The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

No vision, no leadership, just wait till they start voting to kick eachother out to get their sky money

I cant stop laughing.  Here you are complaining about a new logo one minute, then complain about lack of vision when faced with rubber cheque?

Where is the money?  We have been here before. Ive been bitten once. Im not going to be takes for a sucker twice.

And as far as vision goes, Wigan lost loads of money on a venture to Australia.  Maybe they realise the value of dubious speculation.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

9-4 seems pretty brutal. Thought it would be closer.

Will need to see what is agreed on the structure to know what it all 'means' for the top level game as a whole.

But in terms of the fans of Toronto, who now no longer have a team, it must be gutting. Awful to see a club die no matter what your opinion of its owner (or anything else connected to it) is.

Sadly, this margin seems to indicate that the bid fell a long way short of being close to acceptable. Paint the SL chairmen as a bunch of flat-cappers all that some might they do also understand business pretty well. This isn't a condemnation of a vision but of a pretty poor proposal in the first instance.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

In all seriousness why would they want to when they have seen what happens anyway once they get to the top?

If I had enough money I'd do it just to wind everyone up. But that's the only reason. And you should see the Toronto hotel I'd be putting visiting players up in.

But it's not going to happen. Today is the end of Toronto RL. Probably the end of rugby league in Canada for a long time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

Sadly, this margin seems to indicate that the bid fell a long way short of being close to acceptable. Paint the SL chairmen as a bunch of flat-cappers all that some might they do also understand business pretty well. This isn't a condemnation of a vision but of a pretty poor proposal in the first instance.

My final point of view will depend on what we learn about the bid and what then happens with regards to the structure.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

32 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Surprised that Wigan and Warrington voted against.

Now lets have a 400 page thread about who should replace them IMHO LONDON BRONCOS as they were relegated with 10 wins and were replaced by TW:)

Let the posts commence ladies and gentlemen:)

No, London is too far from the M62, and we don’t want the game played in big well known cities anyway. I’m thinking maybe Wigan St Judes or West Hull should take their place. 

1 minute ago, Chris Taylor said:

I'm not sure about that, I genuinely believe there's some teams heading for financial disaster in Super League. We've seen Saints say they need help, more will follow.

Agreed, its not a sign of rude health, and with no season ticket money incoming, its going to be a tough winter

3 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I cant stop laughing.  Here you are complaining about a new logo one minute, then complain about lack of vision when faced with rubber cheque?

Where is the money?  We have been here before. Ive been bitten once. Im not going to be takes for a sucker twice.

And as far as vision goes, Wigan lost loads of money on a venture to Australia.  Maybe they realise the value of dubious speculation.

I think Wigan are clearly not very savvy then

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If I had enough money I'd do it just to wind everyone up. But that's the only reason. And you should see the Toronto hotel I'd be putting visiting players up in.

But it's not going to happen. Today is the end of Toronto RL. Probably the end of rugby league in Canada for a long time.

This is the biggest travesty of all. A decent sized country and market and we have thousands of fans watching the game in a big city. We have another team in the pipeline in Ottawa. People would have said you were crazy just a decade ago if you'd have said we'd have two professional teams in Canada. RL has been crying out for growth like this in new markets. I despair at the thought of all this being thrown away.

Just now, gingerjon said:

My final point of view will depend on what we learn about the bid and what then happens with regards to the structure.

Eggsbloodyzactly...... we know very little about the bid.

If it was shabily put together, with more holes in it that a colander, and the SL chair treated with an element of contempt, then I'd expect such an outcome.

If the bid was tight, well presented etc then I'd expect a different outcome.

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

9-4 seems pretty brutal. Thought it would be closer.

Will need to see what is agreed on the structure to know what it all 'means' for the top level game as a whole.

But in terms of the fans of Toronto, who now no longer have a team, it must be gutting. Awful to see a club die no matter what your opinion of its owner (or anything else connected to it) is.

Errr... pardon me??   Toronto went bankrupt.  And all of a sudden its someone elses fault?  We were all made to look stupid... and some clearly still cant walk and chew gum at the same time.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

This is the biggest travesty of all. A decent sized country and market and we have thousands of fans watching the game in a big city. We have another team in the pipeline in Ottawa. People would have said you were crazy just a decade ago if you'd have said we'd have two professional teams in Canada. RL has been crying out for growth like this in new markets. I despair at the thought of all this being thrown away.

Was there actually any link between Canada RL and Toronto? I can’t remember ever seeing anything was done in conjunction with each other. 

1 minute ago, Themusician_2 said:

My big worry is rugby league in Ontario was already struggling with Toronto there. This might just kill the game.

But they don't like rugby league man, nobody except people born within the boundaries of the original 22 likes rugby league

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

No, London is too far from the M62, and we don’t want the game played in big well known cities anyway. I’m thinking maybe Wigan St Judes or West Hull should take their place. 

No mate those 2 clubs are in a well run forward thinking league,they wouldn’t want anything to do with not so “Superleague”

4 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Errr... pardon me??   Toronto went bankrupt.  And all of a sudden its someone elses fault?  We were all made to look stupid... and some clearly still cant walk and chew gum at the same time.

Read what I wrote. You can even go back, if you're very bored, and look at what I've written before.

Toronto failing to pay their players is a disgrace. Their previous reported failures to pay suppliers is and was dodgy.

My sympathies today are with their fans, of whom they got rather a lot very quickly, and with those who were trying to make it, and RL in Canada more generally, work.

I'm not blaming anyone.

Archived