The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

4 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Which is why I don’t like off field decisions, unless those decisions are applied fairly and equitably to ALL clubs. There just seems to be too many decisions made without clear and consistent evidence applied.

Like licencing 

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, GUBRATS said:

Like licencing 

Licensing can only work if we had sufficient strong candidates, the reality is too many of our teams are too similar in structure, eg what does Salford have that Leigh doesn’t? What does Wakefield have that Fev doesn’t? Plus too many of past licensing decisions seem to have been very vague to favour some and not others, eg Dewsbury can’t move some games to Sheffield but Wakefield can, Cas don't have enough seats but it doesn’t seem to matter. Mind you even under P&R we had the London “stadium” being approved so I guess I just don’t know what to think anymore.

13 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

With the news today that Ontario could see 1000 Covid cases per day by mid Oct and experts think Nov and Dec could be worse i think we have to scrap any plans for pro sports in Ontario for the near and mid range future.

1000 a day, pfft

13 hours ago, flyingking said:

There has been talk of a Milan team for the KHL. The current spread of clubs and countries is impressive stretching all the way from Prague to Beijing. Surprisingly, the Chinese club has been successful, from a standing start with zero ice hockey tradition, they have made the play offs. Ambitious expansions can definitely work sometimes. 

I wasn’t aware of the KHL, impressive range of clubs across a wide (time zone) area.

i think Prague has gone.

i will examine how they manage the time Differences in their schedules,
in super rugby, the time differences, led to a ratings collapse that forced them into local conferences which were not all that populate either. COVID has hastened that competitions demise.

the US contiguous time zones are not a problem As it is only 3 hours difference, an early afternoon game on played one side is An early evening TV watch on the other.

Super Rugby was an 11 hour time span...

17 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Sadly, I have to agree with you.

We can only allocate places in divisions based on a majority vote by the pre-existing members of that division.

It's just how it has to be.

Also, Mr Rimmer is apparently still a firm advocate for P&R I wonder how much weight that will carry, if any at all? 

Through comments on these pages It seems a few of our Canadian friends are hanging onto Mr Rimmer seemingly wanting to retain Toronto in SL, but here we have a conundrum, Mr LiVolsi requests a guaranteed 3 year period free from relegation ruling for the Wolfpack, does Mr Rimmer agree with that request, and if so will a number of incumbent SL clubs also agree with it?

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Also, Mr Rimmer is apparently still a firm advocate for P&R I wonder how much weight that will carry, if any at all? 

Through comments on these pages It seems a few of our Canadian friends are hanging onto Mr Rimmer seemingly wanting to retain Toronto in SL, but here we have a conundrum, Mr LiVolsi requests a guaranteed 3 year period free from relegation ruling for the Wolfpack, does Mr Rimmer agree with that request, and if so will a number of incumbent SL clubs also agree with it?

So the blame can then be laid at somebody else's door , as usual Harry 

20 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Catalans Harry, the most successful expansion team we've ever had...

20 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Which will make you ecstatic:

The survival or elimination of a rugby league team?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Licensing can only work if we had sufficient strong candidates, the reality is too many of our teams are too similar in structure, eg what does Salford have that Leigh doesn’t? What does Wakefield have that Fev doesn’t? Plus too many of past licensing decisions seem to have been very vague to favour some and not others, eg Dewsbury can’t move some games to Sheffield but Wakefield can, Cas don't have enough seats but it doesn’t seem to matter. Mind you even under P&R we had the London “stadium” being approved so I guess I just don’t know what to think anymore.

Those anomalies shouldn't matter though as long as it is a commitee decision some say.

The trouble is our commitees in Rugby League carry to much "Confilct of Interest" to give answers and decisions with any form of neutrality.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Those anomalies shouldn't matter though as long as it is a commitee decision some say.

The trouble is our commitees in Rugby League carry to much "Confilct of Interest" to give answers and decisions with any form of neutrality.

You see it now! 

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

If Toronto survive, I assume in your opinion the "Commitee" will be clever forward thinking people, but if they get rejected the very same people will be as thick as pigshit.

Nope, not at all H. When you assume you make an ass out of u and me

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

You see it now! 

I have never said any different, hence if there is a place to fill in SL in the near future it should be acheived on the field of play, on the other hand you disagree with that, I suppose had this season not been interupted and TWP had been relegated you would have campaigned to let them stay in SL, by commitee decision.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

I have never said any different, hence if there is a place to fill in SL in the near future it should be acheived on the field of play, on the other hand you disagree with that, I suppose had this season not been interupted and TWP had been relegated you would have campaigned to let them stay in SL, by commitee decision.

Not at all. I'm not the one stating they'd be ecstatic that such a decision was taken by committee though

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Not at all. I'm not the one stating they'd be ecstatic that such a decision was taken by committee though

He'll only be ecstatic if the decision deprives several thousand people of a club to support.

Any other decision will render him less ecstatic.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

He'll only be ecstatic if the decision deprives several thousand people of a club to support.

Oh so you mean like someone who thought if the committee decision went the way they thought it would be very clever and if not they'd be thick as pigsh*t? Funny that

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Oh so you mean like someone who thought if the committee decision went the way they thought it would be very clever and if not they'd be thick as pigsh*t? Funny that

It is odd.

The key things remain, as I see them, Toronto must pay their debts, Toronto must present a satisfactory business plan for the next twelve months and beyond (with full disaster planning built in), Toronto's continuation in Super League (and/or elsewhere) must not come at the expense of the security of any other club.

26 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

22 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Fair comment, yes I did say that.

19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It is odd.

The key things remain, as I see them, Toronto must pay their debts, Toronto must present a satisfactory business plan for the next twelve months and beyond (with full disaster planning built in), Toronto's continuation in Super League (and/or elsewhere) must not come at the expense of the security of any other club.

On your last point, certainly not in a financial perspective, but with P/R that cannot be guaranteed because if they are in SL in 2022 it will be by virtue of them not being relegated and someone else being.

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

On your last point, certainly not in a financial perspective, but with P/R that cannot be guaranteed because if they are in SL in 2022 it will be by virtue of them not being relegated and someone else being.

Potentially. But, assuming that P&R stays and is broadly the same as now, then being relegated will always be problematic for a club even in ordinary circumstances. We've had a system recently where it was possible to finish fourth bottom and be relegated whilst the teams below you survive.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Potentially. But, assuming that P&R stays and is broadly the same as now, then being relegated will always be problematic for a club even in ordinary circumstances. We've had a system recently where it was possible to finish fourth bottom and be relegated whilst the teams below you survive.

Very true, but a club is almost certainly going to be relegated at the end of next season if there are 12 teams in Super League, which does play directly into the nature of this vote

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Very true, but a club is almost certainly going to be relegated at the end of next season if there are 12 teams in Super League, which does play directly into the nature of this vote

Is that in your opinion good or bad,  I remember the times when you were an advocate of P&R but also protectionist for certain clubs, do you honestly believe that is a fair system? 

Archived