The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

6 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Clown is harsh but I agree that Shaw personifies the thinking that anyone who questions Toronto is automatically some sort of small-minded idiot whose never been abroad other than Benidorm.

I find it odd that most if not all of the media, bar John Davidson wafted aside the Wolfpack's many issues and for that reason I take the any journalists views with a large pinch of salt.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 hour ago, Yosser said:

Or maybe not. 

Phil Chaplin suggests that it could be the RFL who will decide if Toronto are allowed in, not the Super league clubs.

And since the RFL are said to favour  Toronto being readmitted..........

I hour 7mins, 30 secs in ;

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkLnBvZGJlYW4uY29tL2ZvcnR5MjBybC9mZWVkLnhtbA/episode/Zm9ydHkyMHJsLnBvZGJlYW4uY29tL2RhZTg5ZjkxLWZiNWUtM2YwZC1hYTM1LTc3MzJlZWJiODBhOQ?hl=en-GB&ved=2ahUKEwjt2NuBjoDsAhXGh1wKHQPPBiAQieUEegQIDRAF&ep=6

Still not clear, is it?

It may be that the RFL can re-admit them to the British game but Super League can vote against Toronto having a new participation agreement and/or TV money. 

Maybe that’s why they are saying ‘Super League & central funding or else’ and ramping up the PR?

55 minutes ago, briggyq said:

I find it odd that most if not all of the media, bar John Davidson wafted aside the Wolfpack's many issues and for that reason I take the any journalists views with a large pinch of salt.

I suppose some had bought the Toronto hype and covered their ears when alarm bells started ringing. Also, Davidson is just looking for stories to sell and isn’t an RL utopian.

I see the anti Wolfpack bias is alive and well and growing as we get closer to decision time...the attacks against various journalists is very troubling indeed but, I guess,  to be expected in this political climate what with Trump and Boris et al. 

30 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I see the anti Wolfpack bias is alive and well and growing as we get closer to decision time...the attacks against various journalists is very troubling indeed but, I guess,  to be expected in this political climate what with Trump and Boris et al. 

Just think. Come Friday TWP are either in or out. If they're out, people like us will be disappointed but life will go on.

But if they're readmitted, some people here will go absolutely BALLISTIC!

Wherever he is, I hope Parky's heart can handle a yes.

Is there any chance they would continue if relegated or given a 12 point deduction? They need some kind of punishment but I hope they carry on. I'm not keen on the ultimatums from the new owners to be honest, they're either in or not. A season in Championship isnt the end of the world. 

The precedent would suggest a 12 point deduction, what will be the response then?

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

19 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Is there any chance they would continue if relegated or given a 12 point deduction? They need some kind of punishment but I hope they carry on. I'm not keen on the ultimatums from the new owners to be honest, they're either in or not. A season in Championship isnt the end of the world. 

The precedent would suggest a 12 point deduction, what will be the response then?

SL or nothing.

No idea what would happen if they were relegated at the end of 2021 but I suspect that's the sort of thing that is being discussed. I can see a compromise whereby if they are readmitted with no points deduction and are relegated at the end of the season, LiVolsi would accept that, but starting out with a heavy handicap that practically ensures relegation would be unacceptable.

Btw, has any team ever overcome such a penalty and avoided relegation?

48 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Just think. Come Friday TWP are either in or out. If they're out, people like us will be disappointed but life will go on.

But if they're readmitted, some people here will go absolutely BALLISTIC!

Wherever he is, I hope Parky's heart can handle a yes.

RL Fans

14 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

SL or nothing.

No idea what would happen if they were relegated at the end of 2021 but I suspect that's the sort of thing that is being discussed. I can see a compromise whereby if they are readmitted with no points deduction and are relegated at the end of the season, LiVolsi would accept that, but starting out with a heavy handicap that practically ensures relegation would be unacceptable.

Btw, has any team ever overcome such a penalty and avoided relegation?

Not in a league so small. This might be the deciding factor in this, any other club would carry on come what may. A club whose existence depends on a short term bribe doesnt feel like a long term viable partner. Would you expect any other SL club to pack up if they were relegated? It's literally a season. If he's that flakey it raises alarm bells. I hope you stay as a club but this kind of thing has to carry a punishment.

3736-mipm.gif

23 minutes ago, SL17 said:

I just think some of these guys live on another planet never mind over the pond .

