The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

12 minutes ago, yipyee said:

All sports with a sky contract ate carrying on to get paid, not sure what you mean lack of content?

My last sentance is used as an excuse why RL cannot expand in the capital

I guess there must be some lack of content if they have replaced an entire channel with mostly free NFL network shows and re runs of NFL games....... what was there before? I only watched it when Rugby was on.

RL struggles to expand anywhere cos it's useless at it...  London isn't special we can't expand into Yorkshire or Lancashire either 😆

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Canis Lupus said:

I understand this but it is not as if this issue has just arisen . Seems the players are not at the top of the list but that's not new really. 

Only Argyle to blame for that I'm afraid......I'm sure TWP will need to work a little harder to recruit in future if they come back.

Rubbish for the players I agree but I guess the rest of SL is more concerned with their own players wages at the moment.

1 minute ago, tuutaisrambo said:

I guess there must be some lack of content if they have replaced an entire channel with mostly free NFL network shows and re runs of NFL games....... what was there before? I only watched it when Rugby was on.

RL struggles to expand anywhere cos it's useless at it...  London isn't special we can't expand into Yorkshire or Lancashire either 😆

The F1 channel is the same, 

Its easy for them though to create a channel when theres so much other content produced by others floating about. 

The key is its centralised in one place and are just fillers for the main content.

Our main content is well hidden.

I know that game pass has free content but so does boxnation, its to draw people in to pay for the main content

3 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Only Argyle to blame for that I'm afraid......I'm sure TWP will need to work a little harder to recruit in future if they come back.

Rubbish for the players I agree but I guess the rest of SL is more concerned with their own players wages at the moment.

We as a club have no defence with respect to non payment of players . It is also understandable that other clubs are more worried about their own players wages but this whole allowed back or not could have happened quicker even with due diligence . 

We live to fight another day! Yay!

But just to stir things up, why didn't the SL Board take a bit of time to vote on a financial package to bail out the unpaid TWP players? They could then make repayment of that a condition of TWP's reinstatement should that go through, or if not it would still make SL look good for doing the right thing when others clearly don't give a damn.

I know it would be an expensive hit for some clubs (maybe only pay the players half of what they're owed to tide them over) but the good publicity SL would receive would be priceless.

2 minutes ago, Canis Lupus said:

We as a club have no defence with respect to non payment of players . It is also understandable that other clubs are more worried about their own players wages but this whole allowed back or not could have happened quicker even with due diligence . 

You'd think SL need more of a business plan to consider than 'Proof of funds if you let us in' and 'we're gonna increase prices massively' if reports are true.

Who knows what kind of a competition will exist for TWP to re enter next year?

Will Livolsi want to invest in a contracting market? 

I bet half of SL league owners would gladly sell up and get out given the chance if this carries on much longer.

Covid has accelerated existing problems with the game in the UK.

Four week delay? If it does turn out to be a NO then hopefully that will give Super League a chance to formulate a strategic plan that might show they’ve any vision at all other than managed decline. I need something to believe in to stay involved in this sport as increasing irrelevance doesn’t  do it for me.

If there’s no vision and a no decision eventually then despite being a former investor in a former super league club and a lifelong fan, I am not sure I’ll want to have anything to do with the sport any more. Not sure that’ll sway any decisions...

4 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

But just to stir things up, why didn't the SL Board take a bit of time to vote on a financial package to bail out the unpaid TWP players? They could then make repayment of that a condition of TWP's reinstatement should that go through, or if not it would still make SL look good for doing the right thing when others clearly don't give a damn.

I know it would be an expensive hit for some clubs (maybe only pay the players half of what they're owed to tide them over) but the good publicity SL would receive would be priceless.

Cos they haven't got spare cash to pay other teams players

1 minute ago, tuutaisrambo said:

You'd think SL need more of a business plan to consider than 'Proof of funds if you let us in' and 'we're gonna increase prices massively' if reports are true.

