The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

19 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The sooner the better Hela, there is always day 1 just to formulate a plan never mind begin with one.

Please be totally honest, how would you see it if say just 3 teams TWP, Ottawa and NY were to progress to SL, how would they furnish their playing rosters, and would incumbant SL teams gladly reduce tge quality of their teams?

How would they furnish their playing rosters? - Probably the same way Salford (a team without an Academy) have done by signing players from Super League and with players from Australia. 

Would incumbent Super League teams gladly reuse the quality of their teams? - So, players leaving, just how they do every year? Probably exactly the same as now, move on and recruit replacements. 

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I think (and not trying to be cantankerous here), that the game (and by that I mean the heartlands super league clubs who run it in the N Hemisphere) needs to decide are they happy being a minority sport in a small part of the country rabbiting on about being TGG, or do they want the game taken to other places and to grow. If it’s the former then fine, but they’ll only have themselves to blame as the tv deal gets smaller each time and they end up being semi pro playing in front of much smaller crowds, still going on about being TGG. 

Not bitter though. That's good.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

54 minutes ago, Oxford said:

RL is cheap because of its fanbase largely having a marginal amount of disposable income.

A lot of the secondary income depends on that same disposable income.

A drop like the one you suggest will probablt lead to franchising and the death of P&R, and in all likelihood less teams in SL.

Having said that the incoming depression may produce much the same results anyway.

RL exists because its fanbase and player base have and always had much lower levels of disposable income. This isn't an excuse, simply an unavoidable fact.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

RL exists because its fanbase and player base have and always had much lower levels of disposable income. This isn't an excuse, simply an unavoidable fact.

If you define yourself like that, it will always remain the case.

UK classism is mind boggling.

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Can't we just hurry up and kick the ######## out so we can get this thread to 500 pages asap? 😉 

Toronto was never going to work-end of-rfl fell for the pots of money line,with out doing their homework. Any way all these super league teams with  test positive players.SL should cancel the season now.What will they do if somebody dies?

43 minutes ago, silcoates said:

Toronto was never going to work-end of-rfl fell for the pots of money line,with out doing their homework. Any way all these super league teams with  test positive players.SL should cancel the season now.What will they do if somebody dies?

Blame Toronto

On the subject of disposable income and prices I think that CATALAN DRAGONS are the most expensive team to watch in SL.

With the Dragons though its classless (Watched by everyone from the road sweeper to the Millionaire company owner) it does not have the stigma there.

Prices do not seem to effect football at all, we have to increase our fan base across all spectrums.

Paul

1 hour ago, TheReaper said:

If you define yourself like that, it will always remain the case.

UK classism is mind boggling.

You really don't understand do you? I am not defining myself or my sport, simply providing a bit of factual history. Without being aware of the deep community roots of RL you will never be able to fully understand the opinions of those who have those same roots.

As the Aussies would have it: "When you drink that pure water, remember who dug the well."

14 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

On the subject of disposable income and prices I think that CATALAN DRAGONS are the most expensive team to watch in SL.

With the Dragons though its classless (Watched by everyone from the road sweeper to the Millionaire company owner) it does not have the stigma there.

Prices do not seem to effect football at all, we have to increase our fan base across all spectrums.

Paul

too... many.... jokes..... French & Classless!!! :kolobok_ph34r:

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

If the alternative is to wait three generations and  then have nothing bearing fruit, then yes. Though I’d argue that it wouldn’t take three generations, why would it. 

Pretty sure it wouldn’t, this is a sport loving nation where kids still play sports rather than other activities. More importantly parents encourage them to take their sporting talents as far as they can.

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

With the best will in the world, it will take 3 generations from nothing to bear fruit in any numbers, can we wait that long?

I honestly don’t know how long it would take, but I know it won’t happen if you don’t try. My biggest criticism of TWP under Argyle was that they didn’t seem to want to deal with Canada RL and we saw little attempt to investigate the large numbers playing high school RU to see if any would be possibilities for a switch. Therefore I do think that if TWP are readmitted there has to be a commitment to development of the grass roots which also needs to be monitored and even assisted by an RFL development plan, rather than just leaving them to their own devices.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Its been obvious for a while.  I fear that many of the posters live in a 'dream' thinking things will ever be the same as they were.   Covid has changed everything, for all sports.   Change is a constant and in this case accelerated since RL in the UK is not a rich sport.  As the news slowly hits home many clubs will suffer, let us hope all survive and the Covid is eventually rectified in a couple of years.  Tough times ahead for everyone really.

But we can't be afraid and we have to accept the new realities and be ready, willing and able to do the best we can in these troubled days.  Of course, every cloud has a silver lining and if things are done properly there can be a good strong rebirth, an opportunity if you will.  We need a plan for both the former and the latter...that is the simple truth of it.

Archived