Once you dictate your intentions when previous obligations haven’t been met. That leaves your club at the hands of the RFL not SL. His intention is SL or no go. He carries no interest in the sport.

Welcome to Championship, the dog needs grooming.

Now that is not a very nice post at all and I'm sure Batley can take care of their own.

1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I think 4 (four) points would be more than adequate...this infatuation with punishment is troubling.

1 minute ago, SL17 said:

They will survive. The question being will TWP?

This is certainly the question of the day; it lies in the hands of SL and the RFL...let us hope common sense prevails, the right decision for the future of the game is made (make no doubt that this is one of the most important choices in the history of RL in England), and people wake up and smell the coffee! 

11 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I think 4 (four) points would be more than adequate...this infatuation with punishment is troubling.

I understand the symbol for four, but thanks.

What is the precedent for a 4 point deduction after a club goes bus. Bradford got 12 points and they at least carried on playing. Toronto dropped out without any consultation. The precedent would be 12 points minimum and that's taking corona into account.

3736-mipm.gif

10 minutes ago, SL17 said:

The procedure I posted 224 pages ago. The minimum is 12 points . 

So they use what’s left of the £16m to pay off Argyles debt.

ok..

It was a rhetorical question, it's clearly 12, but thanks for the clarification.

3736-mipm.gif

40 minutes ago, frank said:

Being in debt to the govt may influence the decision in regard to the WP being readmited.

Who's in debt to what government?

Even without knowing what you're talking about, I would think a government would want whomever playing and thereby generating revenue.

How realistically can TWP be allowed back into SL?  Covid19 will still be here in 2021, they will not be able to play.

These are desperate times for any sport that relies on spectators, having TWP in the competition is unrealistic. The best they might hope for is a delayed decision, or sabbatical until 2022 due to exceptional circumstances.

Aces will also be a no go. In fact, the entirety of the League 1 and Championship seasons are questionable at best. The sport needs to plan to the new normal, not wait for some day when the virus magically disappears.

10 minutes ago, ojx said:

How realistically can TWP be allowed back into SL?  Covid19 will still be here in 2021, they will not be able to play.

These are desperate times for any sport that relies on spectators, having TWP in the competition is unrealistic. The best they might hope for is a delayed decision, or sabbatical until 2022 due to exceptional circumstances.

Aces will also be a no go. In fact, the entirety of the League 1 and Championship seasons are questionable at best. The sport needs to plan to the new normal, not wait for some day when the virus magically disappears.

Sadly true.

35 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Sadly true.

Indeed, the sports value now is pretty much only as a TV product. Semi-professional sport is untenable.

SL need to develop a broadcast-able entertainment product that can be sold for enough to maintain the professional game. The trouble is that Sky wouldn't even televise all games at the best of times.

Leadership is needed to take the sport to a new model for the next few years. Is Mr. Elstone the man to do it? It is a big ask of anyone. In the NRL V'landys tied up a broadcast deal for the next several years. That might be the only the only deal that keep this sport professional.

We need to move past the mentality that this is just for one season, and then everything will be back to usual.

12 minutes ago, ojx said:

Indeed, the sports value now is pretty much only as a TV product. Semi-professional sport is untenable.

SL need to develop a broadcast-able entertainment product that can be sold for enough to maintain the professional game. The trouble is that Sky wouldn't even televise all games at the best of times.

Leadership is needed to take the sport to a new model for the next few years. Is Mr. Elstone the man to do it? It is a big ask of anyone.

We need to move past the mentality that this is just for one season, and then everything will be back to usual.

Who are the broadcasters willing to pay? Take it or leave it calls have been put before other sports. Which broadcaster is sat there with millions more just for rugby league?

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Who are the broadcasters willing to pay? Take it or leave it calls have been put before other sports. Which broadcaster is sat there with millions more just for rugby league?

Dark times indeed. Although maybe some upcoming online sports networks such as DAZN or Amazon see this as an opportunity to enter the market at a lower cost and can write off losses for a few years to position themselves for future growth.

1 hour ago, ojx said:

Dark times indeed. Although maybe some upcoming online sports networks such as DAZN or Amazon see this as an opportunity to enter the market at a lower cost and can write off losses for a few years to position themselves for future growth.

Streaming is the way of the future.

4 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I would have thought a 10 point head start for the WP would be the fair thing to do, considering the draconian deal SL foisted upon them. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Archived