The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

Just now, briggyq said:

Is there anywhere for them to go now?

I have come across as anti Wolfpack but if anything im anti bad business and I just cant and couldn't get my head round a transatlantic team, the numbers never added up at all it was always going to be at the largesse of an owner of said club surely as most teams in SL dont have the preferable pot to urinate in.

No idea tbh. Ottawa will be in League 1 next season.

The problem yet again is those teams in SL without a pot to urinate in are deciding the future of the sport in their own favour.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Three of the four most progressive clubs, I’ve surprised that the other (Wire) voted against. Maybe the rest want to get Fev in instead, to really put the game on the global map. 

I mean that is my conclusion too 😂 

I have full faith they'll break ranks once no season ticket money comes in and they vote to cut the league to 10.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

No idea tbh. Ottawa will be in League 1 next season.

The problem yet again is those teams in SL without a pot to urinate in are deciding the future of the sport in their own favour.

If you were behind the Ottawa bid would you put your money in now? I wouldn’t. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do Wakey (and everyone else) have to provide proof of funding? 

🥱

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Funnily enough, I've just got off the blower to my dyed in the wool flat capped mate who is not in favour of twp but again raises the question of how it can be the SL chairmen can decide this outcome.

One hopes this is the right decision. I haven't seen the data to comment either way

As I've just said to Eddie and Wildcat, it sets a dangerous precedent about the outlook of the league when Season ticket money will not roll in for next year and some clubs face financial oblivion. 

I know my club will be fine, but virtually every other Super League, Championship and League 1 club I fear for given this decision.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

If you were behind the Ottawa bid would you put your money in now? I wouldn’t. 

Depends what the conversations with the RFL are now. In all honesty could we see a SL war style power grab? Take the best of the championship (Leigh, Bradford, Halifax, London, Sheffield, Widnes, Fev) add the pulling power of Leeds and Saints, Catalans and Toulouse, and Ottawa and Toronto and suddenly there's a 12 team league not massively less valuable than the 11 currently. Indeed all bar Fev, Ottawa and Toulouse have been Super League teams in the past.

Its worrying that the RFL and the SL don't see eye to eye on this.

For me the issue was the "New Club" failed to show how they had progressed from the previous club. It still felt like the costing was on the back of an envelope and that the clubs should "trust them" 

I don't think it did the game any favours with players saying they hadn't been paid prior to COVID, TWP saying they will play then as the fixtures are out, say sorry no can do.

If this was Salford or Wakefield we would have  a huge point deduction and most likely kicked out of the SL. We can't afford to watch the mess unfold as the Bradford Bulls did with multiple failures.

I really want the game to grow but not sure it can work for a team that far away. 

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Its worrying that the RFL and the SL don't see eye to eye on this.

That's probably the biggest problem about the whole Toronto situation. Going back to threads of Eddie Hearn, etc.

What is strategy of the game, will it continue being 11 teams now, or will we see 1 team promotion into SL. What do the current laws stipulate on this matter.

This is just the start of the squabble.

Terrible situation.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

27 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Can we vote out Wakefield, Salford and Cas now? Easy 6 million right there!

Wakefield who have just completed its 13th League fixture since lockdown?  Doing its share to ensure Super League get this years Sky money?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Predictable I'm afraid, a handful of clubs now around £100,000 better off. So after 25yrs still no strategy for SL

Clubs playing in derlict grounds,small towns and crowds,little international progression,little wonder that sponsors and tv companies dont want to pay for the product.

Replacement,'traditional' minor clubs such as Leigh or Featherstone,who I'm afraid offer absolutely nothing to sponsors or Sky,whilst Casand Wakefield continue to make promises,until the game finally dies.

Very disappointing.

Probably a bigger margin than I imagined, actually, though it was the decision I was expecting. 

It’s been a fun journey to watch from the outside over the past few years but ultimately, there’s been plenty of failings involved that’s led to their demise. This was all the dream work of Eric Perez. I like Perez, from the few times I’ve listened to him, he speaks well and actually seems to have an understanding of the sport from a business and fan aspect. However, his plans were never part of any IRL, RFL and/or Super League expansion drive and as such, there was never anything resembling a plan or even basic GCSE Business Studies in smart goals in place by anyone so it was all a bit up in the air. That said, you can’t act and run a business how Argyle did pre-Covid. Bills went unpaid, player wages were not paid on time and the alarm bells should have been ringing then, really.

Ultimately, Robert Elstone was right to want assurances from them before joining Super League. Whether that was because of the issues from before their time in Super League, the added issues with transatlantic travel or a mixture of both, I’m not sure but it was the right thing to do, though they passed the test then. 

They were set up to fail in many ways but also did plenty themselves to make this decision for the teams and Super League easier. If we do things better, like how we did with Catalans, then expansion can work but this was a bad attempt at expansion in some ways. 

Anyway, sad for the people that bought into Rugby League out there and followed Toronto, it looks like the end for a Toronto club but maybe we’ll see a way back, one day. 

Whatever the rights and wrongs of today's decision, I was delighted to see thousands of Canadians enjoying the sport we all love in the flesh and it feels like that may be lost now.  I certainly hope not and I hope Canada can continue to fall in love with Rugby League.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Wakefield who have just completed its 13th League fixture since lockdown?  Doing its share to ensure Super League get this years Sky money?

Doing their best to ensure they get their money you mean. 

1 minute ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Wakefield who have just completed its 13th fixture since lockdown?  Doing its share to ensure Super League get this years Sky money?

Wakefield who have repeatedly been reported for not paying the minimum wage, have a director who told a "professional" that his wage cut to £15k was "loads" when he complained about having to get a second job, and the obvious, play and train out of a certified dump.

Archived