The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Do you not consider ALL RL fans want what's best for the game, if in their opinion that doesn't include Toronto which my be of a different opinion to yours then so be it. 

The only thing that is obvious Bob is different people have different opinions. 

So you don't want rl spread far and wide and enjoyed by as many people as possible? 

29 minutes ago, Omott91 said:

So you don't want rl spread far and wide and enjoyed by as many people as possible? 

I want RL to spread far and wide, but I dont think a team in Thailand is the right thing for SL. 

The only answer to spreading RL isn't to put a team in SL. 

16 hours ago, Dave T said:

C1:4:2 QUOTA OF OVERSEAS PLAYERS
Each Club shall only be entitled to register, and declare in any Match Day Squad, the 
5 "overseas Players" (the “Quota”) save for those Clubs which are granted an 
exemption in such form as the Board shall decide.

For the avoidance of doubt, if any Club exceeds the Quota at any time, it shall not be 
entitled to replace any "overseas Player" whose contract has expired or who ceases 
to play for the Club for any other reason, until it complies with the relevant Quota, and 
it shall be guilty of Off Field Misconduct. The Board shall be entitled to remove the 
Player from the Register as set out above.

In the case of Toronto Wolfpack, the Board has determined that Players with 
Canadian, American or Jamaican passports shall not count towards the maximum 
number of overseas players which can be signed by the Club.

That applies to TWP players but not to those playing in the lower development leagues, so a talented younger Canadian sent to England would be counted as as an import there. I think.

15 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

That applies to TWP players but not to those playing in the lower development leagues, so a talented younger Canadian sent to England would be counted as as an import there. I think.

Had any talented Canadian player shown interest in playing over here ? 

7 hours ago, TIWIT said:

With regards to player development a player produced through the academy system that we would call home grown and that doesn't count towards any quota limits like Oliver Gildart at Wigan, Jack Walker at Leeds, Leroy Cudjoe at Huddersfield is defined as 'Federation Trained'. They remain 'Federation Trained' even after transferring to a different club. Brad Singleton at Wigan, Kallum Watkins at Salford and Jack Hughes at Warrington are all Federation Trained players despite having changed clubs as they were developed within the Rugby League European Federation (RLEF) system. Jamaica are full members of the RLEF, Canada and USA are affiliate members of the RLEF so players produced by RL development systems in those countries would be produced under the auspices of the RLEF and thus would be Federation Trained. Any player developed in Canada, USA or Jamaica should be counted as Federation Trained regardless of whom they play for just as French players are.

The problem was that as we have seen with the visa fiasco the standard of back office administration at TWP was hardly the highest standard so perhaps understandable why there were mix ups regarding the status of Canadian and American players. The one thing that MUST be fixed if TWP are allowed to rejoin SL is the administrative side which quite frankly has never been good enough, if the new owners aren’t prepared to bring in the right people then they cannot be allowed to rejoin, otherwise the same mistakes will be repeated.

Please remember that this is a family friendly forum. Some things just go over that line and need to be removed.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

11 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

When is the next meeting between the chairmen and Toronto? WIll it be next week? 

Yeah the rumour mill has been strangely quiet this week and its usually like a leaky kayak.

Question is, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

Yeah the rumour mill has been strangely quiet this week and its usually like a leaky kayak.

I imagine it's because they are focussed on the cup this week. 

I've genuinely lost track of time and when the next meeting / discussion is.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

9 hours ago, TIWIT said:

A leaky kayak is a bad thing.

Twas the calm before the storm.

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

The storm reside in Oz. Good luck with that venture..

I've kayaked there...you have to watch out for the sharks.

T'wich the cove and headlands the answer lies.

23 minutes ago, Quolls2020 said:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/hakim-miloudi-new-club-hull-4611864

they must have lost too many players to be any where near competitive?

The interesting bit there is the suggestion he's been talking to Ottawa.

I wonder if that's something that's being worked on behind the scenes more generally?

It would make sense for Ottawa to sign a core of players who have experience of transatlantic playing. And if some of the Wolfpack players could be parachuted into Ottawa, it would give SL/RFL quite a bit of cover from allegations that they are putting people out of work if they refuse reentry of the Wolfpack. 

Archived