Who knows what kind of a competition will exist for TWP to re enter next year?

Will Livolsi want to invest in a contracting market? 

I bet half of SL league owners would gladly sell up and get out given the chance if this carries on much longer.

Covid has accelerated existing problems with the game in the UK.

Maybe all the other clubs could employ that business plan*? Financial worries for the whole game will be wiped out at a stroke........

(*If any other club (particularly the likes of Wake or Salford) suggested that, I can just imagine the reaction of a few posters on this board)

4 minutes ago, Mushy said:

Four week delay? If it does turn out to be a NO then hopefully that will give Super League a chance to formulate a strategic plan that might show they’ve any vision at all other than managed decline. I need something to believe in to stay involved in this sport as increasing irrelevance doesn’t  do it for me.

If there’s no vision and a no decision eventually then despite being a former investor in a former super league club and a lifelong fan, I am not sure I’ll want to have anything to do with the sport any more. Not sure that’ll sway any decisions...

There's about as much vision as Stevie wonder.

Do you think either the RFL or SL had a good look at how Rugby league in Canada could be expanded themselves.

My guess is they just expected TWP to do it for them.

5 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Cos they haven't got spare cash to pay other teams players

This, ultimately, is the answer.  

And if they do it this time, they set a precedent. That potentially becomes a rather costly exercise. 

What the RFL and SL have to do is proper due diligence, and make relevant demands, maybe through bonds, to make sure players have protection. 

39 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

There's about as much vision as Stevie wonder.

Do you think either the RFL or SL had a good look at how Rugby league in Canada could be expanded themselves.

My guess is they just expected TWP to do it for them.

well nobody in their right mind strategically would have been looking to expand into Canada... Surely a higher priority would have been France.

So why would RFL/SL look at using what limited resources they have into expanding into a market place that nobody, repeat nobody would have  even contemplated a few years ago.   Only now that Toronto at their supposed own costs were allowed into the competition that anyone says we should go onto Canada and if we don't the sport is doomed.

So of course it was left to Toronto to grow themselves and their area with regards to community playing the sport.    I guess just like other  clubs here do community work.

Pretty logical decision I'd say. I've already said I thought it strange that LiVolsi wasn't there to answer questions; now he will be. Plus he now knows where SL still has doubts and can go into more detail as to what his plans are.

2 hours ago, tuutaisrambo said:

You make the mistake of thinking they invest to make money, they do it for the love of the club and the game. Teams like Warrington, Wigan, Saints, Leeds, Catalans will still be in a position to carry on when conditions allow. 

5 hours ago, Michael1812 said:

One thing to keep in mind, the 10,000 number is the legal capacity based on the fire code. It is not how many people fit in lamport. That number is higher. The fire code is based on things like the number of exits. I wonder if some of these issues could be resolved to increase the capacity. It was also reported by the Howlin Hour (the guy who is the stadium announcer at Lamport), that TWP were finned by the city after last years’ final for being 2,000 people over capacity. 

And hitting the 10,000 capacity depends on them playing all their games there. For the first few months they won't be. Crowds this season   for their home games were a long way from that. 

2 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Maybe the other SL clubs have enough problems of their own and can't pay other clubs debts. Might start a trend. RL Cares have already helped out in some cases. 

Have TWP asked their fans for help? With that big home support it wouldn't take much per person to raise a decent sum to help their own players.

5 minutes ago, PhilCarrington said:

Maybe the other SL clubs have enough problems of their own and can't pay other clubs debts. Might start a trend. RL Cares have already helped out in some cases. 

Have TWP asked their fans for help? With that big home support it wouldn't take much per person to raise a decent sum to help their own players.

AFAIK, no. Good idea though. Wouldn't be the first time Canadians have had to come to the aid of the Brits.

12 minutes ago, snapski said:

The bid to rejoin and financial forecast fell well short.

You were there were you? Give us all a detailed report then please.

If not then either give us a source or refrain from making such silly unsubstantiated statements.

Archived