The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Its a ALL a front as i have stated before DA will still be the man behind it and most in SL know this.

Did you just decide to brush over this new fella claiming he dislikes Argyle and they had a big falling out because of the way Racist Dave acted with this business?

Makes sense to delay the decision if there's a possibility that they could return. Clearly some SL clubs think a financially stable Wolfpack would be worth having in 2021, given the current wider circumstances in the country. (Although strangely Elstone doesn't). 

But at the same time, SL/RFL need to crack on and say what Plan B is. If it's 11 teams, fine. 

But if it's going to be some sort of process which awards a place to a championship team, they need to start that now, so the selected team has at least a chance to assemble a FT squad that won't get smashed every game next year. If we leave it another month it'll be too late. 

Realistically, the only teams who could possibly step up are the ones that have a FT player base to start with: London, Toulouse, and Leigh given their signings made for next year. 

23 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Makes sense to delay the decision if there's a possibility that they could return. Clearly some SL clubs think a financially stable Wolfpack would be worth having in 2021, given the current wider circumstances in the country. (Although strangely Elstone doesn't). 

But at the same time, SL/RFL need to crack on and say what Plan B is. If it's 11 teams, fine. 

But if it's going to be some sort of process which awards a place to a championship team, they need to start that now, so the selected team has at least a chance to assemble a FT squad that won't get smashed every game next year. If we leave it another month it'll be too late. 

Realistically, the only teams who could possibly step up are the ones that have a FT player base to start with: London, Toulouse, and Leigh given their signings made for next year. 

London only seem to have 14 players signed up at the moment.

The Super League executive  were meant to give their opinion on Canada’s future value to the game to the Super League board, I would assume given yesterday’s news that they did and a wider examination will take place, it was not an opinion on the Wolfpack per se.

The RFL were scheduled to develop a penalty for the Wolfpack, but I think there was a difficulty in that the Wolfpack, at the moment, are not a member to penalise.

the Wolfpack did lodge the required documents by the deadline and the Super League Board were given a week to examine.

and disappointing was the result.

another month to wait.

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Its a ALL a front as i have stated before DA will still be the man behind it and most in SL know this.

Do you have any proof of this, even if it is just circumstantial evidence?

If so, could you share please.

Not being arsey or anything, given dodgy DA's record I am genuinely interested to know if there is any truth in this allegation.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

If this ultimatum of the Livolsi presentation is correct that he is DEMANDING that if accepted Toronto should be free from relegation for 3 years just tell him to feck off right now. 

You'd make an excellent EU negotiator Harry

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

If this ultimatum of the Livolsi presentation is correct that he is DEMANDING that if accepted Toronto should be free from relegation for 3 years just tell him to feck off right now. 

Hi Harry,

Its all a front anyway talk to anyone in SL and they are pretty much of the opinion that DA is still pulling the strings.

Super league clubs and the games leadership need to grasp the narrative here and take control. If its still an Argyle show and/or the presentation for the new owners is poor they need to be changing the narrative along those lines.

If the reasons to not allow Toronto back are perfectly valid and not simply protectionist prejudice that's fine, but we're getting nowt and the opacity leads people to assume the worst in all situations.

16 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Agreed. They seem open minded.

The interesting thing is SL has taken over doing the homework on whether transatlantic rugby is viable from the RFL. If it’s a no to Toronto, it’s a no to Ottawa and New York as well.

No, they are assessing the viability of SL in Canada. Splitting hairs, I know, but a quite different analysis is involved in my opinion.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

10 hours ago, TIWIT said:

If they weren't going to readmit TWP then why would they postpone their decision? The fact they did suggests they at least are keeping an open mind.

Does this sound open-minded: “The clubs were open minded enough to say that if you do it right second time, it’s robust and every box is ticked, that they would consider it fairly and objectively at that time."

I think that it still reads strongly against whilst avoiding any blame for the failure of the application.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 minutes ago, Quolls2020 said:

Perhaps certain people in Super League want to give them every chance to prove they are not viable.

Off course, and in the bit that says "Is Canada suitable for RL" they can get rid of Ottawa also while they are at it, that will save having to through all this again in a couple or 3 years time.

I like your thinking Quolls👍

13 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Doesn’t say anything about the CRLA, it says NA clubs.

They are reviewing the decision by the RFL to allow Toronto and Ottawa in, possibly with a view to getting rid of them. You’d think commitments by Toronto to Canadian player development will be part of this.

He can say what he wants but Elstone simply has a SL remit. He could, of course, indicate that SL wouldn't really look favourably upon any other NA applications but that isn't his style. More likely we could expect some weasel words which would ensure that any future problems would have been caused by anyone other than SL.

2 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

If those squads are no better than part-time/hybrid Fev, then what makes you think they would be good enough? London, Toulouse and Leigh would have to replace half of them, while a hybrid squad wouldn't have as much of a problem off-loading their part-timers. And don't give me the Dual Reg argument, a couple of Rhinos fringe players who are no better than they key players in the side don't make that much difference.

Selection for replacing Toronto should be decided on merit. 

8 hours ago, Omott91 said:

I think this is a positive for Toronto. The clubs could have killed them off today but in my opinion Toronto are being given every chance to be readmitted, not the other way around.   

I think that the SL clubs, and Elstone, are protecting their own backs. When ultimately rejecting the application they will then be able to say that they gave Toronto every opportunity to demonstrate their cast-iron viability with the fervent hope that all of the details added up but that, sadly, they fell well short.

Kerching!

2 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

If those squads are no better than part-time/hybrid Fev, then what makes you think they would be good enough? London, Toulouse and Leigh would have to replace half of them, while a hybrid squad wouldn't have as much of a problem off-loading their part-timers. And don't give me the Dual Reg argument, a couple of Rhinos fringe players who are no better than they key players in the side don't make that much difference.

Selection for replacing Toronto should be decided on merit. 

Do you think if it came to a winner takes all competition it should be acceptable to field DR player's?

It could make the competition a mockery, Leigh for example have a DR agreement with Saints what if they were allowed to 'borrow' some player's for the comp?

Isn't there a rule that to play in certain comps for promotion such as the 8's or the play off's that a DR player would had to have played 6 games in the season to be elegible if so no club in the Championship has played 6 games so that will exclude any DR player from taking part.

Archived