The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Well it does if you’re trying to say that Canada Rugby League will cease to exist if there wasn’t actually any tenuous link between the Canada RL organisation and the Wolfpack. 

I didn't say that, you have just blatantly made it up.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

I didn't say that, you have just blatantly made it up.

You literally said you “despair at the thought of this” in relation to a point about Rugby League ceasing to exist. It would be a good point if Canada RL and Toronto actually worked in conjunction with each other. 

Just now, Themusician_2 said:

Rumour has it the new owners couldnt show they could fund the team. Makes senses why they were rejected

Indeed, won't stop some still being hysterical on here and blaming the 'tinpot' clubs for TWP's demise! 

I think a lot of people are disappointed because of what Toronto were in their heads. The reality was very much different. The first sign of trouble and the millionaire ran, and for the current one the rugby seems to be a side interest. 

Toronto were not expansion,  they were in effect an on the road millionairres play thing based in Manchester that played some games in Canada. 

RL needs grow but not at all costs. Are we that desperate we are willing to overlook the warning signs of a club built sand, or should the league insist any new ventures have some substance. 

Also, with the vote not been even close, one can assume the bid was sub standard as opposed to it being the 'small minded tin pot clubs' who rejected the out of fear. 

18 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Will sky agree to 11? Sky will agree as long as they get their allocated number of games

It was bad enough wìth 12 teams, and it will be twice as bad if there is no jeopardy to screen, one can only take so many of the repeat games being televised, Sky would be minus my subscription and I expect I would not be on my own.

1 minute ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

I think a lot of people are disappointed because of what Toronto were in their heads. The reality was very much different. The first sign of trouble and the millionaire ran, and for the current one the rugby seems to be a side interest. 

Toronto were not expansion,  they were in effect an on the road millionairres play thing based in Manchester that played some games in Canada. 

RL needs grow but not at all costs. Are we that desperate we are willing to overlook the warning signs of a club built sand, or should the league insist any new ventures have some substance. 

Also, with the vote not been even close, one can assume the bid was sub standard as opposed to it being the 'small minded tin pot clubs' who rejected the out of fear. 

This. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

You literally said you “despair at the thought of this” in relation to a point about Rugby League ceasing to exist. It would be a good point if Canada RL and Toronto actually worked in conjunction with each other. 

What I exactly said is shown below, without your selective edit. I never mentioned Canada Rugby League or that it will cease to exist, that is quite clear. For some bizarre reason you are trying to create a strawman. Either that or you cant understand.

21 minutes ago, Damien said:

This is the biggest travesty of all. A decent sized country and market and we have thousands of fans watching the game in a big city. We have another team in the pipeline in Ottawa. People would have said you were crazy just a decade ago if you'd have said we'd have two professional teams in Canada. RL has been crying out for growth like this in new markets. I despair at the thought of all this being thrown away.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It was bad enough wìth 12 teams, and it will be twice as bad if there is no jeopardy to screen, one can only take so many of the repeat games being televised, Sky would be minus my subscription and I expect I would not be on my own.

No they wouldn't H, they have the NRL, isn't that what you said was all you watched for?

Chris Irvine the former Times RL correspondent clearly very angry

Ottawa, New York, Timbuktu - honestly, forget it. Super League will get a drastically reduced new Sky contract from 2022, reflecting, alas, the true value of a sport without ambition. #Rugbyleague the Greatest Game of All, but led by some who know sod all. Sad, troubling day.

23 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Eggsbloodyzactly...... we know very little about the bid.

If it was shabily put together, with more holes in it that a colander, and the SL chair treated with an element of contempt, then I'd expect such an outcome.

If the bid was tight, well presented etc then I'd expect a different outcome.

If your highlighted sentance was the case I should think we would have had a different decision today.

I have not commented on Toronto's expulsion and see no point whatsoever in doing so until I have seen why the vote was made in the fashion it was, it just amazes me that people have come to some conclusions without seeing the evidence, there are some very expierenced buisness men who have scrutinised Livolsi's second submussion and come to their decision, plenty on here ridiculing it have probably have been nowhere near a buisness meeting or boardroom in their lifeand they are suddenly self appointed experts.

1 minute ago, Yosser said:

Chris Irvine the former Times RL correspondent clearly very angry

Ottawa, New York, Timbuktu - honestly, forget it. Super League will get a drastically reduced new Sky contract from 2022, reflecting, alas, the true value of a sport without ambition. #Rugbyleague the Greatest Game of All, but led by some who know sod all. Sad, troubling day.

He was probably fancying a jolly, which has been cruelly ripped away from him. Toronto presence/non-presance won't make an iota of a difference to what Sky offer. 

40 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

No, but the precedent that the clubs hold the right to vote out another club wasn't set. I'm sure 1.6 million or whatever it ends up being will be very appealing to clubs looking at an even 10 team league next season

I genuine believe that is where Super League is heading and giving then clubs more TV money and in my opinion it's toss up between Salford, Castleford and Wakefield who are put down to the championship.

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

What I exactly said is shown below, without your selective edit. I never mentioned Canada Rugby League or that it will cease to exist, that is quite clear. For some bizarre reason you are trying to create a strawman. Either that or you cant understand.

You don’t understand what a strawman argument is then. Which is understandable. 

Canada RL existed long before TW, it existed without any conjunction between the two, it will exist after people forget about TW. 

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

If your highlighted sentance was the case I should think we would have had a different decision today.

I have not commented on Toronto's expulsion and see no point whatsoever in doing so until I have seen why the vote was made in the fashion it was, it just amazes me that people have come to some conclusions without seeing the evidence, there are some very expierenced buisness men who have scrutinised Livolsi's second submussion and come to their decision, plenty on here ridiculing it have probably have been nowhere near a buisness meeting or boardroom in their lifeand they are suddenly self appointed experts.

That opinion might carry more weight if it was a unanimous decision.

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

You don’t understand what a strawman argument is then. Which is understandable. 

Canada RL existed long before TW, it existed without any conjunction between the two, it will exist after people forget about TW. 

I actually thought you were being obtuse Oliver but I gave you too much credit, you really just didn't understand. Bless.

Archived