The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Aside from the question of where the funding shortfall would actually come from neither TWP nor CC are glowing examples. Unpaid bills and wages (long before Covid) and dodgy visas aren't exactly what I'd say is how to do expansion well.

So you've shifted you argument from the popularity of the sport and how a club has thrived, which is what your entire post was about, to something else entirely i.e the management of the clubs. Its just as well existing Rugby League clubs never have these issues isn't it?

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Damien said:

So you've shifted you argument from the popularity of the sport and how a club has thrived, which is what your entire post was about, to something else entirely i.e the management of the clubs. Its just as well existing Rugby League clubs never have these issues isn't it?

Well aye.... twp is popular. Their crowds are testimony to that. But the club managent was rank.

Why would you not apply more scrutiny to a club which has so many well documented issues? Not doing so would be disgraceful.

4 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Well aye.... twp is popular. Their crowds are testimony to that. But the club managent was rank.

Why would you not apply more scrutiny to a club which has so many well documented issues? Not doing so would be disgraceful.

Well certainly some on here seem a little obsessed about applying scrutiny to TWP and their issues and have been for nigh on 400 pages in this thread alone. Glass houses and throwing stones certainly springs to mind.

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

So very few examples of such, then? 

Well you asked for the most recent which for 2 examples infers only 2 possible answers?Administration is far more common after suffering a serious financial calamaty such as a global pandemic or relegation from Super League.

With that in mind the two most recent examples of "administration" and "failure to fulfill fixtures" were last year (Widnes) and Yesterday (Salford).

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Well you asked for the most recent which for 2 examples infers only 2 possible answers?Administration is far more common after suffering a serious financial calamaty such as a global pandemic or relegation from Super League.

With that in mind the two most recent examples of "administration" and "failure to fulfill fixtures" were last year (Widnes) and Yesterday (Salford).

Wigan?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Widnes did not go into administration as a Super League club. 

Salford have not forfeited the season (as yet). 

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Widnes did not go into administration as a Super League club. 

Salford have not forfeited the season (as yet). 

This does seem an odd track on the thread. Does it show, prove or illustrate much?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Just now, Oxford said:

This does seem an odd track on the thread. Does it show, prove illustrate much?

People seem to think Toronto should be measured exactly the same as any Super League club. It’s a fallacy to believe they should be given their location and their misdemeanours prior to doing a flit. 

20 minutes ago, Damien said:

Well certainly some on here seem a little obsessed about applying scrutiny to TWP and their issues and have been for nigh on 400 pages in this thread alone. Glass houses and throwing stones certainly springs to mind.

Well, if im honest I can see why.

TWP failed spectacularly and if reports in the media are correct,  their resubmission plan is rank.

Given the demands made for readmission to SL made by livolsi et al, I would hope that scrutiny is applied.

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

People seem to think Toronto should be measured exactly the same as any Super League club. It’s a fallacy to believe they should be given their location and their misdemeanours prior to doing a flit. 

No clubs are treated the same , it is impossible to do so , anybody suggesting they should is nuts 

13 hours ago, Omott91 said:

If Toronto aren't readmitted, I'll have lost the only reason to stay interested in in Super league and the English game in general.

Sadly, I think the English administration who run the game, want it this way. Seeing as I don't live along the m62, I don't think they would care less if my interest stopped.   

Let's hope that factors like this are considered by the Super League board when deciding on the "added value" of having a team in Canada... in addition to any (future) benefits coming out of Canada of seeds sown there (discussed enough elsewhere in this thread), when SL talks about "fishing where the fish are", there sure as hell aren't any more fish than there are in Aus. SL needs to up its visibility in Australia - there's clearly demand for RL there and money to be made. Exploiting the presence of a glamour club in Canada that clearly does pique RL fans' interest in Australia (see the post I quote above and the one immediately next to it) is exactly the type of thing that can help it do that. 

13 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Well, if im honest I can see why.

TWP failed spectacularly and if reports in the media are correct,  their resubmission plan is rank.

Given the demands made for readmission to SL made by livolsi et al, I would hope that scrutiny is applied.

In your opinion they failed spectacularly. I think to say that is complete nonsense.

I do think it is quite correct that close scrutiny is applied on their readmission and I already said several pages back that there needs to be a bond to ensure they have funds to see out the season in the event of them not having home fixtures in 2021. There is no point a proposal being based on playing in England to just June for example as no one knows what will happen in the next 8 months. I also don't see the benefit to anyone of Toronto spending a fortune next season to be playing in England and not in Toronto.

57 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I don't see the point of even discussing them attempting to play in SL next year , it's crazy 

The alternative of no rugby league, and therefore zero money entering the sport which ultimately means oblivion, is far more crazy.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

I don't see the point of even discussing them attempting to play in SL next year , it's crazy 

and how many teams SL/Ch/L1 will be around for the 2022 season if there are no crowds allowed into stadiums next year? even if they are allowed from say May or June?...I understand the RLWC2021 organizers are looking at restricted scenarios even at this stage for Oct/Nov...

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The alternative of no rugby league, and therefore zero money entering the sport which ultimately means oblivion, is far more crazy.

It is Toronto we are discussing , essentially a ' hollow ' club , no infrastructure , few if any employee's , no actual commitments ( other than historical debt , which might not get paid either way ) , who will be unable to service their only asset ( the fans who turned up at Lamport ) till late spring 2022 

So whatever decisions or criteria is sorted now might be obsolete or unworkable in anything under 6 months time 

So put them in ' deep freeze ' until next April , and then re open the folder with Toronto Wolfpack SL on the cover then 

This will then allow all the other clubs and the sports administrators to concentrate on trying to keep a competition and an opposition for them to play against eventually 

Sheer madness 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

It is Toronto we are discussing , essentially a ' hollow ' club , no infrastructure , few if any employee's , no actual commitments ( other than historical debt , which might not get paid either way ) , who will be unable to service their only asset ( the fans who turned up at Lamport ) till late spring 2022 

So whatever decisions or criteria is sorted now might be obsolete or unworkable in anything under 6 months time 

So put them in ' deep freeze ' until next April , and then re open the folder with Toronto Wolfpack SL on the cover then 

This will then allow all the other clubs and the sports administrators to concentrate on trying to keep a competition and an opposition for them to play against eventually 

Sheer madness 

I don't disagree, but we're also talking of getting Second and Third division teams playing next year too

12 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

and how many teams SL/Ch/L1 will be around for the 2022 season if there are no crowds allowed into stadiums next year? even if they are allowed from say May or June?...I understand the RLWC2021 organizers are looking at restricted scenarios even at this stage for Oct/Nov...

Exactly , the easiest club to stick in the freezer without damaging it or anybody is Toronto , now is the time to concentrate on making sure there is a competition for them to play in in the future 

Archived