The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Covid negative. Today is the first day out of bed since Sunday. Temp 38.5.... uti still on impact..... but NOT covid so at least I can hug my grandkids😊

I right waste of a week's annual leave!

So you've been ' swinging the lead ' you lazy get πŸ˜‚

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

The issue with Argyle is not going 'broke' it is the dishonesty and questionable business dealings that mean he should be banned.Β 

This, sadly not the first guy of this type to get involved with pro sport and he won’t be the last. Unfortunately for RL we do seem to attract a disproportionately high number of these guys though, so again I question the due diligence being done at the time of application.

36 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

This, sadly not the first guy of this type to get involved with pro sport and he won’t be the last. Unfortunately for RL we do seem to attract a disproportionately high number of these guys though, so again I question the due diligence being done at the time of application.

I wouldn’t say it’s disproportionally higher than football, the football league alone is littered with examples of this.Β 

On 21/10/2020 at 22:27, Robin Evans said:

Its quite easy to reconcile.Β 

Basically, johnny makes the point livolsi cannot be expected to be made responsible for Argyles screw ups if he doesn't get what he wants whilst in the earlier post make an entirely different point that your assertion that players should look after their money better is utterly irrelevant and diversionary to the moral responsibility that twp has on paying its creditors.

They are two very different points.Β 

Thanks Robin - saved me some ink (old PC).

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 22/10/2020 at 00:04, TIWIT said:

You are essentially correct and I pretty much agree. Perhaps I shoudnt have combined the two because as you note they are two different issues.

But I'm stuck in a hospital bed so what else can I do for fun but argue?

Best wishes old lad.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 22/10/2020 at 00:19, Robin Evans said:

I've been in bed since Sunday with a 39Β°c temp, a raging uti, peeing marmiteΒ  a cough and I've done a covid swab today.Β 

Hang on in there bigΒ lad, we need you.

11 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

He's CEO, not an office boy. Carrying on in that role while (other) employees are not being paidΒ for monthsΒ makes him absolutely complicit in that act. If TWP were to be re-admitted I'd hope none of the current executives were considered to be 'fit and proper'.Β 

Is he being paid and, if so, by whom?

If not, what is in it for him?

Sorry to sound cynical but, in all my years in business, my maxim was "follow the money".

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Sorry to sound cynical but, in all my years in business, my maxim was "follow the money".

Hunter says in the following article that he is working without payment.

https://www.prpeak.com/toronto-wolfpack-ready-to-make-case-to-return-to-action-with-new-owner-1.24195221
Β 

and not sure this is well known but the RFL did make some hardship paymentsΒ to TWP players.

https://www.timescolonist.com/life/wolfpack-players-receive-hardship-payments-from-rugby-league-authorities-1.24202716

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Not got the foggiest ideaΒ if he's being paid or not, but I do know that not everyone is motivated purely by money at all stages of their career/life.

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

It would be the challenge of the whole thing he relishes....he obviously believes in the concept and sees possible reward at the end if he can pull it off...you have to remember he was taught by Jimmy Pattison and this is the mentality and type of thinking Jimmy demands from all of his trainees (I know this for a fact).Β  Its a different way of thinking but unique also....Jimmy has a 'system' he teaches and instills into people...my brother worked for him and Bob was also there at the time...its the challenge that has hooked him; he will 'get 'er done'.

3 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Not got the foggiest ideaΒ if he's being paid or not, but I do know that not everyone is motivated purely by money at all stages of their career/life.

From the Canadian Press, 31/8/20

β€œWolfpack chairman and CEO Bob Hunter, the former MLSE executive who has not taken a salary since joining the franchise last August, says the hope is the club's future will be decided "the sooner the better."”

6 minutes ago, Quolls2020 said:

From the Canadian Press, 31/8/20

β€œWolfpack chairman and CEO Bob Hunter, the former MLSE executive who has not taken a salary since joining the franchise last August, says the hope is the club's future will be decided "the sooner the better."”

Notice it says β€œLAST August” and β€œsince joining” that means no salary from 14/8/19.

56 minutes ago, Quolls2020 said:

Notice it says β€œLAST August” and β€œsince joining” that means no salary from 14/8/19.

He's a retired MLSE executive. He's not short of a few bucks, this could just be a retirement hobby for him.

1 hour ago, ojx said:

He's a retired MLSE executive. He's not short of a few bucks, this could just be a retirement hobby for him.

I thought hobbies were supposed to be fun. This doesnt look like much fun to me.

Throughout this thread I've pretty much advocated a "proceed with the utmost caution" approach to twp.Β 

However, I dipped in to Facebook for a shufty last night. Jesus H Arkwright!!!! What bilge. The visceral rage towards twp appears the norm and makes me, a flat cap wearing fev afflicted old 2@ look like a progressive modernist.

Even i come out of there shaking my head at some of the absolute lox spouted on that page.

Now.... no news.....is this good or bad.

Just now, Robin Evans said:

Throughout this thread I've pretty much advocated a "proceed with the utmost caution" approach to twp.Β 

However, I dipped in to Facebook for a shufty last night. Jesus H Arkwright!!!! What bilge. The visceral rage towards twp appears the norm and makes me, a flat cap wearing fev afflicted old 2@ look like a progressive modernist.

Even i come out of the shaking my head at some of the absolute lox spouted on that page.

Like I've always said mate!Β 

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Like I've always said mate!Β 

So the moral of this is ?

Get a life , not on Facebook , I find it incredible you are breaking the law holding a phone to your ear while driving , but checking your Facebook isn't ileagal

5 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Even i come out of there shaking my head at some of the absolute lox spouted on that page.

You better now ? Lazy get πŸ˜‚

9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So the moral of this is ?

Get a life , not on Facebook , I find it incredible you are breaking the law holding a phone to your ear while driving , but checking your Facebook isn't ileagal

No morals, just an observation.

Archived