The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

the icing on the cake a second club in the Super League would increase the number of professional French players and therefore the French national team could be more competitive and this could serve the English interests

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, fcl said:

the icing on the cake a second club in the Super League would increase the number of professional French players and therefore the French national team could be more competitive and this could serve the English interests

To me, Toulouse is a no-brainer.
Fish where the fish are.

8 hours ago, TIWIT said:

For once having so many teams and stadiums in close proximity would be a good thing when it comes to creating a bubble. 

The problem is the length of the season. Players will not commit to 6 months in a bubble away from their families.

Which is why the current season should have been a 9/10 round competition 

40 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think we are agreed on all but this point. 

If they decide TWP should be out, there are many reasons that could be quoted, not involving central funding. 

I think there are plenty of reasons we could end up with any of the 4 or 5 combinations that aren't just a cash grab. 

You and Wiganermike make some valid points.

For me, if the clubs decide not to re-admit TWP then the share of the TV money that would have been allocated to the 12th team should not be divvied out amongst the other 11 clubs.

I would prefer that the money was directed to local clubs to help promote themselves In their community.

44 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think we are agreed on all but this point. 

If they decide TWP should be out, there are many reasons that could be quoted, not involving central funding. 

And if they decide to go for 12 teams how do they select that team based on the fact that the Championship clubs aren't playing? There is also a huge element of risk having a 12th team artificially increase its wage bill to join SL at a time when there is so much uncertainty. We are likely to have an affected season next year too, Toulouse shouldn't be admitted in that environment, and I think even for a heartland club it would be a real challenge. There is then the fairness position of who you would even invite. 

I think there are plenty of reasons we could end up with any of the 4 or 5 combinations that aren't just a cash grab. However for people with that bias, it is very easy to just see everything as a cash grab. 

One final point, again the heartland clubs are getting bashed, but these clubs and their owners and fans are digging deep right now and funding RL being played. People talk about the Sky contract, but it is worth around £1.8m to clubs who would maybe have a turnover of 7 to 10 million. I'm not sure why the narrative is being painted that these owners are the skinflint bad guys here after every penny. 

Indeed , I am sick of reading how nasty , stupid and greedy our club owners are supposed to be , by people who haven't been clever , brave or generous enough in their financial dealings to support a RL club , for both the benefit of the support base and local community but also the greater ' sport ' 

7 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

For me, if the clubs decide not to re-admit TWP then the share of the TV money that would have been allocated to the 12th team should not be divvied out amongst the other 11 clubs.

I would prefer that the money was directed to local clubs to help promote themselves In their community.

In all the occasions that central funds have been denied to clubs , the money should not have been given to the other clubs , only by doing that can you be certain there is no bias in any vote 

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Toulouse are more likely to have decent crowds back next year than M62 clubs, to be fair. They have solid financial backing, a top notch ground, decent squad with juniors and they already pay travel costs. 

They tick plenty of boxes.

I'd hand pick Toulouse for SL any day, apart from during this crazy period. 

But even if we did just handpick them, I'd rather they could prepare for 2022, we often criticise RL for rushing things, admitting a new team and expecting them to step up during this pandemic is unfair IMHO. 

28 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I'm on board with the funding being centralised, however I'm not sure what promoting local clubs would cost or why it would need that couple of million. I think there are plenty of things we could do with it though. 

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'd hand pick Toulouse for SL any day, apart from during this crazy period. 

But even if we did just handpick them, I'd rather they could prepare for 2022, we often criticise RL for rushing things, admitting a new team and expecting them to step up during this pandemic is unfair IMHO. 

Toulouse are currently a much better bet for SL than TWP. 

36 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Toulouse are currently a much better bet for SL than TWP. 

Except they haven't actually qualified on the pitch and that's essential because purity.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Except they haven't actually qualified on the pitch and that's essential because purity.

However, and I understand the point you are making, but being supportive of handpicking a team during a pandemic that has cancelled the Championship and possibly killed off one SL club is not the same as being supportive of licensing. 

I've no issues with licensing myself, but I dont see a contradiction in Gubrats' position on this. 

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

However, and I understand the point you are making, but being supportive of handpicking a team during a pandemic that has cancelled the Championship and possibly killed off one SL club is not the same as being supportive of licensing. 

I've no issues with licensing myself, but I dont see a contradiction in Gubrats' position on this. 

There is no contradiction. Quite a few people who believe in the purity of on-field being the only way of deciding who plays in what league are coming out as big fans of committees making these decisions instead.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There is no contradiction. Quite a few people who believe in the purity of on-field being the only way of deciding who plays in what league are coming out as big fans of committees making these decisions instead.

Ends justify means!

8 hours ago, ojx said:

Back to the topic. Quinn Ngawati just signed for RUNY in the MLR. I hope RL fans don't complain when they lose the North American market. That comment is a bit tongue in cheek, because the MLR is still very much in the startup category of ventures, and could easily fail. However things like this will leave an impression with the Toronto fans. The Arrows are already looking to get hold of the Wolfpack members list and continue on with games at Lamport.

I've never seen this guy play but have seen his name come up a lot on a few forums. Is he actually any good? I know Canadian fans rate him highly from his performances for their u20s. The MLR is incredibly small time but they don't seem to plan on stopping any time soon, NOLA just signed a player on a 4 year contract.

8 hours ago, ojx said:

Back to the topic. Quinn Ngawati just signed for RUNY in the MLR. I hope RL fans don't complain when they lose the North American market. That comment is a bit tongue in cheek, because the MLR is still very much in the startup category of ventures, and could easily fail. However things like this will leave an impression with the Toronto fans. The Arrows are already looking to get hold of the Wolfpack members list and continue on with games at Lamport.

May as well just hand it to Union now...

3 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

I've never seen this guy play but have seen his name come up a lot on a few forums. Is he actually any good? I know Canadian fans rate him highly from his performances for their u20s. The MLR is incredibly small time but they don't seem to plan on stopping any time soon, NOLA just signed a player on a 4 year contract.

He played two games off the bench in L1 for Toronto then sent on loan to Skolars the year after. I’m guessing this isn’t a big loss to the sport of rugby league.

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

He played two games off the bench in L1 for Toronto then sent on loan to Skolars the year after. I’m guessing this isn’t a big loss to the sport of rugby league.

Well the more tier 2 and 3 players playing pro rugby league the better. There could always be a route back for him through Ottawa perhaps.

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Its symptomatic of what the future of the two codes could be in NA

37 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Just the once a century while in a global pandemic yes 

Archived