The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

21 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Three of the four most progressive clubs, I’ve surprised that the other (Wire) voted against. Maybe the rest want to get Fev in instead, to really put the game on the global map. 

No need to pick on us, we didn't have a vote!

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

That's probably the biggest problem about the whole Toronto situation. Going back to threads of Eddie Hearn, etc.

What is strategy of the game, will it continue being 11 teams now, or will we see 1 team promotion into SL. What do the current laws stipulate on this matter.

This is just the start of the squabble.

Terrible situation.

No vision, no leadership, just wait till they start voting to kick eachother out to get their sky money

Just now, Eddie said:

Doing their best to ensure they get their money you mean. 

Sky needed 75 fixtures for all the clubs to receive the funding.  That's 11 clubs who are busting a gut!

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

4 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

Bye guys  it has been fun. Hope you all make it.

I'm actually gutted for people like you mate. Will wear my Toronto shirt to games when they restart with pride.

Can't blame union shenanigans for this one sadly.

17 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I guess those players not being paid will remain unpaid now. 

Yup.

Whilst some of those elsewhere take home button money.

No wonder we lose players left, right and centre.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9-4 seems pretty brutal. Thought it would be closer.

Will need to see what is agreed on the structure to know what it all 'means' for the top level game as a whole.

But in terms of the fans of Toronto, who now no longer have a team, it must be gutting. Awful to see a club die no matter what your opinion of its owner (or anything else connected to it) is.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Wakefield who have repeatedly been reported for not paying the minimum wage, have a director who told a "professional" that his wage cut to £15k was "loads" when he complained about having to get a second job, and the obvious, play and train out of a certified dump.

Aww Diddums.  Same old club getting right up your pudendum.  🥱

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 minute ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Aww Diddums.  Same old club getting right up your pudendum.  🥱

Mate I don't really have an issue, but I also realise people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, and that 10 clubs is as likely as 11 next year.

26 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

As I've just said to Eddie and Wildcat, it sets a dangerous precedent about the outlook of the league when Season ticket money will not roll in for next year and some clubs face financial oblivion. 

I know my club will be fine, but virtually every other Super League, Championship and League 1 club I fear for given this decision.

How are these two things connected?

Would these "threatened" clubs have been fine if the decision had gone the other way?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

A sad day for Rugby League if this is the end of the Toronto story. I never thought I would see crowds like I say for Rugby League in Canada and I would hate to see all that go to waste. As always in Rugby League it seems one step forward and two back.

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Theyll go with eleven. Its too late to promote a champ club now and have a hope in he ll of recruiting a SL ready team for the start of next season

I'm not sure about that, I genuinely believe there's some teams heading for financial disaster in Super League. We've seen Saints say they need help, more will follow.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

2 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

How are these two things connected?

Would these "threatened" clubs have been fine if the decision had gone the other way?

No, but the precedent that the clubs hold the right to vote out another club wasn't set. I'm sure 1.6 million or whatever it ends up being will be very appealing to clubs looking at an even 10 team league next season

16 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Sky needed 75 fixtures for all the clubs to receive the funding.  That's 11 clubs who are busting a gut!

I know, but Wakey aren’t doing it for SL, they’re doing it for themselves, so they can carry on trying to avoid relegation playing in front of 5,000 in a dump of a ground for the next few years. 

Archived