The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

So do you think that Sky would want 27 games involving TWP that have little consequence for one of the teams if they are defeated or not, LiVolsi says no relegation or no Wolfpack. 

Certainly no less than a battle between the 9th and 10th place teams with 3 weeks to go in the season. If only to see a team of good English lads beating them 'furigners'.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Thanks. My personal view is that he is aware that there will be a negotiation. Asking for the earth is a good starting point from his point of view, I suppose we will see over time who is prepared to be pragmatic.

I think that you are right but, more fundamentally, what is he after? He has no background nor interest in RL and clearly sees this as a break-even marketing vehicle for his grooming products businesses. From what little that I have read if he was coming forward with a new proposition for a club out of the blue he would be rejected out of hand. The short but interesting history of TWP is in danger of slanting the discussion away from the truly pragmatic. If the sport isn't in need of some brutal pragmatism at present then I don't know when it will be.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

According to League Express, the clubs who voted against Toronto last week are Castleford, Huddersfield and Wakefield.

The clubs who wanted to vote against there and then, as distinct from giving TWP a chance to resubmit, before then voting against. The implication that all the other clubs were in favour of acceptance is just wrong.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

The clubs who wanted to vote against there and then, as distinct from giving TWP a chance to resubmit, before then voting against. The implication that all the other clubs were in favour of acceptance is just wrong.

There is no implication of any sort, unless you've been living under a very large rock you will know that most clubs voted to give them another 4 weeks. If all the other clubs were in favour then they would be in for 2021, they are not.

6 hours ago, frank said:

Make no wonder the game in the  UK is in such a poor state.The guys running the show are so indecisive.The decision to allow  the WP back into SL should have been made last week.Here we are having to wait another month.

There is  nothing to be lost by letting them in.They are averaging crowds of 8,000 and building where in Sl  a number of teams don't  get gates like that and the ones that do are losing ground.

Just hope that  the clubs getting WPs share of the tv money, isn't the decider of not letting them back in.

I don't think indecisive is the right word..the guy(s) running the show(s) are conflicted and diametrically opposed. Elstone is there to protect SLE who, despite the E in their title" are suspicious of any outside the heartland expansion thinking it will dilute the origins of the game. Rimmer and the RFL embrace expansion because they think (correctly in my opinion) will broaden the appeal of the game and invite investment and therefore growth. A commonwealth country like Canada with similar cultural and personal ties to the UK as Australia should nurture RL given enough time and support and the fact that can we are about to embrace a second RL team in 4 years would seem to bear this out. Not so sure about the US given that they have 10 times our population but if NYRL does not prosper there after 3 or 4 years the proponents could always relocate it to Montreal or Halifax (NS) where it would, I am sure, be as well received as TWP or the Aces. 

6 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

I don't think indecisive is the right word..the guy(s) running the show(s) are conflicted and diametrically opposed. Elstone is there to protect SLE who, despite the E in their title" are suspicious of any outside the heartland expansion thinking it will dilute the origins of the game. Rimmer and the RFL embrace expansion because they think (correctly in my opinion) will broaden the appeal of the game and invite investment and therefore growth. A commonwealth country like Canada with similar cultural and personal ties to the UK as Australia should nurture RL given enough time and support and the fact that can we are about to embrace a second RL team in 4 years would seem to bear this out. Not so sure about the US given that they have 10 times our population but if NYRL does not prosper there after 3 or 4 years the proponents could always relocate it to Montreal or Halifax (NS) where it would, I am sure, be as well received as TWP or the Aces. 

pretty sure the (E) in SLE is in reference to Europe, and I do believe there is a country which sits outside of the heartlands and within Europe by way of Les Catalans Dragons. as long as my geography is up to scratch which on this occasion I believe it is then Canada does not sit inside Europe unless you can enlighten me further. id also suggest that if Toulouse gain promotion then I'm sure they would be welcomed into the league in the same way Catalans have

It is not called Super League Commonwealth and therefore your reference to that bears little significance. 

TWP are being asked to jump through the same hoops as any new perspective owner would when taking over a new club. This will happen when KR have a perspective new owner aswell. 

If the Business plan was up to scratch then i doubt these conversations would be happening, its the fact that they weren't which has people even more concerned. 

On 25/09/2020 at 18:17, TIWIT said:

You were there were you? Give us all a detailed report then please.

If not then either give us a source or refrain from making such silly unsubstantiated statements.

It was said on TV at the time I posted. Can’t remember who said it. I wouldnt have posted if I hadn’t heard it. Back in your box.

