The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Not disagreeing with any if that Hela, but how far down does your 'leniency' meter go before it is decided if a club is not a good fit for SL. 

I don’t think it’s exactly “leniancy” because is it fair to judge Leigh, who’ve had years of Championship money, against say Wakefield, who have had 20+ years of Super League money?

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Mate I think you're missing my (and his) point. 

It's about the attitude of judgement of certain clubs by the "value" they bring to Super League. Toronto is actually an irrelevance to the point tbh it applies the same to Halifax, Widnes, Leigh etc. It however seems never to apply to Wakefield, Castleford, even Wigan or Leeds.

Toronto have had financial issues so their value moving forward is definitely worth discussing and shouldn’t be used to compare to sides who haven’t had issues. 

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I prefer the Crocodile Dundee fishing system

I used to, a long long time ago, do something similar, I wrapped 2 penny bangers in plastercine? And chuck them in dams...worked well, environmentally outrageous now, and I agree.

but a younger bloke came down and said I was doing it all  Wrong and just put the banger in a glass jar. Kills everything, he said, well he lost two fingers and the sight in one eye...some times New fangled ideas don’t work..yes I am referring to the theme.

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

‘Our own dominion”. Lolz. Dominion = colony. As in, the British colony of Canada.

Until 1982, UK Parliament had the power to change the Canadian constitution & any changes wanted by Ottawa required formal approval by the UK. 

1982!  I’ve been around longer than Canada has been technically an independent nation!!

I've heard of revisionist history but this takes the cake!  Donald Trump is requesting your assistance at the White House immediately!

30 minutes ago, Quolls2020 said:

I used to, a long long time ago, do something similar, I wrapped 2 penny bangers in plastercine? And chuck them in dams...worked well, environmentally outrageous now, and I agree.

but a younger bloke came down and said I was doing it all  Wrong and just put the banger in a glass jar. Kills everything, he said, well he lost two fingers and the sight in one eye...some times New fangled ideas don’t work..yes I am referring to the theme.

You people over there are funny!  Forget the 'penny bangers' (whatever that is) and other small stuff, have you ever used a stick of dynamite to fish?....ever hunt fish with a .303 rifle?

7 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

stuff

Penny bangers were ok..2 penny bangers were like dynamite on testosterone.  I am old enough to remember when they were banned.. some idiot kid put A lighted one in his pocket full of the same. Didn’t work out well..I miss cracker night

12 minutes ago, Quolls2020 said:

Penny bangers were ok..2 penny bangers were like dynamite on testosterone.  I am old enough to remember when they were banned.. some idiot kid put A lighted one in his pocket full of the same. Didn’t work out well..I miss cracker night

These would be what we call 'fire crackers'...are you suggesting that they are no longer for purchase or illegal over there now?

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

C'mon Reaper, do you not think if there were any good enough union players in Canada capable of making the switch to the Wolfpack do you think they would not be there or even enticed by the Wolfpack if only for a Public Relations excersize.

I have said it before, I have spoken to lads ( TWP player's at the time) who went along to assist in the many auditions that were held in the early days, it was said there was some 'fine physical specimens' that attended but they were as wooden as a tree stump in the abillity required to play rugby league.

We produce some extremely good players who go on to play at very high levels in rugby union -  Jeff Hassler starred for years at Ospreys, Van de Merwe at Glasgow. Wings who can play centre, arguably the easiest position to switch. Both in MLR now but at the time TWP kicked off pretty much in their prime. 

So no, just because we have players who could have switched decently well perhaps doesn't automatically mean that TWP would entice them. 

11 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

illegal

Well I think we got a bit carried away..I did for a very short time work in a gold mine where we used dynamite, 2 penny bungers wrapped in plastercine? Worked better than dynamite in dams. I know not why. But yes personal fire works are banned...yes I miss cracker night

34 minutes ago, Quolls2020 said:

Well I think we got a bit carried away..I did for a very short time work in a gold mine where we used dynamite, 2 penny bungers wrapped in plastercine? Worked better than dynamite in dams. I know not why. But yes personal fire works are banned...yes I miss cracker night

I always enjoyed using C4 while I was in the army in the old days...biggest bang for the buck!....you can get all the fireworks you want over here.

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Which would be a terrible loss for Rugby League I'm sure you'll agree.

I don't know if I do agree, my personal jury is still out considering.

Albeit I can see some positive things in having Toronto included, I can offer as many counter arguments in turning down Livolsi's application.

And I will not differ in my opinion that it is still far to early to offer Ottawa a league place, we simply do not know if having teams from 3500 miles away, in relative virgin territory is going to mesh in 'our system', and that is the crux of it some people believe we should disrupt 'our system' to shoe horn them in, I have conficting views on that. 

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Albeit I can see some positive things in having Toronto included, I can offer as many counter arguments in turning down Livolsi's application.

