The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worst decision in life is NOT to make a decision 🙂

One way out would be to put TW back in the Championship with some funding (Clean company with old debts cleared by liquidation) I know that this is NOT what some want to hear but it could be a way forward.

The Aces walk League 1 and hey ho we have a local derby in Canada:)

Paul

11 minutes ago, SL17 said:

They are not deciding theIr fate. The new potential owner has created the situation. SL or nothing.

So who is deciding the fate of TWP?

That’s true but there may be an element of negotiation in play. Bit like Brexit where both sides play hardball but ultimately agree some sort of deal (probably!).

52 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Apparently they can choose to defer until they've heard from LiVolsi next week

Yeah, apparently LiVolsi isn't even on conference call tomorrow to answer any questions. Sounds weird to me, unless he's already spoken to the owners and answered their questions. Of which I'm sure they have a few.

1 minute ago, SL17 said:

If the compromise is a return to the Championship with a parachute payment of £500k would TWP survive?

What exactly will the negotiations consist of. Will SL be offered a brown envelope. Will the RFL fulfil their duty of fixtures not being fulfilled?

Well, if you’re a SL club chairman you’d probably be happy enough for Toronto to be back in as long as they don’t take any central funding and they pay costs. 

I’m expecting them to defer the decision to next year with a view to Toronto re entering for 2022. Using the ongoing COVID issues both in Canada and international travel. SL and the RFL will then hope Toronto quietly disappear saving them having to do the dirty work. 

3 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

If they come back down to the championship its going to be a right ball ache trying to convince the memsahib that me wazzin another £1500 up in the air on another trip to Toronto really is a good idea.

do what I do..take her to a mall with lotsa shoe shops..women cannot pass a shoe shop so its a given they'll buy a couple pairs..then when you spring it on them they dont have a leg to stand on..game set and match!

2 hours ago, DEANO said:

Toronto should never have been allowed into the British leagues if they were never going to be accepted by super greed and everything that goes with it

will be making the Aces a bit nervous..spend a lot of money and then get shafted..and then there is NY...

12 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I’m expecting them to defer the decision to next year with a view to Toronto re entering for 2022. Using the ongoing COVID issues both in Canada and international travel. SL and the RFL will then hope Toronto quietly disappear saving them having to do the dirty work. 

Cunning stunt.

46 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Yeah, apparently LiVolsi isn't even on conference call tomorrow to answer any questions. Sounds weird to me, unless he's already spoken to the owners and answered their questions. Of which I'm sure they have a few.

Its weird which is why I think the meeting tomorrow will be a decision on principle. No point LiVolsi saying anything if 8 of the 13 votes are already dead set against him and the Wolfpack. Its an odd way of doing things 

54 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Or maybe he has a prior engagement. 

4 hours ago, LeeF said:

If they are not readmitted to SL then in theory the RFL decide whether they can join the RFL aka play in Championship/ League 1. Obviously this won’t occur as the prospective new owner only wants SL

What if Superleague vote no and then ask the rfl to promote a club.

The RFL could then promote TWP?

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

This wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, its fairly clear the virus and its issues aren't going to be gone within months this could give breathing space I suppose?

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

They are not deciding theIr fate. The new potential owner has created the situation. SL or nothing.

So who is deciding the fate of TWP?

Well the clubs are voting on wether they should be in SL next year. It’s in the hands of the 11 clubs

Just now, Gooleboy said:

I bet that would go down well with the Championship Clubs.

There have been suggestions of a play off in the championship but amusingly

A) it would upset the teams not involved

B) the same clubs refused to enter a small end of season tourny

C) the clubs failed to complete the season just like Toronto

For me i can see Toronto being allowed back in just. There will be some politics going on tonight thats for sure.

5 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Thanks forgot about them back again I will re-draft

Thanks 

PS/Re-drafted now really all down to Elstone unless one club changes their mind only one maybe Huddersfield Giants ?

You not think Salford might?

Its going to be interesting if they publisb the vote

Toronto_Raptors_Wolfpack_Support.png.1ea5d1cca8ee44e5eaf895d52bffcbf4.png

It's not every day that the current NBA Champions are tweeting about Rugby League, let alone publicly supporting a team in the RFL/SuperLeague.

I'll admit that this is just a tweet.  However, I think this is a good example of how deep the support for the Toronto Wolfpack runs, in the city, and how much an impact the team has had in it's relatively short existence.  It also shows, even in this small gesture, the potential which exists for RL should the team continue to exist and allow the sport to break into the North American consciousness and sporting market.

It's details like this, and (gasp!) positivity, which are far too often missed when fans like us are bickering over largely irrelevant details, arguing in circles over 300+ pages, and frequently unable to see past our own bubbles and preconceived notions.

Voting the Toronto Wolfpack back into Super League is a win for the game, and a long term positive for all involved in Rugby League.  Even those stung by David Argyle's failings seem to get this.

Voting to effectively kill the team, even if it were to mean a bit more money in the remaining teams' coffers next year, does nothing more than nip growth and expansion in the bud, and to ensure the  status quo (including all the frustrations we have with declining interest etc relative to other major sports) will continue.

54 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Alarm bells!

If any of what Davidson says is true then it’s nuts. Prime Minister Trudeau is already softening us up for another lock down, there seems little likelihood that any games in Canada will be allowed due to ongoing international travel restrictions and even if they are, fans with either not be allowed or will be severely restricted in numbers. Like a few other posters have suggested I expect the re entry will be deferred to 2022 so that more time is given to see what happens with subsequent waves of Covid.

7 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

If any of what Davidson says is true then it’s nuts. Prime Minister Trudeau is already softening us up for another lock down, there seems little likelihood that any games in Canada will be allowed due to ongoing international travel restrictions and even if they are, fans with either not be allowed or will be severely restricted in numbers. 

If the info is right (and Davidson’s usually is) and that’s the business plan he’ll be laughed out of the room.

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

If the info is right (and Davidson’s usually is) and that’s the business plan he’ll be laughed out of the room.

If that is the business plan he won’t even get in the room!

LiVolsi sounds like more of a conman than Argyle. Trying to leverage players' livelihood to guilt his way in and not showing his finances is a joke. Offer relegation to Championship and an equal share of money. Take it or leave it.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Archived