The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

@TIWIT you can post cry face emojis on a weird forum all you want. I was and am a Toronto fan. I've been a couple of times and loved it but there cant be exceptionalism. What has happened deserves punishment, the proposal from what I can gather is a marketing exercise. If the guy is serious he wont mind building in the Champ for a year. The sport cannot be held over a barrel, it's happened too many times before and if we were willing to throw possibly our most successful club of the modern era to the dogs for taking the pee then Toronto should be no different.

I genuinely hope we can still be talking about Toronto in RL in a year. 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

If the info is right (and Davidson’s usually is) and that’s the business plan he’ll be laughed out of the room.

Davidson has at times been the lone voice in all of this and if any of what he’s saying is true,and his track record is sound on this then frankly they can go do one

5 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

@TIWIT you can post cry face emojis on a weird forum all you want. I was and am a Toronto fan. I've been a couple of times and loved it but there cant be exceptionalism. What has happened deserves punishment, the proposal from what I can gather is a marketing exercise. If the guy is serious he wont mind building in the Champ for a year. The sport cannot be held over a barrel, it's happened too many times before and if we were willing to throw possibly our most successful club of the modern era to the dogs for taking the pee then Toronto should be no different.

I genuinely hope we can still be talking about Toronto in RL in a year. 

Well said, their dodgy practices can have a knock on effect on other clubs who rely on sponsors and the goodwill of creditors. This shouldn't have happened, there should have been salary caps in place to stop Argylle losing millions, and I hope this will apply when other overseas clubs come on board?

I think it would be too much of a risk to let them back in SL next year, and if it is deemed to let them in it should be deferred until 2022. That would also protect them from relegation at the first attempt which would spark another licencing/ P&R debate. 

20 hours ago, barnyia said:

Is sky not owned by North Americans? I can't understand how the NFL has got its own channel and there's always US sports reports and highlights on Sky sports. 

90% of that channel is available free elsewhere (YouTube NFL gamepass) it's just a fudge by sky to fill up the schedule during Covid

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

11 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Its weird which is why I think the meeting tomorrow will be a decision on principle. No point LiVolsi saying anything if 8 of the 13 votes are already dead set against him and the Wolfpack. Its an odd way of doing things 

If LiVolsi is already aware of that whay has he not been doing the time honoured American way of canvassing to change the minds of the doubters and secure their votes, did he send McDermott out to publicly speak on his behalf as he did on Sky now that would be an odd way if doing things. 

I can't see any other way other than to invite all of those who will be subjected to TWP's inclusion in SL to vote on the matter, the clubs will each have a reason as to say yeah or nay, it is a process no matter how hard it seems to some to appease the majority, which ever way it goes feathers will be ruffled.

6 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

Well said, their dodgy practices can have a knock on effect on other clubs who rely on sponsors and the goodwill of creditors. This shouldn't have happened, there should have been salary caps in place to stop Argylle losing millions, and I hope this will apply when other overseas clubs come on board?

I think it would be too much of a risk to let them back in SL next year, and if it is deemed to let them in it should be deferred until 2022. That would also protect them from relegation at the first attempt which would spark another licencing/ P&R debate. 

Seems mad to me that SL is making a decision on TWPs future as Covid is starting to get worse again.

Discuss their re entry when TWP can actually make it work again.

There's might only be 10 full time sides by next summer.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

11 minutes ago, briggyq said:

Davidson has at times been the lone voice in all of this and if any of what he’s saying is true,and his track record is sound on this then frankly they can go do one

I’ve found Davidson to be the best when it comes to reporting on Toronto over the past year or so, so I doubt he’s got this wrong. Whoever his source(s) are, are very good and must be involved somewhere with Toronto. 

10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Alarm bells!

Looks like those free ticket days are over if they are looking to increase gate receipts, but a 4-5 fold increase seems high given they were at capacity for most games in the Championship, unless there's been some new work done on the stadium that I've missed somewhere in the last 6,000 or so posts.

1 hour ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Seems mad to me that SL is making a decision on TWPs future as Covid is starting to get worse again.

Discuss their re entry when TWP can actually make it work again.

There's might only be 10 full time sides by next summer.

I would be shocked if the SL plays at all next year.

12 minutes ago, PhilCarrington said:

Looks like those free ticket days are over if they are looking to increase gate receipts, but a 4-5 fold increase seems high given they were at capacity for most games in the Championship, unless there's been some new work done on the stadium that I've missed somewhere in the last 6,000 or so posts.

I'm saying nothing 😉

1 minute ago, Jayme2020 said:

I would be shocked if the SL plays at all next year.

If you are correct and they don't play at all next year then there will be very little of it left to begin the '22 season.

The Hull owner/chair Mr Pearson was on the BBC national programme 'Politics Live' midweek and he said if these new conditions the government has imposed including no paying fans last as expected for 6 months then March '21 will be the Armageddon time for some clubs, obviuosly he means that the TV funding alone is not enough.

If as you think irrespective of not even playing behind closed doors and recieving Sky funding there will be no SL at all, then expect the worse. 

2 hours ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Covid gives them a good excuse to postpone a final decision.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I dont see how been back in championship is so much of a punishment to be fair. L1 and a big fine for all the mess its now caused,And all the publicity wont bring in fresh sponsers in these hard times once its all out in the open,I think lots more will unfold in the next few weeks.

3 hours ago, tuutaisrambo said:

90% of that channel is available free elsewhere (YouTube NFL gamepass) it's just a fudge by sky to fill up the schedule during Covid

NFL game pass is aroun 200 quid a year...

Is it a fudge if it's a new channel?

It expansion of American football on our doorstep and theg will be expanding mainly into London who we are told only care about soccer....

1 hour ago, PhilCarrington said:

Is it a 4-5 fold in paying customers and not attendance?

2 hours ago, PhilCarrington said:

I'd think they have plenty of growth in ticket revenue tbh. 

According to Rugby League Project, they averaged 7k last year versus a capacity of 10k. This was also in the lower division, so it would be expected that there would be ticket price increase built in. If the ticket price doubled and they sold out each week you'd be looking at a 200% ticket income increase, and if you factor in that not all of the 7k have been paying then that % uplift is even larger. 

Archived