And I will not differ in my opinion that it is still far to early to offer Ottawa a league place, we simply do not know if having teams from 3500 miles away, in relative virgin territory is going to mesh in 'our system', and that is the crux of it some people believe we should disrupt 'our system' to shoe horn them in, I have conficting views on that. 

Don't be a 'Doubting Thomas' Harry...you gotta believe!

2 hours ago, TheReaper said:

We produce some extremely good players who go on to play at very high levels in rugby union -  Jeff Hassler starred for years at Ospreys, Van de Merwe at Glasgow. Wings who can play centre, arguably the easiest position to switch. Both in MLR now but at the time TWP kicked off pretty much in their prime. 

So no, just because we have players who could have switched decently well perhaps doesn't automatically mean that TWP would entice them. 

RL couldn't afford Van der Merwe, Taylor Paris, Wil Percillier or any of our other better players.  Biggest issue is actually the Visa issue.  Canadian and American Players are treated like imports, even when they play for TWP.   That's the reason Ryan Burroughs left, because he couldn't get game time due to being considered an import.

Certain Brits here have selective understanding of their own rules and regulations.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

My point wasn't about having them in "our system" even Harry. It was having them as Rugby League clubs full stop.

8 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

RL couldn't afford Van der Merwe, Taylor Paris, Wil Percillier or any of our other better players.  Biggest issue is actually the Visa issue.  Canadian and American Players are treated like imports, even when they play for TWP.   That's the reason Ryan Burroughs left, because he couldn't get game time due to being considered an import.

Certain Brits here have selective understanding of their own rules and regulations.

Really? I had no idea this was the case. With this in place, why are we even bothering talking about the WP developing players?

Honestly I think it’s time for tell the truth, honest answers to the following questions

To the RFL - do you want a team(s) in Canada? If so why?

To Mr LiVolsi - why do you really want to own TWP, if indeed you do actually want to own them and aren’t just acting as someone else’s front?

To British RL fans - I would assume a Canadian team is not welcomed by most, so what would you offer as a solution to the current 11 team comp, or would you stick at 11?

To Sky - do you want a team from Canada in the comp, or don’t you care where the teams come from (if true then you can’t exclude the likes of Fev).

2 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

I went over this fact many times with our English friends when it was happening...they refused to believe it...willful blindness in action...a simple regulation change was all that was required but ....NO!  NO! NO!

30 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Honestly I think it’s time for tell the truth, honest answers to the following questions

1. To the RFL - do you want a team(s) in Canada? If so why?

2. To Mr LiVolsi - why do you really want to own TWP, if indeed you do actually want to own them and aren’t just acting as someone else’s front?

3. To British RL fans - I would assume a Canadian team is not welcomed by most, so what would you offer as a solution to the current 11 team comp, or would you stick at 11?

4. To Sky - do you want a team from Canada in the comp, or don’t you care where the teams come from (if true then you can’t exclude the likes of Fev).

1. The RFL have allowed and backed 2 teams from Canada entering. The more controversial position comes to Super League

2. Good question, personally I remain less than convinced by the guy. I wouldn't mind if he was a front as long as the club ran financially. We have plenty worse involved in British Sport!

3. There will just be a lot of yelling at clouds there I'm afraid. No single result will make everyone happy, including keeping/ditching Toronto.

4. Sky clearly like Toronto, they based half their marketing for the 2020 season on them. Fev is a different prospect as its essentially more of the same of what SL already has, only smaller in profile - not that there is anything wrong with that but lets not pretend reality is any different. Sky are bothered about image, profile, and popularity driving viewership. In that sense I'd argue that beyond Saints, Leeds, Wire, Hull and Wigan, they don't really care who's in so long as they don't turn up as part timers.

1 hour ago, Oldbear said:

To the RFL - do you want a team(s) in Canada? If so why?

To Mr LiVolsi - why do you really want to own TWP, if indeed you do actually want to own them and aren’t just acting as someone else’s front?

To British RL fans - I would assume a Canadian team is not welcomed by most, so what would you offer as a solution to the current 11 team comp, or would you stick at 11?

To Sky - do you want a team from Canada in the comp, or don’t you care where the teams come from (if true then you can’t exclude the likes of Fev).

1/ The RFL want a team in Canada provided they have a TV deal (Even if it only covers filming all Toronto’s home games)

2/ This is the big one that needs answering before a decision is made. 

3/ The majority of RL fans want what’s best for the game which is obviously for it to spread to as many places as possible. For some fans though it will always be club first. 

4/ Same as the first answer Sky want Toronto provided they provide games for them. Without that they aren’t a great benefit to Sky apart from a bit of a novelty and maybe some big name signings. 

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

I went over this fact many times with our English friends when it was happening...they refused to believe it...willful blindness in action...a simple regulation change was all that was required but ....NO!  NO! NO!

Regulation change by whom - the UK government or the RFL ?

Burroughs did well when he moved to Skolars, shame they couldn't keep hold of him.

Archived