The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Oh no you're not 😉

Oh yes I am!!😇

I feel for those fans of the sport who live in Toronto who like us, have taken to the game, seen their club progress through the leagues (again promotion earned on the pitch is what I champion) and enjoy the same stuff I do on game. Its a fantastic sport. The more the merrier and the prospect of RL being played across N American continent is desirable.

But, as stated, expansion for expansion's sake is just wrong. I am not in possesion of all the facts/numbers to make an informed call but I have reservations of a transatlantic team being a viable prospect in SL.

Financially I don't think the game can afford it and logistically I have my doubts it can work properly.

All of this has been discussed in every detail and has been disected into many pieces on this forum.

I haven't seen a convincing argument for Torontos reinclusion in SL that perhaps Toulouse would take up and tick many more boxes for inclusion instead.... which would pizz me off for my own selfish reasons.

8 hours ago, Big Picture said:

What makes you think the NFL is losing money on their London matches, have you seen the financial numbers?

The NFL themselves have stated that they have lost money but are prepared to stand them in the pursuit of a more lucrative TV contract.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

The NFL themselves have stated that they have lost money but are prepared to stand them in the pursuit of a more lucrative TV contract.

A quick google to see if they make or lose money on the London games appears to be .....inconclusive ha ha. Its very difficult to see how they do, though one article says Jacksonville wanted 2 games here in 2020 to make up for losses while their stadium is being built:-

Jacksonville insists playing an extra game in London will help alleviate some financial concerns while “Lot J” is being developed.

Though again, that could infer loads of things, it could be them playing on the road elsewhere loses them more moeny than they do in London etc.

3 minutes ago, dkw said:

A quick google to see if they make or lose money on the London games appears to be .....inconclusive ha ha. Its very difficult to see how they do, though one article says Jacksonville wanted 2 games here in 2020 to make up for losses while their stadium is being built:-

Though again, that could infer loads of things, it could be them playing on the road elsewhere loses them more moeny than they do in London etc.

Directly, the NFL loses money on the games, as they pay the "home" team an equivalent sum to that given up, plus all the extra costs. But as others have said, the marketing value of the games seems to vastly exceed the loss, so overall it's worth it. The NFL wouldn't have put 10 mln quid into the new Spurs stadium if they didn't think the London games had a long term future. 

I don't think there's anything directly club rugby league can learn from this, as this only works for "global" sports brands - the big 4 US sports, the big 3 European soccer leagues and maybe one day soon the IPL. That's about it. Neither rugby code has this brand recognition (at club level) and I don't believe ever will, so no point, say, in sending two SL teams to Canada every year. Either have a team there properly, or leave it. 

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Comcast the Owners of Sky, have the NFL contract I should imagine Sky get the UK broadcast for very little if anything at all.

But that doesn't make sense Harry. Surely the NFL is selling international rights? 

8 hours ago, SL17 said:

Not at all. I just think your new potential owner requires guidance. SL or players wages isn’t a option from me. To throw that into the equation just shows he has no interest in the sport.

That would be what we call an 'incorrect assumption'.

Comcast also owns NBC that airs the NFL's Sunday Night Football, the league's most highly-rated show. All the same big happy corporate family.

Just now, SL17 said:

He is only willing to pay the players wages and outstanding bills and actually become the new owner if ...???

An owner has the responsibilities of an owner...a prospective owner has the responsibilities of a respective owner...this is not to hard to figure.

Just now, SL17 said:

He is only willing to pay the players wages and outstanding bills and actually become the new owner if ...???

You have answered your own question. LiVolsi will pay the club's debts only if he becomes the owner. Otherwise why would he?

Why is this so difficult to understand?

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Cas and Hull KR shirts for sale in Walmarts across Canada - bring it on 😃

The stores in Canada and the USA are integrated...RL could literally walk right into an already established base...the potential is unlimited to increase the revenue stream of RL...but we would not want to take a chance now would we...play it safe....be risk averse...be a chicken.

Just now, Kayakman said:

The stores in Canada and the USA are integrated...RL could literally walk right into an already established base...the potential is unlimited to increase the revenue stream of RL...but we would not want to take a chance now would we...play it safe....be risk averse...be a chicken.

Aye.... Argyle played his risks well didn't he?

1 minute ago, SL17 said:

Unfortunately it’s the wrong mentality to use. Everything revolves around SL, no contingency should the answer be no..

The tension increases...the paperwork presented today will make it hard for the SL owners to say No...the potential for riches is just too great...they would be crazy to reject it.   I believe this will go down, one way or another, as a 'turning point' for the game.  Its either move forward into the darkness with a strong step and a determined attitude, or hide in the shadows like a frightened lamb waiting for the inevitable outcome as the predators circle. 

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

The club won't exist to pay whats owed unless the new owner comes in and he will only come in to a club in Super League.

I don't know why some of the posters are sooooooo confused over this Tommy...its been made very clear...its like some twisted form of willful blindness or something.   The gig is up...its take it or leave it...go for it or run and hide in the shadows...no in-between now...that is probably what they are struggling with.

4 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I don't know why some of the posters are sooooooo confused over this Tommy...its been made very clear...its like some twisted form of willful blindness or something.   The gig is up...its take it or leave it...go for it or run and hide in the shadows...no in-between now...that is probably what they are struggling with.

It is a bit annoying going over the same point repeatedly, especially when it is so simple.

3 hours ago, Derwent said:

As you can read here, they decline to state whether they have or have not lost money, but "the NFL’s gate revenue from ticket buyers at London’s Wembley Stadium has regularly exceeded $30 million in recent years" and they have new and improved UK TV contract now too.  So the series becoming profitable is only a matter of time if it hasn't happened already.

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It is a bit annoying going over the same point repeatedly, especially when it is so simple.

Patience Tommy...we have a moral obligation to bring them along, albeit slowly....patience Tommy...we are doing the work of the Rugby Gods.

5 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Then based on the plan of SL or nothing. Leaves TWP in a vulnerable position with P&R  still in place, or would you suggest a 10 year exemption from relegation?

Are you familiar with Plato and his 'Allegory of the Cave'?...it is pertinent here.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Does that include the NRL decision makers?

If RFL/SL rejects the Wolfpack this week, will V'landys come over the hill on one of his White Chargers to save the day?

Or could it be NIMBY sympathy?

Without a doubt, I have seen Phil Gould who is a mouth piece for the NRL these days say unequivocally and unprompted the NRL needs a strong Super League. V`landy`s, Gould, Abdo, Bennet et.al. no doubt have a grand vision for League and SL will be part of it. Please don` t take that as being patronising.

The Private Equity valuation of the NRL was released yesterday $3.1 b and they are talking about selling a 20% stake, now there has been chatter about buying a stake in SL. Don`t think it will happen yet, I don`t think they are ready, too much to sort out here after twenty years of sleepwalking while the bloody afl got under our guard. The NRL has got issues to deal with as well.

Nothing to do with sympathy Harry, its business, we`ve got a kick-ar$e product we want to take to the world, toes are going to get trodden on.

P.S. Had a letter published in the LoveRugbyLeague mailbox today, you never did give me your opinion.

Archived