The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Eddie said:

Not gladly but it would happen, just like it does in football when clubs sell their best players to the wealthier teams, and like it has always happened in RL just substitute Leeds, Wigan and Saints for Twp Ottawa and NY. 

I have the utmost respect for you Harry, but I just can’t understand why you’re so against TWP. Each to their own though. 

As I have said Eddie, my concern is not the TWP or any other club over the Atlantic, has hard as I try I cannot mesh transcontinental teams within our system.

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

As I have said Eddie, my concern is not the TWP or any other club over the Atlantic, has hard as I try I cannot mesh transcontinental teams within our system.

I can't mesh at least half the English teams within our system but I still persist.

18 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I can't mesh at least half the English teams within our system but I still persist.

Well it will all come out in the wash Tommy, I have never expected that any new Sky deal would be anywhere near comparable with the existing one the game enjoy's, but as reported it gets anywhere near the reduction that is being stated your persistence will not have to be nowhere near taxing as you find it now.

But not all will be lost, the sport will adjust and clubs will find their level, but as in any walk of life those who spend the most will find a reduction harder to adjust to. 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well it will all come out in the wash Tommy, I have never expected that any new Sky deal would be anywhere near comparable with the existing one the game enjoy's, but as reported it gets anywhere near the reduction that is being stated your persistence will not have to be nowhere near taxing as you find it now.

But not all will be lost, the sport will adjust and clubs will find their level, but as in any walk of life those who spend the most will find a reduction harder to adjust to. 

The defined full time/part time split may be upon us.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

The defined full time/part time split may be upon us.

And that may not be a bad thing. The game simply doesn't have the money to fund full time Championship teams outside the top flight, particularly when those leagues bring in no, or very little, TV income.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

And that may not be a bad thing. The game simply doesn't have the money to fund full time Championship teams outside the top flight, particularly when those leagues bring in no, or very little, TV income.

Quite. I must admit I had hoped we could get to a stage with 2 fully professional leagues with the additions of Toronto, Ottawa, Toulouse etc. plus a handful of English teams stepping up too. That now looks unlikely sadly.

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

Which makes it more certain that teams from foriegn parts will have to contribute.

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Quite. I must admit I had hoped we could get to a stage with 2 fully professional leagues with the additions of Toronto, Ottawa, Toulouse etc. plus a handful of English teams stepping up too. That now looks unlikely sadly.

I think you are correct Tommy, but it will be 5 or 6 maximum clubs distributing any budgets, and they will be keeping the lions share "in house", SL will be unrecognisable in 2 years time, and who will want 10 repeat showings on TV each season?

On 29/10/2020 at 14:10, Blind side johnny said:

RL exists because its fanbase and player base have and always had much lower levels of disposable income. This isn't an excuse, simply an unavoidable fact.

Johnny it was not intended to excuse anything simply explain the logic of its supposed cheapness, there is little alternative and reflects very little leeway in increased revenue.

However this comes as no surpise :

"Toronto Wolfpack: 11 clubs will be urged to turn down Canadian side's return to Super League"

Ever decreasing circles image.png.f27260708e63e382f113e6ccc9db6536.png image.png.f27260708e63e382f113e6ccc9db6536.pngimage.png.f27260708e63e382f113e6ccc9db6536.png should be 11 of these for the SL meeting.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Dear Canadians and anyone from North America who may be interested in RL as a sport,

You'd be much better putting your money elsewhere. This letter is only to stop you from wasting time and cash on a sport that doesn't want you.

Yours faithfully Oxford. xxx

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Dear Canadians and anyone from North America who may be interested in RL as a sport,

You'd be much better putting your money elsewhere. This letter is only to stop you from wasting time and cash on a sport that doesn't want you.

Yours faithfully Oxford. xxx

I really really really want an Aston Martin...... however, I cant afford one. Simple economics in the Evans household suggests I make do with a quashqai. 

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

I really really really want an Aston Martin...... however, I cant afford one. Simple economics in the Evans household suggests I make do with a quashqai. 

A Quashqai, eeeh we would have loved a Quashqai!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

20 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

A Quashqai, eeeh we would have loved a Quashqai!

19 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

In a cracked cup!!!🤣🤣🤣

Luxury! 

if the BBC report is accurate and Elstone and his brain trust get their way I'd think the most worried man in RL would be Eric Perez..if they can it once they can do it twice. What a way to run a competition!

5 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

if the BBC report is accurate and Elstone and his brain trust get their way I'd think the most worried man in RL would be Eric Perez..if they can it once they can do it twice. What a way to run a competition!

I'll say it again, we haven't got access to the numbers to decide whether it is or isn't the right decision. 

We can pass an opinion based on the snippets of info we have. But the one's charged with making this decision do have all the info to make an informed decision. 

They may well be running the comp.the best way they can given the circumstances.

Serious question emerges now, what if the clubs vote to keep Toronto in?

Is Elstone's position tenable given his now officially stated position on this? And considering it is repeatedly stated that it is the "big clubs" that want Toronto in too. Would he effectively become like David Cameron on the 24th June 2016?

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Serious question emerges now, what if the clubs vote to keep Toronto in?

Is Elstone's position tenable given his now officially stated position on this? And considering it is repeatedly stated that it is the "big clubs" that want Toronto in too. Would he effectively become like David Cameron on the 24th June 2016?

If the vote goes the way of twp  then they're in and take up a sl place next term and I would suggest whilst it doesn't represent a no confidence vote in Elstone, his position will be precarious at very best.

The 2nd Big question is if twp are rejected, how will SL be made up next season.

Archived