27 minutes ago, To Be Confirmed said:

pretty sure the (E) in SLE is in reference to Europe, and I do believe there is a country which sits outside of the heartlands and within Europe by way of Les Catalans Dragons. as long as my geography is up to scratch which on this occasion I believe it is then Canada does not sit inside Europe unless you can enlighten me further. id also suggest that if Toulouse gain promotion then I'm sure they would be welcomed into the league in the same way Catalans have

It is not called Super League Commonwealth and therefore your reference to that bears little significance. 

TWP are being asked to jump through the same hoops as any new perspective owner would when taking over a new club. This will happen when KR have a perspective new owner aswell. 

If the Business plan was up to scratch then i doubt these conversations would be happening, its the fact that they weren't which has people even more concerned. 

Think you are missing my point and are you entirely sure the heartlands would welcome Toulouse? and crowd into Old Trafford and Wembley in record numbers  if either of those two cups are contested by Toulouse and Catalans. I wonder about the size of the bond Elstone would demand for that!! UK is leaving the EU..you don't see Canada bailing on the commonwealth.

16 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

Think you are missing my point and are you entirely sure the heartlands would welcome Toulouse?

I cant be sure.....and its purely anecdotal.... but most i know love the toulouse gig. 

Similarly I don't detect any anti-toulouse feeling towards inclusion in either SL or the championship. 

TWP appear to have polarised opinions. On this forum, most(but by no means all), appear pro twp.

On other fora and social media, the pro twp voices appear drowned out by those vehemently opposed to twp.

I don't really give a toss either way. SL must make the right decision this time. Whatever that decision may be.

23 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

Think you are missing my point and are you entirely sure the heartlands would welcome Toulouse? and crowd into Old Trafford and Wembley in record numbers  if either of those two cups are contested by Toulouse and Catalans. I wonder about the size of the bond Elstone would demand for that!! UK is leaving the EU..you don't see Canada bailing on the commonwealth.

Why would Robert Elstone and SLE be bothered about Wembley? the Challenge Cup is a competition that is run by the RFL who love TWP.

The Challenge Cup Bond was again requested by the RFL, the bond that the SL are asking for is to prevent another scenario whereby players were struggling to feed families due to not being paid. 

1 hour ago, Quolls2020 said:

Brian McDermott calls on rugby league to be ‘brave, dynamic and willing to change’ amid Toronto decision

MATTHEW SHAW   27/09/2020

In my previous employment, if someone had told me that I’d made a “brave and dynamic decision”,
I’d know I’d be looking for a new job the next week.

Indeed, mess with the Colonels recipe at your peril.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

1 hour ago, snapski said:

It was said on TV at the time I posted. Can’t remember who said it. I wouldnt have posted if I hadn’t heard it. Back in your box.

No one else has offered such a detailed tale as yours. Without better sources it's all so much hearsay.

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

I cant be sure.....and its purely anecdotal.... but most i know love the toulouse gig. 

Similarly I don't detect any anti-toulouse feeling towards inclusion in either SL or the championship. 

TWP appear to have polarised opinions. On this forum, most(but by no means all), appear pro twp.

On other fora and social media, the pro twp voices appear drowned out by those vehemently opposed to twp.

I don't really give a toss either way. SL must make the right decision this time. Whatever that decision may be.

Toulouse has never threatened the status quo like Toronto. did/still is.

Or created threads 320+ pages long.

TWP generates interest, and thats what the game needs.

I don't think it is looking that good so the Naysayers will be happy...its a big decision and I'm not sure Elstone is the man to make it but he is there now and we need some 'cohesion'.  the whole thing has the drama and twists of some long running soap.  Lets face it, the game currently is facing bigger challenges than Toronto.  Why turn down any positive news in such times...YUP! turn down a legit investor in a time of economic crisis for the game....hard to fathom but true.

Just make a decision will ya Elstone!

2 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I don't think it is looking that good so the Naysayers will be happy...its a big decision and I'm not sure Elstone is the man to make it but he is there now and we need some 'cohesion'.  the whole thing has the drama and twists of some long running soap.  Lets face it, the game currently is facing bigger challenges than Toronto.  Why turn down any positive news in such times...YUP! turn down a legit investor in a time of economic crisis for the game....hard to fathom but true.

Just make a decision will ya Elstone!

Legitimacy is being debated at the mo....

Superleague must make the right decision. Giving themselves more time to assess and make that decision is essential IF the right decision is made..... whatever that may be

Archived