grassroots stuff. 

And clubs have to have a number of UK players and there are incentives on the cap for homegrown players. 

So there are a number of incentives which drive player development, they maybe need a rethink in how they are positioned to make them fit for purpose in a more international league. 

Ive had a good hunt around and cant find anything about this. Do you have a link to it?

3 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Indeed. Cable sports networks are desperate for programming, the cheaper the better.

Indeed, with Toronto its a shame they couldn't play their loop fixtures in Canada as it would have been an ideal way to host exhibition matches in other Canadian cities.

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

Ive had a good hunt around and cant find anything about this. Do you have a link to it?

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I assume you mean the Academy funding? I'll have a scan, God knows where I've read it! 

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/39145/rfl-statement-professional-rugby-league-club-in-bradford

This is from 3 years ago but highlights the £100k for a Tier 1 Academy. I have no idea if this has changed. 

Archived