The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dave T said:

The season is due to start in Feb, so we will find out pretty quickly. 

So is it conceivable for Toronto to be in a position to start to compete in SL in 3 months ?

And if not ,what's the point ?

14 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So is it conceivable for Toronto to be in a position to start to compete in SL in 3 months ?

I think it's possible yes. I suspect there will be some players floating around. 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think it's possible yes. I suspect there will be some players floating around. 

' Floating about ' ? , Seriously ? , That sounds like Leigh's recruitment in 2005 , and we all know how that ended up 

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

' Floating about ' ? , Seriously ? , That sounds like Leigh's recruitment in 2005 , and we all know how that ended up 

We don't need to judge everyone by Leigh's standards, maybe they won't do squad numbers alphabetically... 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

I say no, at least not a squad that’s capable of competing in games, plus the need to sort out the relevant paperwork for imports. As you said earlier, do it right or don’t do it.

42 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Not sure if this has been covered in the last 380 pages!

Cronulla Sharks making a play for Brian Mac as an assistant.

Wouldn’t blame him for going, great opportunity to learn in the NRL.

If Toronto aren't readmitted, I'll have lost the only reason to stay interested in in Super league and the English game in general.

Sadly, I think the English administration who run the game, want it this way. Seeing as I don't live along the m62, I don't think they would care less if my interest stopped.   

1 hour ago, Omott91 said:

If Toronto aren't readmitted, I'll have lost the only reason to stay interested in in Super league and the English game in general.

Sadly, I think the English administration who run the game, want it this way. Seeing as I don't live along the m62, I don't think they would care less if my interest stopped.   

Funny enough, I had not been more interested in the SL ever at the start of a season than I had at the start of this one. Like you, most of this was due to the Wolfpack.

I was also keen and optimistic at seeing Maloney and Falou giving Catalan a great shot at the title.

That all fizzled our very quick and within 6 months, I’ve never been less interested.

On 26/10/2020 at 12:21, Quolls2020 said:

I agree, 2 points seems very small in light of the initial super league response...I wonder if by “have agreed“ to a 2 point reduction that’s what the Wolfpack have “offered”?

From BBC news

“As part of their re-entry into Super League, Toronto have also set their own terms. They want an equal share of the central TV funding, something they have not had access to before. And they say they are only willing to accept a two-point deduction next season, as punishment for their withdrawal from this year's competition.”

so it was not a condition from SL it is a demand from TWP.

I find it laughable that the SL would even consider a single point deduction in 2021 as consequence for pulling out of a Covid season.

Edit note* just realised, this may be a deduction for going into administration, at which point, a different ruling to my note above

Also from the BBC

The four-man Super League executive committee, which has looked into this re-submission, concludes there is still not enough evidence for Toronto to be welcomed back.

Their report - some of which has been seen by the BBC - concludes that the submission by LiVolsi does not provide sufficient evidence of long-term funding for the club.

It says there is no further evidence provided to support the prospective new owner's ability to fund the club.

And they are unable to conclude favourably, due to lack of evidence in the correspondence supplied, on the prospective new owner's commitment to future funding.

They also say it is apparent that Wolf Grooming, LiVolsi's Canada-based men's grooming company, features prominently in the submission and that his motivations seem to be based around the development of that business.

From a previous post

Seems to me that he is saying
He is buying in to promote his product
He wants Super League to Promote his product.
He wants Super League to pay for this promotion.
And because of the greatness of his product he will not accept anything less than staying in Super League (forever?)
It doesn’t matter that they may have few players
He is not that interested in a Rugby League.
He walked away from the Wolfpack when he didn’t get his way.

seems the SL board feel the same way

9 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Surprised by Gary Hetherington’s keenness.

If there are still big holes in Toronto’s submission on funding, and the whole thing is predicated on the batsh*t crazy Wolf Grooming thing, and there is no tangible broadcast value to them being in, and they want TV money, why vote for them?

Nothing surprising about it. Unlike many on here, the man has enough vision and foresight to see past the end of his nose and rightfully sees the significant long-term benefits to his team and the sport as a whole from having Toronto in and is therefore understandably keen to give it a proper go.  Others on here and in the world of RL, on the other hand, have never had any open mind towards giving it a go and, on the contrary, have picked holes in every tiny aspect of TWP for the whole of their existence, in a way that they never do for any other club, almost as if they had a huge amount of resentment towards them and the fact that they already had higher crowds than half of super league after just 3 years, and enthusiastic fans at that.

Well, it been a good ride lads. As a TWP fan I loved every minute of it, it always seemed like a hair-brained scheme. The truth is that is was a house built on sand, there isn't enough content to sell for a North American TV deal, and almost no local roots. I loved the game days at Lamport, and getting to know about the teams in the north of England. Had some good nights with the travelling fans. The sport is an amazing spectacle, which unfortunately doesn't get the coverage it deserves. I'll have nothing but positive memories of the experience.

1 hour ago, Quolls2020 said:

changed for accuracy 😉

The trouble is TWP knew the feelings amongst SL clubs and they still hoped for a fair hearing. Cynics would argue the decision had already been made at meetings held in the clubs' wallets. This is understandable given clubs' records on the future of the game and the interests of the game as a whole. If you imagine their sudden road to Damascus conversion to due dilligence is a sign of change rather than a symptom of the old ways then your faith in miracles is far greater than mine.

I have never felt SBW had the interests of RL at heart in the whole of his career and although I rated him as a sportsman of the highest sort I can't help but hold this against him.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 hours ago, ojx said:

Well, it been a good ride lads. As a TWP fan I loved every minute of it, it always seemed like a hair-brained scheme. The truth is that is was a house built on sand, there isn't enough content to sell for a North American TV deal, and almost no local roots. I loved the game days at Lamport, and getting to know about the teams in the north of England. Had some good nights with the travelling fans. The sport is an amazing spectacle, which unfortunately doesn't get the coverage it deserves. I'll have nothing but positive memories of the experience.

Now, you and the thousands like you that have attended Lamport thus year are the ones I feel for most. You bought into rugby league and enjoyed it.... just like I do. To have it, then have someone lose it, particulary as things were getting really interesting  is crapola.

Is it the right decision.... dunno. Plenty of us have an opinion.

6 hours ago, Quolls2020 said:

From BBC news

“As part of their re-entry into Super League, Toronto have also set their own terms. They want an equal share of the central TV funding, something they have not had access to before. And they say they are only willing to accept a two-point deduction next season, as punishment for their withdrawal from this year's competition.”

so it was not a condition from SL it is a demand from TWP.

With the way stories are generally reported in the UK media, I should not take this at face value. Things are seldom as written in an English journal these days. And even if true, negotiations always have starting points for both sides.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived