The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Thought you were a Wigginer Dav, your teams on the box pay attention.

Recovering at home from a car crash yesterday pal,I’m in enough pain without watching the whole of that rubbish.

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

How interested is LiVolsi really after his own admission that he did not give his submission the attention it deserved, Elstone said he had been advised what the topics to be covered were so half the job was done for him, I just feel that if accepted and there is something in the future he doesn't care for he will scarper, I don't  think he can be trusted.

I think this is more or less the prevailing opinion amongst a majority of those making the decision particularly following the half-hearted submission made last week by LiVolsi. Some obviously could yet be persuaded that he is committed for the long term given the second chance they gave him to present to them but if he wasn't committed enough to submit a proper proposal and business plan last week then it doesn't seem likely that he will be able to allay those concerns. This is why I expect the application to return will be turned down as I don't think he will be able to convince a majority that he is serious and committed.

3 hours ago, wiganermike said:

I think this is more or less the prevailing opinion amongst a majority of those making the decision particularly following the half-hearted submission made last week by LiVolsi. Some obviously could yet be persuaded that he is committed for the long term given the second chance they gave him to present to them but if he wasn't committed enough to submit a proper proposal and business plan last week then it doesn't seem likely that he will be able to allay those concerns. This is why I expect the application to return will be turned down as I don't think he will be able to convince a majority that he is serious and committed.

Hopefully.

9 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

He played two games off the bench in L1 for Toronto then sent on loan to Skolars the year after. I’m guessing this isn’t a big loss to the sport of rugby league.

And that folks is why RL continues to lose ground to RU. League loses a promising young player to the other code and because it's a kid from outside the heartlands it's of no consequence. We should be bemoaning the loss of any player to Union not dismissing it as "no big loss' .. sad attitude.

57 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

And that folks is why RL continues to lose ground to RU. League loses a promising young player to the other code and because it's a kid from outside the heartlands it's of no consequence. We should be bemoaning the loss of any player to Union not dismissing it as "no big loss' .. sad attitude.

I don’t buy that we’re in some sort of arms race because we’ve already lost. 

10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

He played two games off the bench in L1 for Toronto then sent on loan to Skolars the year after. I’m guessing this isn’t a big loss to the sport of rugby league.

A big unit but very raw when he played, the loss is that he was the only home-grown player to play for TWP in 3 and a bit seasons. Whilst Fulham started off with bought in players, by year 4 they'd started to look closer to home.

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I don’t buy that we’re in some sort of arms race because we’ve already lost. 

Gotta love that Churchillian spirit!

1 minute ago, RobertAM said:

Gotta love that Churchillian spirit!

Just trying to inject a little realism into the dreaming.

I can just about accept the expansion arguments for Toronto even though what they’ve done up to now isn’t truly expansion in my view.

But the argument that goes ‘If Toronto fold we lose rugby in North America to union forever’ is a heap of dung too far.

As a ‘White Dominion’, Canada has been union territory for decades & decades and the US has a professional league. That is the way to truly expand over there.

We aren’t going to beat that by having a Canadian club based in Rochdale.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Just trying to inject a little realism into the dreaming.

I can just about accept the expansion arguments for Toronto even though what they’ve done up to now isn’t truly expansion in my view.

But the argument that goes ‘If Toronto fold we lose rugby in North America to union forever’ is a heap of dung too far.

As a ‘White Dominion’, Canada has been union territory for decades & decades and the US has a professional league. That is the way to truly expand over there.

We aren’t going to beat that by having a Canadian club based in Rochdale.

Toronto had better crowds for 1 club playing against the likes of Rochdale, Batley and Gloucestershire All Golds, than half of Major League Rugby (Union) combined.

There is real potential for RL to be the "professional code" in America with crowds etc whilst union remains a largely college pursuit.

36 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Toronto had better crowds for 1 club playing against the likes of Rochdale, Batley and Gloucestershire All Golds, than half of Major League Rugby (Union) combined.

There is real potential for RL to be the "professional code" in America with crowds etc whilst union remains a largely college pursuit.

I have the same question as MoK, if not so derisively asked: how do you see that happening? 

I think it was always an uphills battle, but will TWP on the ropes and no other team really off the ground... not saying that there couldn't be viable pro clubs here, but not in a way that overtakes MLT or makes RU a "largely college pursuit" (it doesn't seem to be anyway, I think there are a lot more participants in amateur clubs than in college).

6 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

I have the same question as MoK, if not so derisively asked: how do you see that happening? 

I think it was always an uphills battle, but will TWP on the ropes and no other team really off the ground... not saying that there couldn't be viable pro clubs here, but not in a way that overtakes MLT or makes RU a "largely college pursuit" (it doesn't seem to be anyway, I think there are a lot more participants in amateur clubs than in college).

Professional Rugby union is lowkey in the US and Canada as the sport struggles to break out of its amateur roots into commercial success.

RL has the advantage that our teams can get the legitimacy in a rugby sense from playing British and French teams in a league, unlike the lowkey NA league system RU is pushing ahead with. The direct comparison is the Wolfpack v the Arrows and its stark how much bigger the Wolfpack are despite League barely existing in Canada or the US. 

As they in 1895 realised, we're the entertaining game designed to get people to watch.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Professional Rugby union is lowkey in the US and Canada as the sport struggles to break out of its amateur roots into commercial success.

I have a different overall take. It has a relatively low profile, but given MLR is only three years old it's not actually doing terrible.  Most metrics seem to be on a steady upward trajectory.  

RL has the advantage that our teams can get the legitimacy in a rugby sense from playing British and French teams in a league, unlike the lowkey NA league system RU is pushing ahead with.

Tbh I think that's more of advantage in Canada, where our usual inferiority complex makes it so that anything from somewhere else must be better than we have here. It's how all the big Toronto sports operate. But I think in the US, it's actually more of an advantage to MLR is that it's set up how they're used to seeing sports - one league with city based clubs in conferences across the country. The only "new" thing they have to learn is the actual game

The direct comparison is the Wolfpack v the Arrows and its stark how much bigger the Wolfpack are despite League barely existing in Canada or the US. 

A HUGE (I think the biggest) is that TWP was first to market.  Thousands of people turned up because it was the only pro rugby available.  If the Arrows had been first they would have reaped a lot of that benefit.  Probably not as much,  they just don't have the same budget that TWP (did) have, and Toronto loves big budget sports. And the novelty of playing in a UK league was certainly a draw. We may never know,  but I doubt TWP would have been such a success if we already had a union team up and running when they were first pitched. 

As they in 1895 realised, we're the entertaining game designed to get people to watch.

6 minutes ago, SL17 said:

TWP are fighting a battle that has been in place since the conception of Super League.

There is no fault with expansion, never has.

The issue remains with SL. The games development was put on hold in order to watch the game unfold. 

Now they want to dictate to a sport they have ruined.

Well done SL..

Ruined in what way?

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Toronto also ran out of money and didn't pay players etc, most of the MRL clubs are going concerns unlike Toronto.

7 hours ago, wiganermike said:

If that's the case why didn't they simply say "###### off, you're clearly a charlatan"? Answer is that SL still want to know what's in it for them. It's a business transaction and we'll know who blinks first in another 3 weeks. How will it go? Haven't got a clue, but if it's no to TWP then I expect a money grab and an 11 team SL in 2021.

Archived